Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unusual 3 days for me. My EDC holster is my denim vest. My EDC stays in there almost every day except Sunday mornings when it goes into the shoulder holster for church, covered by my sport coat. That won't change tomorrow. Yesterday, however, I rode, so my EDC goes into the leather cut for a parts run. Then back to the EDC denim vest. After work we went to Golden Corral and my wife set out a semi-dressy shirt to wear, so neither of those would be appropriate. I didn't feel like going to my 3Speed holster. So I go to the new BugBite holster to break it in. The 8+2+1 magazine (Magguts +2 enhancement) is a bit big for that holster, so I change over to the 8+1+1 mag and put the other in the mag pouch on the opposite side of the BugBite holster. Nice holster as far as comfort, but limited use as it's a bit difficult to conceal with any of the 8+ mags with pinky extensions. After dinner, my EDC went back to the denim vest for the night.

Today, after spending the morning in the denim vest we went to the house to cut grass and clean out the pantry to convert it o a half bath. After spending the morning out with some horses, the denim vest was getting washed. So the EDC makes its home in the 3Speed.

Tomorrow for church my EDC gets moved to the shoulder holster. My EDC doesn't know what home is any longer!

Each one of the standard carries has been modified in some way. The 2 vests have had actual holsters created to custom fit the EDC securely and ready for immediate action. The Kydex holster in the denim vest sits on a semi-soft piece of leather that snaps in 4 places to secure it inside the CCW pocket. The Kydex holster in the leather biker vest sits on stiff saddle leather that slides into the double elastic bands inside the CCW pocket. The 3Speed started to roll and drive the pistol up and out, so it has a saddle leather backer on it to keep it from rolling and I had to do some stitching to tighten up the mag holster portion of the 3Speed. I'll need to do a little more stitching on that as the mag likes to rotate a bit and work its way out.

I THOUGHT the BugBite would avoid any such modifications, but alas, the mag hoster has a rather wide mouth and will also require a little stitching to snug it up a bit so the strap will remain over the magazine. Right now the strap barely holds the mag in place and can easily slip out if it rotates even a little to the back, past the retaining strap. If the strap was in the middle of the mag pouch it would probably be okay, but they put it toward the front of the opening. Not so swift a design. I wish designers would test their products. I've tried a rather nice vest on and it was rather ridiculous design. The pocket would only allow a mouse gun and was on the wrong side of the pocket, away from the body, and very difficult to get one's hand around the grip. And as usual, it holds the pistol in a fully vertical position, making it difficult to draw without undue attention. No subtle withdrawal. You definitely need two hands to get it out quickly, and obviously. No thank you.

One last note to self. I really need to wear an undershirt when I wear the 3Speed as it rubs me raw while doing work at the house. Ugg! The BugBit will likely be my go-to holster during school. I need to start carrying all day given the sad state of affairs we have to deal with and that one seems to be the most practical carry for when I'm working on the property.

·
Vendor
1,620 Posts
I have freakishly long arms and can't hardly find anything that will fit my arms without modifying it, any time I get a leather jacket first thing I do is cut the liner loose from the sleeve cuff than wet the leather sleeve all the way up to the should them tie 50 pound weights on each arm, I've 3 -5 days I've attached the sleeves 4 - 5 inches. I then add to the liner and see the sleeve together. I have thought about adding a holster toy leather jackets.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My leather vest holster is a bugger to get out.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the backside of the shoulder holster. The kydex backer is molded to my shoulder to keep the pistol in place. It's very comfortable and stable. BTW, I've also had to reshape the collar on the denim vest to keep the pressure off my neck. My leather is perfectly fine as is. The denim has a standard coat-type cut and was horrible. For some reason the leather biker vest transfers much of the weight to the back but the denim one carries it all up front.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I saw the vests and thought no way does he live in the SE US; I was wrong. (MO)
A untucked shirt with a-frame (tank) between me & pistol is all the clothes I can tolerate in the heat. 🥵

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw the vests and thought no way does he live in the SE US; I was wrong. (MO)
A untucked shirt with a-frame (tank) between me & pistol is all the clothes I can tolerate in the heat. 🥵
Due to hip problems, I cannot wear anything on a belt. I have to have to wear suspenders all the time to keep the weight off the hips and my belt is elastic. After about 2 hours with a traditional OWB or IWB, I need to go to the chiro.

BTW, shoulder holster is made out of a leather jacket I picked up at DAV, one size too small. It was all of about $20. Cut the sleeves and collar off. Attach the pistol and mag holsters, Trim excess. Voila. Nice and stable, and easy to draw 1-handed. That's my Sunday and winter under a jacket carry.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I first started carrying a gun back in the 70s I bought a trunk full of holsters that looked like a good idea at one time or the other. Strapping on all that crap every time you go out gets to be a real drag and that S#I+ is hot when you live where there's 9 months of summer and 3 months of bad tanning weather. It's fun when it's new but it's ridiculous after a while. If I can't carry a gun in my pocket then forget it. My 11.5 ounce S&W 340PD .357 Mag snubby that I carry in my pocket is more fire power than most anyone carries in their boat anchor guns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts