·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I do carry the 5 rounds of .38+P sjhp or .357 in my jframe

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I never cared for small semi autos. I like J-Frames the most. I normally carry Two daily. I do carry other snubs at times but, always a 442 in my pocket. If it came down to one gun it would be the 5 shooter but, I would always carry extra speed loaders.

·
Super Moderator
18,788 Posts
I always feel like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel when I infrequently choose to carry a runt .380.

I'll vote for the .38 Special stoked with stiff 158 grain lead SWC +P loads. It doesn't even have to be 5-shot if a good 6-shot Colt Detective Special can be secured.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
I carried a 5 shot .38 special snubbie revolver, followed by a 6 shot .357 magnum snubbie, followed by a G19 (lots of rounds!), and now carry a 7 shot .380. They all take the same size barrel cleaning brush. What I carry is what has worked for my body size and physical "capability to carry."

I know that what matters is how accurate your shot placement is.

I do not anticipate having to make 50 yard shots in a self defense situation.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Truthfully, I usually have both with me. .38 5 shot S&W revolver and .380 7 shot semi Walther. Sometimes I carry both at the same time, sometimes just one and the other left in the vehicle. I think they both serve a purpose just like Tennis shoes and Sunday go to meeting shoes, you are ready for the situation or event at hand.

I live by "better to have and not need than to need and not have".

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd go with the 38. Unless we can have a spare mag for the 380 then if probably consider it.
I agree with this. I am a fan of larger capacity so I would carry the .380 if you had a least one backup mag. If not then I think the reliability plus the better ballistics of the 38 special trumps the difference between a 5 shot and 7 shot.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
I prefer the LCP to the LCR just because I can shoot it better Left Handed (I carry it as a weak side BUG)

Reactions: piguy

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Ill throw a little twist in here... I carry a 9 shot 32 auto. It's what I shoot really well! What's the first rule of gunfighting? Have a Gun! I have both a 38 in a J frame revolver and a small 380. But the 32 is what I shoot best! It's not a tiny gun though, It has a 3.75" barrel, a grip I can get all three gripping fingers on, and more than the tiny groove for sights! But it is small enough for pocket carry. And it does not hurt my arthritic hands to shoot it! DR

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ill throw a little twist in here... I carry a 9 shot 32 auto. It's what I shoot really well! What's the first rule of gunfighting? Have a Gun! I have both a 38 in a J frame revolver and a small 380. But the 32 is what I shoot best! It's not a tiny gun though, It has a 3.75" barrel, a grip I can get all three gripping fingers on, and more than the tiny groove for sights! But it is small enough for pocket carry. And it does not hurt my arthritic hands to shoot it! DR
Colt 1903 pocket model? :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
I would go with the .38 but I really like my 6 shot LCR .327 federal magnum with full power loads. I packed away all of my .380 guns. Too snappy and I'm not accurate with them. Once in a while I will take my .32 Keltec with the 10 round mag if that is all I can conceal.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Id go with the 38 myself. Revolvers don't jam and you can put heavier chunks of lead down range. But then again I carry a 10mm as a side arm most of the time when I hunt.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Id go with the 38 myself. Revolvers don't jam and you can put heavier chunks of lead down range. But then again I carry a 10mm as a side arm most of the time when I hunt.
I would rethink the revolvers don't jam statement. I have had and seen plenty revolvers jam over my 50+years of shooting, and the problem is when they do jam it's usually much harder to free them than an auto.JMO

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have both and have carried both. Either caliber on a vital will have very similar results, so the one you can put on target better may be the best choice. On the occasion where "just one more round" is a requirement, then you may have wished you had the one with the additional round. User preference is likely going to be the decider here. I'm reminded of several recent national stories of mall and playground shootings that resulted in deaths were all were accomplished with a 22lr.

Either choice is more than capable of serving the purpose of defensive carry. The one you can most often put on target, to me, is the one that you would want to carry.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Own one .380 Auto, never carry it. Own half a dozen 5 shot and one 6 shot .38 snubbies, carry one or the other of them every day, two on special occasions. The reasons are simple, the .38's shoot where I point them while the .380 doesn't and no need to disengage a safety in order to fire.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts