Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my side arm figured out for hunting this fall, as my friend saw a wolf in the area last week when he was out with his bow. Im going to carry a Glock 20 with 180 gr XTPs, loaded to 1300 fps. Ill leave a 44 mag or a 357 mag in the truck, and leave the 460 Rowland in the safe. Hunting rifles, I still gotta figure out what one will do.

308: Very accurate. 165 grain bullets top out around 2500 fps out of the 16 inch barrel
270: Used one last year, had no problem dropping an elk with a 130 gr corelokt. Been loading 130 SSTs. Will see how they do.
35 Whelen: Getting about 2 MOA at 100 yards. Got 225 sierra bullet to go 2600 fps with 59gr of RL-15. It kicks. Messing with the COAL and trying different powder to see if that helps. Also I am going to test out some 250 gr bullets.
45-70: Throwing rocks is more accurate. Lucky to hit the target at 100 yards with a scope.
300 Win mag: Its a safe queen.
30-30. getting 2050 fps with a sierra 170 gr. So not a likely candidate.

I know its about accuracy. So it will probably come down to the 308 or one of the 270s. But Im still hoping for the 35 Whelen to group a little better, and it was my tax return present to myself.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
All of my rifles are accurate [30 30 and 45 70 included] So I decide based on how long a shot is possible and how much carrying is going to happen! If its brush or deep forest the carbines get the nod in 30 30, 45 colt or 45 70. in that situation a long shot would be 100 yards. If it's more open I opt for a rifle in 308, 6.5x55, or 7mm mauser. all of these are easy on the shoulder but will reach out to 300 yards easily. But that's just how I decide. Good Luck, DR

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
my #1 hunting rifle is a Sako Finbear .270 Mannlicher carbine...3x9 wideview Redfield scope with flip caps.
it may be old but the action is butter smooth and quiet, and it's dead on at 200 yds. It's racked up 38 years of deer and hogs, the last 15 of which were all taken on a game management corporate ranch where our tags numbered in the dozens each year. I tried other rifles but the .270 is a flat shooter and will take down anything in this part of the world.
I prefer to move about and not sit in a blind, so I pack light when I hunt...small day pack with water, light snack, TP, some rope, a knife sharpener, and one x3 blade knife with drop point, saw & hook blades. Pockets get used for a few add'l rounds, gloves, and I carry my old (from the 70's) Nikon 10 power compact binoculars on a shoulder/chest harness. No sidearm. Don't want the extra weight.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I don't have a 35W, but I do have a .350 Rem Mag and have loaded the 225 Sierras, killed a 5x4 off of St. Helens, WA with that rifle/load.

Try a 225 Nosler Partition, for some reason I manage to get those to group a little better that I do the Sierra's.

For deer, I'm kind of boring, been using the same rifle load since 1989; Steyr Mannlicher MOD M Professional in .270 with Swarovski 2.2-9X shooting the Nosler Ballistic Tip over 58.0 grains of IMR4831. It gets 3160 FPS out of the Steyr's 23.5" barrel, so far 37 deer, 4 mountain goats (Austrian Chamois), and a boar in Germany. I've got 5 "deer" rifles, but for some reason I always take the .270.

Chuck

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
I always carry a sidearm (G19 or G26), more for two legged predators than 4 here in Utah. Have yet to see a bear or a mountain lion in the three seasons I have hunted here. Just finished 13 days of bow hunting for buck deer and did not manage to get in bow range on a buck, saw very few. My tag allows me to hunt archery, muzzleloader, and rifle. Next up is muzzleloader in 12 days and this is the first season I will hunt with one (Remington 700 with Vortex scope). If that fails, on to rifle with Rem 700 in 7mm-08. Am setting up for slightly longer range elk hunting and just bought a Sako Roughtech Pro in 7MM Rem Mag.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts