Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
When you pull the trigger and see the target disappear your face will permanently look like your avatar!!! Ammo is high and I was just reminded of that fact. Also ordered extra virgin brass, as it is cheaper when some assembly is required.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
This may help with the decision...toy or scary weapon?:danceban:
50beowulf.com

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice video! I think i may have to put a new anti-assault weapon on my "to get" list....... gotta be 3rd From the top now....... :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice toy.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If i had the money i would get one of these.... you can put down just about anything... I think our troops should be using these for sure....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nasty littly M-4 platform.... 400 grains of .50 caliber lead in a CQB situation is guaranteed to end the threat. Wishful thinking is beginning, I think I know what I want for christmas. Remember what was said in the video? If you fired the 10 round magazine you would have a HALF POUND of lead down-range...
~Steve

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
Ammo is hard to get and very expensive.

Is it worth it? I think not. Sure, its better than the .223 but the .308 on the same platform will kill just as dead and penetrate just as much, plus ammo is cheap and can be found anywhere.

Its a "toy" round.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If I felt a need to launch a large, heavy projectile at short range (bear defense?) I would rather use a 12 g shotgun and slugs. Cheaper, more available, and likely more effective than even the mighty .50 Beowulf.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
If I felt a need to launch a large, heavy projectile at short range (bear defense?) I would rather use a 12 g shotgun and slugs. Cheaper, more available, and likely more effective than even the mighty .50 Beowulf.
That COULD make a great Alaskan bear gun...:yup::yup::hand10:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
12 guage is 50 cal so im good with my 3" slugs

Soldiers and Marines have carried the good old Mossy for years and it never let them down. I had one strapped to my back just in case I forgot I had a 45 with me haha

·
Registered
368 Posts
the beowulf was developed to be used against vehicles at roadblocks wasnt it?

I can see a 12ga being as useful against a human or animal, but would a slug have the same stopping ability against an engine block?

·
Registered
102 Posts
12 guage is 50 cal so im good with my 3" slugs

Soldiers and Marines have carried the good old Mossy for years and it never let them down. I had one strapped to my back just in case I forgot I had a 45 with me haha
Actually, 12 gauge measurement is .729"; that is much bigger than .50 cal.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
You have proven your point accurately and I give you that, however there is also caliber measured in barrel length/bore diameter at the breech where the bullet or projectile sits. Somewhere I remember the military schooling us on the fact that somewhere in the design of the 12 guage shotgun that the slugs were measured as .50 cal using whatever math at the time determined that. Alas it is truly a .72 caliber by normal modern measurement I would guess.

For instance on a US Naval destroyer that has a 5" deck gun it is a .54 caliber round that is projected from the muzzle. They even have a new Mk45 .63 caliber extended range model. It has same projectile diameter yet extends barrel length a few inches which changes the caliber.

Now why is a 5 inch round only measured to 54 caliber? I'll let you fellow sailors do the math on that one.

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
That is the measurement of the internal diameter of the barrel. Most slugs are smaller than that, mostly around .68 caliber which fits nice and snug with the plastic sleeve on them.

There are several brands of slugs, BRI is one of them that comes to mind that use .50 caliber slugs in a sabot. These are shaped like an hourglass and they are extremely effective at tearing things up. They shoot fast, hard, flat, and through most things they are shot at.

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
Now why is a 5 inch round only measured to 54 caliber. I'll let you fellow sailors do the math on that one.
Because that method uses the length of the barrel measured in caliber.

Just like some of the older guns were measured at 5" .38 cal, which was a 5" with a bit less range.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
For instance on a US Naval destroyer that has a 5" deck gun it is a .54 caliber round that is projected from the muzzle. They even have a new Mk45 .63 caliber extended range model. It has same projectile diameter yet extends barrel length a few inches which changes the caliber.

Now why is a 5 inch round only measured to 54 caliber? I'll let you fellow sailors do the math on that one.
In artillery-speak, a 5 inch, 54 'caliber' gun has a barrel that is 54 times as long as the bore is wide. So, in this case, the barrel would be 270 inches long, firing a shell 5 inches in diameter.

Another example would be a 155mm (6 inch) howitzer, with a 68 caliber barrel - in other words, 34 feet long.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

I have tried the one on the right in my slug gun and I'll tell you that a 300g slug traveling at 2100fps will do some serious, SERIOUS damage :comeandgetsome:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts