Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the range with a buddy sighting in some hunting rifles , when a couple guys walk in pulling a pelican rifle case . After they get set up they got our attention .

They are shooting a 50 Barrett , Wooow !! The concussion from the muzzle brake sent dirt , dust , and insulation flying ..

The best part , " hey guys we are about to pack up , would you like to take a shot "

Absolutely!!

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
50's are a real hoot to shoot. The muzzle brake makes recoil much less than I expected, much less than 460 Weatherby hunting rifles. Too bad you need so much room to really stretch one out.

Reactions: flh

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
@flh I hope you left that guy a $5 bill for that bullet you shot. :smile:

Was it a bolt action or the semi auto? Those things are so easy to shoot, we had soldiers bolo with their M16 hitting a silhouette target at 800m with the M82.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Yeah, it is surprising how little actual recoil a 50BMG has when using one of those big muzzle brakes. If you can handle a regular load of 2.75” buckshot or a regular slug, you could shoot the Barrett all day...

...Minus the concussion feeling like you’re getting your entire body punched at once.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
How far out did you reach. Really not worth the effort at <500m.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I've owned 4 Barrett 50's. Sold them all off, not that difficult to shoot recoil wise.

Still have 20 rds of armor piercing/incendiary in storage, probably should sell that off this year

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
I've had two friends that had .50 BMG rifles. Both offered me the opportunity to shoot them, but neither one worked out, due to schedule conflicts & travel.

One of the guys no longer has his rifle, and the other has moved away, so my opportunity is lost. :banghead: Still hope for the chance to run a few rounds through one someday! :yup:

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@flh I hope you left that guy a $5 bill for that bullet you shot. :smile:

Was it a bolt action or the semi auto? Those things are so easy to shoot, we had soldiers bolo with their M16 hitting a silhouette target at 800m with the M82.
Oh yes we offered him money for letting us shoot, he declined our offer.
The rifle was a bolt gun .

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How far out did you reach. Really not worth the effort at <500m.
He made reference to sighting in a new scope , he had the target setup at 100 yards.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
I had one. I eventually sold it because it couldn't hold a candle to the 2 .50's that I built as far as accuracy.

I could barely keep it on a 16" gong at 1000 yards. I could slap them every time with the others.

About shot number 4 or 5 my nose would start running from the blast.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Oh yes we offered him money for letting us shoot, he declined our offer.
The rifle was a bolt gun .
650 grains a shot on semi auto is as fun as you think it is. Not like belt fed, but still a hoot. With the bi-pod up front and mono-pod on a beanbag in the back, and 27lbs of rifle, the cross hairs hold nice and still! 800m was a breeze. 1000m took some steady breathing, but was no harder than hitting the 400m with an M16.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I built a Maadi Griffin kit in the 80's With surplus ammo I could keep all shots on a 6' target at 1000 yds . When I started reloading with premium bullets the groups easily shrunk in half. After destroying the third scope, I traded it off.
But it was fun to shoot! and everyone wanted to shoot it at least once! But it was a scope eater!

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I built a Maadi Griffin kit in the 80's With surplus ammo I could keep all shots on a 6' target at 1000 yds . When I started reloading with premium bullets the groups easily shrunk in half. After destroying the third scope, I traded it off.
But it was fun to shoot! and everyone wanted to shoot it at least once! But it was a scope eater!
Last one I bought in 2010, they recommended the leopold Mk4. Saw a video of just that scope on a 50 in slow mo, the tube flexed more than I'd ever have suspected. And that was what they recommended as something that could withstand the forces at work. Before that era, few scopes would have passed that testing of the Mk4.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Two of the scopes were steel Weavers from their El Paso days.they were supposed to be able to hold up to anything. If I had built another I would have built on a longer barrel and added more weight! The guy I sold it too built a 40 lb cradle to shoot it from. He still has it. DR

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
I went through 2 MK 3's and one MK 4.

At least they had lifetime guarantees. One lasted 7 rounds. One lasted around 30 or so. One lasted about 300 or so. The MK 4 I have on there now has a few thousand through it.

Heres a fact...

50 BMG's are hard on scopes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts