1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
It has gotten so 'bad' in Texas that there are urban areas having problems with them tearing up landscape and therefore opening up urban hunting zones to help control them. The rural areas of Texas where deer hunting occurs have been heavily populated with feral hogs for years. So much so that we see them every time we are out hunting, no matter what time of day, what time of year.

The last ranch I leased (1750 acres) South of Kerrville, had so many the ranch foreman had a pro hog trapper remove 250 hogs from the ranch during the summer. But come Nov 1 when white tail season opened, they were all over the ranch. I ended up bagging one with a 50 cal Browning Mt Rifle.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
We've been "bounty hunting" feral pigs for local row-crop farmers since the mid 70's. When I was a kid, the bounty covered ammo & snacks. Now? The bounty easily covers...Gen 2-3 night scopes! We've also recently been green-lighted (pun intended) for night hunts (a previous no-no in the Bluegrass) but still can't spotlight 'em. Pigs are smarter/sneakier that you'd imagine.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Big pig problem all over. Very destructive.
I remember in the 60's I wanted to afford a trip to TN to hunt Russian wild boar.

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
Az has a population in the northwest [ section 13b ] of the state. Now being found in the Havasu area. No restrictions by state law, considered a nuisance. Only restriction might be there's no hunting at night, but over dogs, bait, or stalk, no problem.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
We have a good portion of those 6 million, in GA.

Aggravating bastids.

Reactions: hogdaddy

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If for whatever reason I am forced to live in the south for an extended period of time, I would think I'd be huntin' piggies quite often. As far as I'm concerned they don't taste any different than raised pork, but the males do stink when you cook 'em. Read somewhere it has something to do with chemicals in the fat of some, not all, males of breeding age.

If we see one in WI we can shoot it any time of the year and after looking at the very short section in the DNR's website about them, there is no time of day regulations. Our population is next to nonexistent and we want to keep it that way. Went down to TN this past October and harvested a 300lb sow, which came back home as a good supply of breakfast sausage. They are a problem, but they are a tasty problem.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If for whatever reason I am forced to live in the south for an extended period of time, I would think I'd be huntin' piggies quite often. As far as I'm concerned they don't taste any different than raised pork, but the males do stink when you cook 'em. Read somewhere it has something to do with chemicals in the fat of some, not all, males of breeding age.

If we see one in WI we can shoot it any time of the year and after looking at the very short section in the DNR's website about them, there is no time of day regulations. Our population is next to nonexistent and we want to keep it that way. Went down to TN this past October and harvested a 300lb sow, which came back home as a good supply of breakfast sausage. They are a problem, but they are a tasty problem.
In GA, we can bait, use a light, 24/7 hunting...but they, despite what is commonly thought, are not easy to get a shot at.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Heck fellas, don't kill 'em all. That's a great food supply for the end of the world!!!!!!!!!!! :danceban:

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
They have been reported on the east side of the county I'm in here in KY, but they haven't made a big impact yet. Luckily we can shoot them at any time, day or night, year round. I've even told Mrs Thin that if she sees one around the house to shoot it, and not think twice.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Way back some co workers would spend their off time hunting Coyotes for bounty on private and state land. Wonder if there are enough hunters out there to weed back this problem (Hunting along with firearms is becoming a PC issue)

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Tasty for the less fortunate. Donate to.......
Isn't there glands or something to avoid to make it lose the "bad" taste when gutting?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
In GA, we can bait, use a light, 24/7 hunting...but they, despite what is commonly thought, are not easy to get a shot at.
One of my tool guys went on a guided hunt with his son down there right after Christmas. Night vision, suppressed Sigs, the works. They bagged 8 hogs in two nights, the biggest being almost 500#.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Way back some co workers would spend their off time hunting Coyotes for bounty on private and state land. Wonder if there are enough hunters out there to weed back this problem (Hunting along with firearms is becoming a PC issue)
The problem is they breed several times a year, can birth up to 20 per litter, and are ready to breed in just a few months. Plus they eat everything, including pets and livestock. Coyote don't hold a candle to them in the speed they can muptiply.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Did I read somewhere that they can be hunted day or night, Coyotes, and NC is one of them. Problem here.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Saw some signs that indicated some might be moving in or around our area on our land. Told my brother not to be out there fishing at night over the next couple of weeks..... told him why. I would be checking for any , or any more signs of them. He said I should leave them alone.... we have crops and they can be extremely destructive in a real hurry. Told him .... look ..... semi-autos were created for a reason, and if you don't want to be accidentally shot .... don't be out here fishing at night for the next 2 weeks. He grumbled , but didn't fish.

I kept my revolver with bear loads and rifle with me .... in case I saw them.

I saw no more signs of them, but if I do ..... they're gone. The hunt is on. They can be coyote food as far as I'm concerned. I've seen some charge too, and I'm not giving them the chance. They can be mean suckers when they want to be.

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
Tasty for the less fortunate. Donate to.......
Isn't there glands or something to avoid to make it lose the "bad" taste when gutting?
Don't know about feral hogs but peccary also known as javelina have musk glands that need to be removed. Long ago I went on a javelina hunt down in Lorado, TX, the limit was 2 javelina and as many feral hogs as you wanted, one hunter brought back a feral hog that weighed over 400 lbs.

Reactions: AzQkr
1 - 20 of 69 Posts