Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While everyone is on the single stack 9 craze, with many being a standard 6 round mag, I prefer my 38 j-frame to a semi that small. I love wheel gun reliability once we get that low in round count. Just my preference.

That said, are there 6 shot revolvers in this size range? It seems every single one is a 5 shot. I don't know enough about revolvers so thought I'd ask you fine folks.

Is there a 6 shot CCW revolver out there for old DB?

·
Registered
223 Posts
My model 19 S&W is a 6 shot 2-1/2"barrel but still a bit big for a snubbie, I pocket carry the Ruger LCR in 9mm I like the moon clips, easier to carry a couple of reloads, rather than the regular speed loaders.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
About the only thing you're going to find that is readily available is that LCR in .327, at least in a J-Frame. The Kimber is an option but, as said, you have to find one and it isn't going to be easy on the wallet. It's just the nature of these little guys, that one less round gives them that ideal hideaway size.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The Kimber K6s is another option. Rather new release, may take some effort to locate one and they're not inexpensive. Its an all steel - 23 oz I believe - six shooter comparably sized with the popular 5 shot revos.

Kimber America | Revolver
+1 for the K6S I picked one up when they first came out and I love it. I use to carry a ruger LCR 357 on my ankle as a back up weapon but the Kimber replaced it. The trigger is a lot smoother its even better then any of my smiths as far as double action obviously you can't cock the hammer back And fire single action but I've run 3,500 rounds through it now and it just keeps getting better. Really accurate snubbie with a perfect finish to me it was worth the $$

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I carried a snub nose for many years BUt when lite thin poly pistol became reliable and affordable I moved away from a snub nose regardless if it was a 5 or 6 shooter .

There are 6 shooters available BUT when I can carry a 3.5" 9+P that has 6 +1 17oz pistol and have faster reloads with more energy than a any 38sp from a 2" barrel why go backwards . Reliability has been 100% for me for close to 20 years .

If you ever have a primer back out of a cartridge in a revolver you have a rock at that point . Jambs it up tight . I have with factory ammo .

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Also, Colt Detective Special if you go semi-vintage. Not as small as the other ones mentioned, but not full sized frame either.
The "D" frame Colt was one of the most shootable snubbie wheel guns out there! There was (2) other versions that had parkerized finish that would be perfect for your needs. The steel framed version was the Commando and the alloy frame version was the Agent. If I ever come across one at a semi reasonable price it will be mine!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I belive Rossi makes a 357/38 Six shot Snub. Also Charter Arms used to have a Police Special or ???? That was a Six shot. Taurus also had a Six shot if you could find one. Colt Detective Specials are nice but when it says Colt it says $$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
The "D" frame Colt was one of the most shootable snubbie wheel guns out there! There was (2) other versions that had parkerized finish that would be perfect for your needs. The steel framed version was the Commando and the alloy frame version was the Agent. If I ever come across one at a semi reasonable price it will be mine!
Still kicking myself for getting rid of my Agent back in the nineties.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Haywood nailed it. I have two Rossis a 461 and 462. They both get carried and are utterly reliable.

Not willing to pay the price on the new K6. The new Colts don't really do it for me aesthetically.

Also own a LCR in .327.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
The Charter Arms Police Undercover is still in production. 6-shot 38 special snub on the same frame as the Bulldog 44 special.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Carried my Model 36 for years....never felt under gunned for a up close and personal.

Reactions: Haywood and Doogie

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
If you ever have a primer back out of a cartridge in a revolver you have a rock at that point . Jambs it up tight . I have with factory ammo .
Not to hijack...but how did you get the cylinder open without fear of setting off the jammed cartridge?Or was it a spent cartridge?

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
The difference between 14 or 15 rounds is negligible, but the difference between 5 and 6 is considerable - IMO.

If S&W produced a 6 shot airweight I just don't see how it wouldn't sell...a concealable 8 shot .32 mag? Sign me up for both!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts