Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
One year before I graduated high school. Our numbers were coming up. Had friends go and not come home and two who were POW's. They will not talk about it. They are changed men.
Right there with you. I feel fortunate I was too young for that war.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,697 Posts
Welcome home! RIP for those who didn't make it home.

I was there in 1965/1966, 1970/1971, and 1972/1973. On 7 May 1975, I was a Navy CPO (E-7) on instructor duty at Coronado.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
All honor to those who served in Viet Nam! Land of C rats, ARVNs, MEDCAPS, and so much more. Brings back memories good and not so good!

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
I hear Biden shut down Rolling Thunder to honor the Vietnam vets KIA. Hundreds of thousands of bikers, honoring our fallen, snubbed by your tyrant in chief.
Biden had nothing to do with it. In 2019 they announced that it was going to be the last one. So if you want to blame a President for doing it (even thought the white house has absolutely nothing to do with it) you should actually "blame" Trump.

·
Registered
43,030 Posts
At that time I had resumed the Cold War and left the VN war behind.

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
Got a "selective service card" (what a joke), & my second "loto" was my last worry*

* by then, they still had the system in place, but no one needed to worry

·
Registered
43,030 Posts
My 1971 Draft Lotto number was 9. By that time I'd been in the AF for six months.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,697 Posts
I joined the Navy when I was seventeen. When I was eighteen and nineteen, I was manning a Ma Deuce 50 BMG on boats in Viet Nam. We came in to the base one afternoon and had mail-call. I received a registered letter from the local draft board in central California. It said if I didn't report two days earlier than the day I received the letter, I would be drafted into the Army. I laughed, threw the letter away, and said come get me. I spent twelve years active in the Navy and ten years in the Army National Guard. I retired from the military and am rated at 60% disability from Agent Orange exposure. That draft board in central California still has me listed as a draft-dodger.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My Dad did 3 tours in Vietnam. He is now a retired E9 from the Marines.
He's never really said much about it. He did stop hunting because he said he didn't feel right walking through the woods with a rifle anymore.

I guess I don't remember or we were shielded from war news. I was just a kid. I played outside and was just a normal 10 yr old.
My Dad got orders to Subic Bay, PI July 1975. I was going into the 5th grade. I never understood why my parents would be so upset when my friends and I were caught outside the base fence
in the jungle roaming around. Armed patrols picked us up 3 times and they always warned us about being kidnapped by communists. To naive 10 yr olds that sounded crazy. It was always normal to see 50 cal jeeps and tanks patrolling along fences. Fighter jets out of Cubi Point and WestPac were just everyday things for 2 yrs. we were there.
It all makes sense as an adult now that I see the official date.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts