Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I know a lot of diehard 1911 guys will say JMB designed this pistol for 7 not 8 in the mag but,
I was curious anyone here have both? Have you noticed a difference in failures? Here in NY we can only
Have 7 anyway. All mine are 8 thinking about buying some new 7's.

Thanks for any & all comments,
Mike

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Tripp (Cobra) 7 round magazines have proven reliable in my pistols (can't say the same for various 8 rounders) so I use Tripp 7 round mags.
Tripp makes an 8 round magazine but I've never tried it because I like (only buy / use) flush fitting magazines.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I've used them both.

With "cheap" magazines, I would say that I have seen more issues with 8's than 7's.

However, with quality mags...not as much, but perhaps more with 8's.

Buy a few good ones (Wilson, etc) and see how your pistol likes 'em would be my best advice.

·
Super Moderator
22,294 Posts
Hey Guys,

I know a lot of diehard 1911 guys will say JMB designed this pistol for 7 not 8 in the mag but,
I was curious anyone here have both? Have you noticed a difference in failures? Here in NY we can only
Have 7 anyway. All mine are 8 thinking about buying some new 7's.

Thanks for any & all comments,
Mike
I have never had any flush fitting 8 rounders that I've been completely happy with. To fit 8 cartridges in a space that was originally designed for 7, you have to change something, normally they shorten the leg on the follower, which can lead to the follower tilting, and they shorten the magazine spring which can effect the timing of the 1911's feed cycle. I have bought a number of 8 rounders in the past, they've all been converted to 7 rounders.

·
Registered
20,257 Posts
I have Colt 8 rounders supplied with the gun. Other than a issue with defective springs( which Colt took care of) I have had no issues with them so far.

But to be honest, I use 47D's for serious carry and use the factory 8 rounders for range work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
At first, like others on here, I preferred a flush fit. Kimber has the 8 round tac magazine, which essentially worked the same way as 7 + 1 in the chamber for my pro carry II b/c I can't insert the TAC 8-round mag in without the slide being open. In the first 500 rounds, I did experience two failures with the Kimber (both the 7 round that came with the gun, and the 8 round TAC). I never experienced any failures with the Wilson Combat 8s, though they were not flush. Anyway, 1000 rounds later, no failures with either in the Kimber since those initial ones, so I attribute to break-in period. I have a Sig Sauer Nightmare carry and that came with two 8 round mags. 1000 rounds through it and no failures with any of the Sig, Wilson, or Kimber Tac and they are all eight rounds. Bottom line, I've gotten over the mag being flush and have had no failures with 8 round magazines. Prefer the extra round, hope and pray to never need it, but you never know.

P.S. My colt combat commander also takes 8 round mags just fine.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I use 8 round Wilsons...

I have both 7 and 8 round 1911 magazines in .45 caliber, from various manufacturers. I tend to prefer the Wilson 8 rounders, and I've never had a problem with them. The Wilson 8 rounders extend a short distance below the gun, as shown below in my Kimber Pro.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
541 Posts
I run Chip McCormick 8 rounders flush fitting in my Colt Commander without any issue thus far. With a government/commander grip length, I need all the help I can get to keep it concealable and baseplates push the printing just a little too far.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I carry the factory 7 round mag in the weapon because it is flush fitting and doesn't add any additional "printing" concerns. My two spare mags are Wilson combat 8 round magazines which have a 1/2" push pad. This gives me two benefits, on a reload the push pad assists in seating the magazine, and gives me one extra round in each magazine. The extra 1/2" doesn't matter in the magazine pouch, and you get the same reliability as the smaller magazine.

The gun is a Sig 1911 RCS, so it has the shorter grip.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have and do use Wilson,CMC,Novak and Kimber 8 round mags in my 1911 I shoot IDPA with and never had an issue with any of them.

I would have no problem carrying with them. I do use thin rubber bumpers on the bottom of the mags which make them faster and easier to seat but they do add a small amount of length that might bother some for CCW.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the reply's I think In will buy a couple new Wilson 8's with the low profile pads as I have been carrying a double mag pouch & I like the little pad for a fast reload.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I use 8 round Chip McCormick (one Power mag) besides the factory 8 round mags with my RIA Gov Model no issues with many rounds fired

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
When I carry a 1911 I use a Wilson 7 rounder in there gun (+1). Backed up by two 8 round 47Ds in the mag carrier. So both.

Reactions: archercj1954

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
I use 8 round mags almost exclusively in my 1911s... and the two Springfields have seen a lot of hard use, with training and frequent club-level matches. The only 8-rounders that gave me trouble at all are the McCormick Shooting Stars. The others are Wilson 47Ds, ETMs, and Tripp Cobras. I've worn out a few springs and followers, but those are normal, limited-life items I expect to replace.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Fully loaded means topped off mag with one in the chamber.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My experience has been that if you have a high quality magazine, you'll probably have less problems. I'm amazed at the folks that will spend $1000 on a weapon, $300 on a rig, and then buy $14 magazines. I carry both 7 and 8 round Wilson's Combat and have never had a mag related problem with either. I've gotten to the point that I only carry 7 rounds regardless of which capacity magazine I carry. I try to keep count of rounds when I train and don't want the headache of throwing another variable into the mix. I do carry JHP in the weapon and ball in the spare magazine. I'm more worried about a bullet related FTF issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts