Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Podcasts to look back at 82nd Airborne's history

The 82nd Airborne Division turns 100 years old next year.

And you can bet there will be celebrations of that history during All American Week in May and again in August, on the anniversary of the creation of the then-82nd Division.

But officials aren't leaving the celebration to those dates alone.

snip

As part of those celebrations, the 82nd Airborne will launch its own podcast series in January, called the All American Legacy podcast.

The first three podcasts will be released Jan. 17 through iTunes, Google Play and various other services.

Lt. Col. Joe Buccino, the division public affairs officer, said new podcasts will be released each Tuesday and will run at least until All American Week - the annual celebration of past and present paratroopers that takes place the week leading into Memorial Day.
Podcasts to look back at 82nd Airborne's history | Military & Fort Bragg | fayobserver.com

Been to the Airborne and Special Operations Museum a few times but I did not know their history went that far back.

·
Registered
41,238 Posts
What did they do in 1917, jump out of assault balloons?

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Didn't know that was Alvin York's division, that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Msgt. Here's to another 100 years for my military alma mater. Maybe by then they'll be the 82nd Jet-Pack Division and looking back wistfully at the fools jumping out of an airplane in the middle of the night. LOL.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Congratulations guys!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
With immense respect for the 82nd, the 101st celebrates it's centennial in 2018. And, as a proud son of The Bluegrass, my heart's gotta' stay with my homeboys (HQ - Ft. Campbell, Ky.).

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
My congrats to ALL you troopers but as an Air Force vet I must pose a question I have been asking of every trooper I have met for the past 45 years;
Those aircraft you jumped out of......was anything wrong with them???????:smile:

·
Super Moderator
25,601 Posts
What did they do in 1917, jump out of assault balloons?
They like every other ID were a "Leg" division, but I'm guessing that question was sarcasm.

But they are the Army's last real Airborne Division. (The 101st is now an Air Assault Division, even though their patch still has the Airborne flash attached.)

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My congrats to ALL you troopers but as an Air Force vet I must pose a question I have been asking of every trooper I have met for the past 45 years;
Those aircraft you jumped out of......was anything wrong with them???????:smile:
Had an Army Jumpmaster tell me once he got $100 a month to go up and jump out of airplanes. I told him I got $200 a month to take him up and drop him off then I go back to a cold beer and a warm bed.

Reactions: 9uc

·
Premium Member
36,692 Posts
The only thing worse than sitting in the back of a cargo transport during takeoff and while in flight is sitting back there during landing. Why would I not want to get out at some point prior to that?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
My congrats to ALL you troopers but as an Air Force vet I must pose a question I have been asking of every trooper I have met for the past 45 years; Those aircraft you jumped out of......was anything wrong with them???????:smile:
The only thing worse than sitting in the back of a cargo transport during takeoff and while in flight is sitting back there during landing. Why would I not want to get out at some point prior to that?
To honor all who serve, regardless of Branch, from personal experience, while trying to cover oneself from behind a couple of half filled sand bags on a dark perimeter, you could care less what nationality, what branch of service or what mos/afsc they are, as long as the can point that long gun at the perimeter and pull the trigger as needed. I have experienced one that just slightly worse, being strapped to a stretcher, head to the rear with eyes totally bandaged on the back row of a C-130 medivac during a combat style takeoff. Thought I was going to slide off that stretched backwards.

As I say of myself, who would have ever thunk' that to avoid the draft and becoming an Army grunt and getting shipped to Nam, I joined the AF, became an AF version of a grunt, and volunteered for Nam for one of these deplorable dumb Patriotic ideas.

·
Registered
171 Posts
MSGT,

I hope it works out and there is some interest.

I was at Ft Brag, and at times during field training the 82nd would be tasked with chasing us down.
Now to be honest I never thought the individual infantry guys were overly smart. Sorry. :smile: But we knew they would be tough and tenacious.
When the 82nd was given the mission of catching us it was like telling a bunch of hungry hound dogs if they caught the rabbit and brought him back alive, some thumps and bruises excepted, they would get a big jucy stake.

We did not want to get caught. :image035: The 82nd was not going to bring us milk and cookies. Thumps and bruises were to be expected.

Good training and motivation for both parties.

Sam

·
Registered
VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
274 Posts
With great pride, I was given the opportuity to perform a musical presentation for the 82nd Airborne association veterans.
It was, at their Christmas party last year. One of the finest, & most responsive audience that I have ever performed for.

Those guys and their spouses were great and the stories & award ceremony presentation , made me feel so privileged...
The majority of the vets, must have been the Southeast region assosiation. Just a wonderfull memory. Also to have been reminded that Kurt Vonnegut was a captured member of that same division. ( WW II ) His experiences spawned the novel "Slaughter House 5."

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Had an Army Jumpmaster tell me once he got $100 a month to go up and jump out of airplanes. I told him I got $200 a month to take him up and drop him off then I go back to a cold beer and a warm bed.
Way to go Sarge!!!!!!!!:35:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Started my career at Fort Bragg in the 82nd Airborne Division (325th Airborne Infantry Regiment) and ended at Fort Bragg as well. Spent many a mandatory recruitment meeting at York Theater as well. Served in the 82nd with pride because of its storied history and the Soldiers I served with. Long gone were the days of fights with Corps pukes along Ardennes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts