Defensive Carry banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, my dad and I were looking up some old guns we inherited from my grandfather and came across this beauty. this gun is in excellent condition, no rust or signs of aging, quite a remarkable piece of history was wondering what the ballpark value of these things are.

·
Super Moderator
18,788 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Just now saw this thread.

Value on your Winchester Model 1886 is subjective. Many factors can enter into an assessment.

Is it a standard rifle or carbine, or a special order gun with any of a host of options? Pistol grip stock, short rifle, musket, optional sights, upgrade wood, engraving, the list could be endless with how these rifles can be configured.

Degree of preserved original finish can cause huge differences in value.

Any lack of originality will negatively affect value.

Your gun was likely produced sometime in 1901. The .45-90 caliber is considered one of the desirable chamberings in the Model 1886. It's hard to buy a decent Winchester Model 1886 in any caliber for less than about $2500 these days.

Here's only one internet site with examples currently offered for sale. There are others out there.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Winchester+Model+1886

Thing to remember, especially with collectible arms, is that it's worth whatever someone is willing to buy it for. Don't expect to knock someone's head off with a sky-high price, but do your homework so as not to leave dollars lying on the table.

Better suggestion is to get to know the rifle and keep it in the family. What good fortune that you inherited such a rifle! It's a perfectly usable gun, even in this day and age. I have a .45-90 Winchester Model 1886 from 1887. It sees use whenever the whim strikes me. One can purchase .45-90 ammunition from several sources online, or he can simply shoot .45-70 factory loads in it, much as one shoots .38 Special in a .357 Magnum revolver. It will give perfect function and great accuracy with either load.

A nice photo of the rifle, from both right and left sides would be appreciated here on the Forum. Perhaps some close-ups of the top tang marking, and front and rear sights would help too.

Consider keeping the rifle. It's a better gun than any modern lever-action .45-70 made. Strong and slick to operate, just the way John Browning designed it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts