Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the 870's the Sheriffs use do not have the safety latch on the trigger housing.

I don't see a use for this device and want to remove mine. Is this feasible? Do I need to buy a replacement housing to accomplish this or can the bar be removed easily?

thanks.

PS. not sure what the device is really called, hope you got the picture.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jim - I am assuming you mean the small lever - front and left of trigger guard that needs depressed in order to operate the pump - and shuck a round?

Hmmm - never given that too much thought - tho on balance and being used to its use, I'm not sure I'd want it gone. In that case it'd be somewhat easy to operate the pump even when not wanted.

Darned tho if I can think of a quick fix to remove it - tho, being an engineer I'd sure find an answer if really pushed!

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
Remington

I think they have now discontinued/stopped making firearms with the J lock.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
you could pin the lever in the depressed position. I would not however. Lots of folks who have no business using a firearm would not know how to operate this function.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All the Remington 870 Police Magnums I have used have that lever, don't know which model you found without one. It might be interesting to know.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P95,

Yes, that is the one. On the shotguns at work there is not evena slot for this lever. The reason I want it gone is that if I shoot the last shell and rack it like normal, I have to hit this lever (shift grip) to get it open to put a single back in. Without it, I just pull the forearm back again.

Mine has a "J-hook" trigger safety, which I would never use, but I haven't heard of them causing trouble. Has anyone else? I just bought this guna few months ago, so they were making them then.

The only one who needs to know how to operate my shotgun is me. :) Besides, removing it does not change the SOP, unless making it easier for a newb to use in stress is bad thing?

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Also better to learn to count your shots and to speedfeed into an open chamber for a fast follow up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rocky,

I don't practice round counting in any form on purpose. My main concern was losing my firing grip, but since pulling the trigger works too I can make it work.

Obviously I'm brand new to shotguns. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
round counting is a good way to stay ahead in a shoot. Knowing how close to empty helps alot. It takes so doing to learn to count, as I came from a target competition background. But it seems worth it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, there is a lot to learn for me. I'm going to get into a course ASAP next year at the local shooting school.. Learning how to run a carbine also. Hoepfully my completed AR15 by then, else wise I better hit the weights because my FN-FAL is the only other long gun I can use. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow, thanks CE. I didn't know that either. I have a 870 Express SuperMag and never knew. Fire this gun all the time. Thanks again CE.

I am thinking about a Benelli M4 with collapsible stock, tritium ghost ring sights and a Insight light mounted under barrel. Only disadvantage is the m4 is autoloading. I like the pump but I can get a shorter weapon with the M4 collasible stock and shorter barrel. This would be a HD weapon. (just in case there was any question). :smile:

Anyone have the M4 or used before? If so I would like to know your thoughts on this gun.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You're welcome. The Benelis are very nice, and I came close to buying one once. If I were going to by an autoloader I'd go with a Remington 11-87 though. To me it is much easier to combat load due to the loading lever/spoon releasing the bolt instead of the little button like on the Beneli.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Suprise!

And how do you know the chamber is empty??

Well I guess a loud noise rather than a click would tell you. Could be interesting.

What has been done with the new configuration to avoid above?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Can anybody recommend a good video for defensive shotgun handling...specifically for a Remington 870 pump? I plan on getting one of these shotties for my brother and sis-in-law for thier sort-of isolated farm in Arizona :wink: and would like to get them started out right with some good training info. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts