Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many here carry a 9mm. And what kind and what brand of ammo do you use for personal defence. And how do you feel about your selection. What type of weapon do you use. I know bigger is better but I dont frequent bad parts so I feel a 9 will be a decent caliber if needed. And I think its better to have and not need it than need it and not have it. Just a few thoughts. Thanks everyone Sixgun..

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
When i carry 9mm i usually carry 147 winchester SXT's

Ive never had a problem in any 9mm ive had with them expansion is good

·
Registered
262 Posts
147 gr. SXT's as well, in a Kahr K9. Great little package (less than an inch wide), carries exceptionally easily compared to full-size pistols.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OOPs forgot to mention I carry a cz-75 pcr and now have a skyy 9mm but havent carried or shot that one yet. I carry 124 golden sabres and 124 gold dots. And Im interested in hornadys TAP-FPD In 124 gr anyone use that load and how do you like it. Have a great day Sixgun..

·
Administrator
144,204 Posts
You're in good company

LOTS of forum members here carry the 9
Expect many answers to your questions.:yup:

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
I carry my SIG 226 ST 15+1 with +P Gold Dots. Good feeding ammo - low on flash and bullet performance has always impressed me, including some wetpack tests I did with std pressure GD's thru my R9.

I opt for 124 bullet weight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you ever read this piece?
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

In it, the author says:
Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.
Why exactly does he say that?:stups:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I carry an XD 4" model with Cobon 124 +P or winchester SXT 147. I have had zero problems with either ammo. I had never heard the bad about the 147 grains. the SXTs feed fine through my XD, even at rapid fire pulling the trigger as fast as I can I have never had a feeding problem. I also have a Kahr P9 that i carry the Corbon 124 +P in. I chose the 9mm caliber for its economical ammo cost. To me it seems that I will shoot many thousands of rounds in practice of my lifetime and hopefully never in real situations, so I ecided to shoot a caliber that won't beak the bank by funding a trip to the range. I seriously doubt if I ever have to shoot in self defense, the BG will stop and say "hey man why did you shhot me with only a 9mm?" my 2cents.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I carry a CZ P-01 loaded with 147gr. Golden Sabers. I don't have any problems carrying a 9mm, as I know that if I do my part (shot placement) the ammo I've selected will do its part as well as any other service caliber.

As for this little blurb from the Chuck Hawks website:
Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.
Weak? - from the info I've seen, 147gr. ammo penetrates as much as, if not more than the lighter weights. Worthless? - not sure what he's getting at there. Malfunction-prone? Not in the pistols we have in my house; they feed 147gr. as well as any other bullet weight I've tried. I'd like to know where he got this info from, and why are the rounds he recommends so good - he doesn't list any info (penetration, expansion, actual street results...). That section seems to be his personal opinion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Winchester Silvertips, 115gr JHP's as primary, with Federal 9BP 115gr JHP's as alternate load if I can't find ST's.

Absolute reliable function in my Browning

Good ratings from both the "morgue monsters" and the "jello junkies"

Widely available, and relatively inexpensive as premium defensive ammo goes.

Easily replicated for practice with reloads or factory 115gr FMJ's

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Currently I carry Black Talons in everything but a buddy with an FFL is going to start stocking Double Tap ammo; so to help him get his initial quantity up for the discount/free shipping I just ordered 150 rounds each; 124gr Gold Dots for the 9mm, 180gr Gold Dots for the 10mm; 230gr Gold Dots for the .45. All of Double Tap’s ammo is loaded to higher velocities than you will find just about anywhere.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
124/115 grain Corbon JHPs, in a BHP or STI BLS. 147s are grossly inconsistant expanders, they will penetrate, but so will ball(for less money!). 147 gr HydraShoks did not expand in 37 core-body hits from an MP-5 (+/- 10" barrel, no gas-bleed to lower energy) from one local BG vs LE confrontation report I got to see, some years ago(and in numerous other Federal and local LE shootings). Good enough to make me stay away.

"Stopping" is totally situational/individual dependant, and not necessarily consistent with expansion, or lack of. Expansion=traumatic impact, regardless of the degree of that effect on the individual . You increase the likelyhood of stopping an individual by increasing the likelyhood of expansion. Nothing is 100%, "You pays you money, you takes your chances....".:icon_neutral:
I'll play the better odds in favor of expansion(shot placement is my job, not the bullet's)- lower to midweight bullet, with high velocity.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A 10 rounder full of MagTech's, light JHP's, possibly Guardian Gold.

Back up mag is a 15 rounder, handloads made with Rem 115 JHP's. Shot out of a Glock 19.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
After the Box-O-Truth style expansion test I conducted today on Federal 124 grain Hydrashoks I plan on carrying them when I get my CHL. They are very accurate and expanded consistently out of my GLOCK 26.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts