Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a continued effort to find another alternative to my belly band, I've been considering back pocket carry in a wallet type holster. This would only be used during the work week when I am required to wear business casual attire. Polo or button down shirt and khaki pants. I don't think I could do a front pocket carry because it would print to badly when I sit down. I've tried this with my P238.

I would likely invest in a high quality leather wallet type holster. I think this method would not attract to much attention. Large, fat wallets are common and not because they're full of money.

My question is, are their any tiny 9s that would be acceptable to use or am I stuck in 380 territory in this situation?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The lightest and thinnest 9mm is the Diamondback DB9 which is just a smidge larger than a Ruger LCP. When I had my Diamondback DB9, I would use the same holsters as the one for my Ruger LCP and S&W Bodyguard 380. The Rohrbaugh R9 is the smallest, but also about $1000+. I hope this helps. God Bless :smile:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Back pocket carry is a risky proposition; the gun, even in a good, secure holster will want to pop out of the pocket which could lead to loss. Add to this the possibility of pickpockets all of a sudden being armed...nope, I'll stick with IWB or front pocket carry.

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts
I don't like carrying a regular wallet in my rear pocket, let alone something which would accommodate a firearm

·
Registered
255 Posts
Kahr PM9 might work depending on the size & shape of ur khaki pockets. Mine doesn't print when I use my $9 Blackhawk size 4 pocket holster for front pocket carry. Should be the same for the carry u propose.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373916332.438235.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not in a region prone to pickpockets. I'm pretty rural.

Not to worried about losing the gun out of the pocket. Never lost a wallet out of my pants.

My initial thoughts were PM9, Solo, possibly a Shield.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I carry a Kahr CM9 in an Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster in my right front pocket in Dockers while at work.

all you can see is a round hump. No firearm print is visible.

...after carrying in my right front pocket for years, I am not terribly worried about printing while carrying in my front pockets. If someone is scoping out your "front pockets", I doubt
they are checking to see if you are carrying a gun. :danceban:

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I'm a big fan of back pocket carry with an LCP. I've had no problems since adopting it 3-4 years ago (choice of holster is critical).

With my build (6'), there's no way that I could carry my PM9 back there, otherwise I would. It's how .380 worked it's way into my carry options.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's definitely the kind of holster I'm talking about. I may have to settle for a 380 if I want to use the back pocket. I really need to try to find a shop that has a Kahr.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
If you use a pocket holster with an anti print panel, you will be able to carry front pocket with zero issues. There are 9mm pistols out there that approach the size of the micro .380s, but they are all significantly heavier. Whether that is comfortable to you for all day carry is something for you to decide.

I have some holsters from Hidden Holsters - Expertly Crafted Pocket Holsters

These look good too www.maelwear.com

Also, consider a .38 revolver like the LCR. At 16 oz loaded, it is light weight enough, and Dockers have pockets of a sufficient size. The rounded revolver shape tends to print less, and they also draw faster out of a pocket.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I tried single stack 9mm for pocket carry and could not get it to work for me.

LCP or P3AT size firearm works well in front pocket carry with a good holster.

Would not enjoy setting on my CC all day at work.

IWB carry is a good option if you work with it and get a holster that works for you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried single stack 9mm for pocket carry and could not get it to work for me.

Would not enjoy setting on my CC all day at work.

IWB carry is a good option if you work with it and get a holster that works for you.
There's no way I can carry iwb at work. I have to tuck my shirts in. Tuckable holsters simply do not work for me. There is not enough room to tuck enough of my shirts in. So one side is slouched out really bad and it's pretty obvious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have carried a Ruger LCP .380 in my back pocket many many times and it was no problem. Used just a cheap remora style holster. As far as 9mm goes, maybe try the sig 938, Maybe a Keltec pf9 or Kahr CM9/PM9?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I carried a Taurus TCP back pocket for years until this past February when I upgraded to a Sig P938. I love the Sig in my back pocket. No issues at all as long as your pocket is big enough.

I even recently did a 2000 mike driving trip and had it in my pocket the whole time without discomfort.

And no, in 3 years of back pocket carrying both the Taurus and Sig, have I ever had my gun accidentally fall out.

Bob

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I have experimented with my Kel-Tec PF-9 in a pocket holster. I have carried in my right rear pocket but found that it aggavated my lower back. OTOH, I now carry it in my right front pocket with no problems im most all pants including casual Dockers type slacks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts