Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions maybe somebody know the answer.

I was talking to a friend who is a revolver fan. He has a few 9 mm auto-pistols but really prefers revolvers.

A 9mm case is tapered slightly and it is rimless. But there are many 38/357 that have been modified to use moon clips.

Has anybody fired a 9 mm in a 38 or 357 using moon clips?
I would expect the case to fire-form and maybe split. Still in an emergency it could possibly be safe??? Does anybody know for sure?

Second question, has anybody has a 32 cylinder bored out and chambered for the 9 mm to headspace on the mouth and use moon clips for extraction? Any idea of what that would cost?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dunno but IIRC ruger makes/made a blackhawk that came with a .38/.357 cylinder and a 9mm cylinder. like their .45 colt/.45acp convertable. The 9MM measures .380 @ the mouth and [email protected] the base (not the rim) the .38/.357 is straight at .379 so I doubt you could get it in the chamber. I think S&W has made wheel guns in 9MM as well.

·
8,501 Posts
IIRC a 9mm is .355 and a .38/.357 is .357 so if you could get the chambering of the round worked out it is feasable.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
A while back someone made a revolver that was called medusa or something like that. It was claimed to handle 9mm/.38/.357 with no moon clips or modifications.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Ruger still make the Blackhawk Convertable (model number 10308 and 10318) with interchangeable cylinders for 357/38 and 9MM. The convertable cost an additional $70. I don't see any advantage to shooting 9MM in a 357/38. The bullet is slightly undersized for the barrel. Although I have not done any chrono testing I am sure the 9MM will suffer velocity loss in a revolver.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Putting ammo into a gun that it isn't designed for is a bad idea in my opinion, just asking for an accident.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Smith and Wesson made a Model 940 J-frame in 9mm, they are scarce but out there, and demand a premium when in good condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts