Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of loading some 9mm lead bullets, but I was wondering if 9mm loads are too fast for lead. Do they create leading problems?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Not really. Most lead bullet loads are pretty mild and you shouldnt notice any leading until you have shot a few hundred rounds.

Its a cheap way to shoot and I use a lot of lead.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I been shooting lead 9mm for years and never have a problem

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I tried this once in a S&W 5906. After a few rounds lead started building up on the feed ramp causing FTF problems. Maybe it was just that particular gun, but I've stuck to jacketed since.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
i reload 9mm and never had a problem. one thing about reloading you can work up some good loads for the 9. remember you don't have to run them hot.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I tried this once in a S&W 5906. After a few rounds lead started building up on the feed ramp causing FTF problems. Maybe it was just that particular gun, but I've stuck to jacketed since.
Sounds like your bullets were too soft,pure lead bullets are great for muzzle loaders but will cause excessive leading in modern firearms

·
Registered
371 Posts
I shoot lead all the time in my 9mm. The general rule of thumb (read somewhere, can't quote the source) is that leading is not an issue until you start going above 1100+ fps. I do know that I shoot cast bullets in my levergun rifles all the time, at speeds of 1350-1800 fps and have never had any leading problems. As one poster said, you can buy the appropriate lead bullet (with the right hardness, tin content, etc.) for 9mm speeds that will not lead-up at all -- just don't use pure, soft lead.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The only problem you might run into is if your barrel is polygonal rifled instead of standard rifling. DO NOT shoot lead through PG rifled barrels. They will lead up quickly, and cause high pressures. Glocks and the PM line of Kahrs are PG rifled. I know of aftermarket barrels standard rifled for the Glocks, but not the Kahrs.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I shoot lead all the time in my 9mm. The general rule of thumb (read somewhere, can't quote the source) is that leading is not an issue until you start going above 1100+ fps. I do know that I shoot cast bullets in my levergun rifles all the time, at speeds of 1350-1800 fps and have never had any leading problems. As one poster said, you can buy the appropriate lead bullet (with the right hardness, tin content, etc.) for 9mm speeds that will not lead-up at all -- just don't use pure, soft lead.
You want hard cast, and not swaged.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I shoot cast lead bullets all the time in my 9mm without any problems.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I poured lead for my guns and never had any leading problems. As long as the slug is sized right, well lubricated and hard cast you should be ok at moderate velocities.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Bullet size, hardness, lube, and powder choice will have an effect on leading.

Size the bullet right, use ample hardness bullet with decent lube and medium burn powder like WSF and you will be OK. Most of the bullets on the market today are too hard. For most pistol cartridges, a bullet hardness of 14-15 BHN is plenty hard.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I get fair bit of leading in my .40cal but not so much in my 9mm guns. Some people throw a couple FMJ into every 50-100 lead bullets to keep the lead down

·
Registered
43,677 Posts
SP Magnum primers in a .38? Why?
I wouldn't do it unless a load specifically called for it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Try Frontier CMJ (copper coated, lead projectiles), safe for Poly barrels as well ive loaded hundreds of these and shot them without issue in all my Glocks.

Load them to the same specs as FMJ.

Cheap as well $89US per 1000.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
can i use magnum small pistol primer in a 38spl?
Not recommended. There are no powders suitable for .38 Special that require Magnum primers.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Not recommended BUT you can use them if you develop a proper load using the magnum primers in your load.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts