Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was an active member for awhile about 10 years ago. I wasn't able to afford to get the pistol I wanted and got busy and dropped off. Last week I bought a CC pistol and I'm taking the state class tomorrow.

My pistol is a Ruger EC9s. I noticed in the manual that Ruger strongly discouraged +P ammo. Yesterday at the range I bought a box of ammo and noticed after I got home it was 9mm NATO and not 9mm Luger. I looked up the difference and saw that NATO is more powerful and just slightly less than +P. I don't know if I can return it at the store.

Is it a problem with a new Ruger EC9s to shoot the 9mm NATO?

Also, I realized that I hadnt bought a cleaning kit. My old one got messed up in a move long ago, and I'm wondering if I need to clean my gun between the one usage yesterday and the class tomorrow. I shot 50 rounds of 9mm Luger PMC FMJ shells.

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
As you noted 9mm nato is not +P .. So your fine .. Most of the time they put that in there so some putz does not put some home brewed over power ammo or the old sub gun 9mm ammo in the gun( like the brit or rem loads or imi black tips ) and tears the gun apart ... 9MM +p is SAMMI booked meaning it has clear limits on pressure and load ... I would not put +p+ in a gun unless I knew the load and the gun could take it . +p unless the gun was ring of fire or ? on age or working I would think a limited ammont should be ok

I notice many guns now come with a small sample size of cleaner and basic cleaning gear ( being a eco gun maybe not ) .I would at least try to clean the bore out and get the breach clean ..But 50 or so round of brass factory ammo the gun should be a-ok .

Def get a cleaning kit at some point ..Many company make a all in one kits now that have evething from mat to rods .. I like M-pro 7 my self as I am not a fan of smelly cleaners .. But there is a lot of them out there .

Edit to add .. Def rickty tick get some good HP or SD ammo and make sure the gun runs with the HP you like .. Nothing more awarke then needing the gun and it jamming on the round lol.. I would not carry it with FMJ .. Fine and dadny for taking the CCW but def get some time in with the load you will carry ... Gold dots , HST are both good choices

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
NATO 9mm is not +P. True NATO 9mm is 124 gr. No madder what some try to spin. It is fine. As for cleaning it no you do not need to clean it every time you fire it. Think about this. You have a fire arm you shot it worked fine. You take it apart really get it clean.
Will it function when you need it? After cleaning a weapon should be fire unless it is going in the vault. . What round to carry is like a moto oil thread for motorcycles it will be going 20 years and still no real winner.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Agree with @WrongRecroom that you should be able to shoot the 9mm Nato in your slightly fired without cleaning Ruger EC9s @CJ810. Wally world, Academy, and Amazon plus many others offer basic pistol specific or universal cleaning kits. I have accumulated different odds and ends over many years that I keep in a large tool box, but the basics only consist of a rod, brush, jag, and stiff bristle brush plus some cloth cleaning patches and solvent. You didn't mention it, but do you have a holster yet? The EC9s can be carried in a pocket, Inside the Waist Band, or Outside the Waist Band. When I had a Ruger LC9s I carried it IWB or in my pocket in kydex holsters that I purchased on Ebay. Very economical.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Agree with @WrongRecroom that you should be able to shoot the 9mm Nato in your slightly fired without cleaning Ruger EC9s @CJ810. Wally world, Academy, and Amazon plus many others offer basic pistol specific or universal cleaning kits. I have accumulated different odds and ends over many years that I keep in a large tool box, but the basics only consist of a rod, brush, jag, and stiff bristle brush plus some cloth cleaning patches and solvent. You didn't mention it, but do you have a holster yet? The EC9s can be carried in a pocket, Inside the Waist Band, or Outside the Waist Band. When I had a Ruger LC9s I carried it IWB or in my pocket in kydex holsters that I purchased on Ebay. Very economical.
Yep tell me about I just spent a hour or so cleaning up my box of cleaning gear ... I thunk what you mentioned is more then a good start .. I would add a bore snake for quick cleaning ( I like them or ram rods for light shooting cleaning ) ..

And def carry it in some sort of holster is a big +1 as well dont raw carry it thats just asking for issues

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much. I'll probably clean it after the class tomorrow. I went to the store tonight (different one) and got a cleaning kit and they had 9mm luger in today so I got two more boxes.

I've looked at a lot of different holsters online. I'm leaning toward an IWB at 5:00. I've looked at so many they're starting to get mixed up. There was an uncle mike's on sale tonight at the store but it was only in size 10 which looked on the chart like it was not the right size.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have an EC9S. It is a good reliable pistol & doesn't seem to be ammo picky. It shoots POA/POI with 124 grain standard pressure ammo. I carry HSTs. Enjoy your gun.

Reactions: CJ810 and Old Man

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts
Thank you very much. I'll probably clean it after the class tomorrow. I went to the store tonight (different one) and got a cleaning kit and they had 9mm luger in today so I got two more boxes.

I've looked at a lot of different holsters online. I'm leaning toward an IWB at 5:00. I've looked at so many they're starting to get mixed up. There was an uncle mike's on sale tonight at the store but it was only in size 10 which looked on the chart like it was not the right size.

Thanks, again.
My question is, have you lubed it yet?

·
Super Moderator
19,226 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about cleaning it, more important is making sure the right parts are lubed.

FWIW, competition shooters (action pistol, like IDPA, USPSA) don't clean their guns often, and 150-200 rounds per match is common. I wipe the muzzle, feed ramp and breech face clean after a match or practice session and add lube just before the next match/use. Keeping guns clean is good discipline, but can be over-done. After tearing a gun down for cleaning, savvy shooters fire a number of rounds through the gun to verify proper function before the next match... keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts

Thanks, again.
Please do not buy an Uncle Mikes soft holster to carry your new gun. That is an accident waiting to happen,especially with a striker fired gun. Concealment Express makes a really decent affordable Kydex holster with a choice of clip or snap loop attachment (I strongly recommend the snap loop and strut for retention on your belt). I think including shipping around $45 bucks. I know you are thinking economy with the EC9S but, spend a little money on a properly fitted holster for that specific model.
That would give you a reliable and safe setup. Good luck to you on the concealed carry lifestyle.

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
From the manual:
The RUGER® LC9s® pistol is compatible with standard factory ammunition
loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including hollow-point loads loaded in brass
or aluminum cases. No 9mm Luger ammunition manufactured in accordance
with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design
limits or known not to function in this pistol.
You're good with the 9mm NATO.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Thanks, again.
I have both a EC9s and a LC9s Pro. I bought a nice IWB Kydex holster off eBay for under $20, jetacticalholsters.
(no affiliation. just my hands on experience)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Concealment-Ruger-LC9-LC9s-EC9s-LC380-IWB-Carbon-Black-Kydex-Holster-Right/132661055113?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Holster fits both guns nicely. It is my favorite IWB for these guns. It only took 3 tries to find what I liked :)

·
Registered
9,549 Posts

Thanks, again.
Second what other has said .. Dont go cheep with holsters .. And you will end up with a few different kinds I have boxs of the darn things to be honset lol

IWB can be not comfy for some dep on body type and where you carry it

If you know you will like the gun and will carry it spend the money on a good rig

Galco is doing 20% this month and is USA made and good leather
Desantis does 20% sales a lot or holster of the week sales

And of course plenty of handmade vendors .. I just ordered some from Nelson leather on here ..Good guy and good leather ..he is the only AWIB ( front carry ) or IWB I would use as I am larger and like the neporen backing he does .

Keep it simply on holster I say either pocket carry it or iwb or owb .. Once you get good then worry about fancy carry option

I would not carry it small of the back due to back injuer issues

Oh and as noted skip Uncle mikes they are basic holster that are often one size fits many ( which is ok for pocket holster ) but for IWB or such get one made for the gun

Ditto spare mags skip pro mag or aftermarket mags stick with factory or if offered mecgear

Reactions: CJ810 and Old Man

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts

Thanks, again.
Wait, you found Ammo? Where?

P.S. Welcome back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sorry for the delay in replying.

My LTC class went well on Sunday. I passed the written with 100% and 242 on the shooting portion.

I cleaned the gun that night. I have not been to a range since but I dryfired it 3 or 4 times after reassembling it and it didn't do anything abnormal. I'm hoping to get to the range again Friday or Saturday.

I have looked at a bunch of holsters online. I liked the look of the sneaky pete but it was a little $$.

I appreciate the suggestion of having a holster with a retention device. One of the reasons I've been focused on completing this is I deliver food for an online service for extra money and that has taken me into some nasty parts of town. But with the in and out on the car so much I was worried about a holster coming loose. I think I'd prefer a loop connection to the belt rather than a clip, but I don't know how common that is for a concealed holster.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bullet Trap in Plano, Brinson Powersports and Atwoods in Corsicana. On Saturday Atwood's had gotten a number of calibers in (9, 40, 45).

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
A decent belt, and outside the belt holster. Around 4-30 position is good. A couple of drops of oil on the contact points, frame to slide.
Good to go. Be aware of how your call to service is received. Dry fire a little with your new holster. Make sure your draw puts the sights in line with your eyes, looking through the sights, not over them. Carry a second magazine, most malfunctions with pistols tend to be magazine related.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A decent belt, and outside the belt holster. Around 4-30 position is good. A couple of drops of oil on the contact points, frame to slide.
Good to go. Be aware of how your call to service is received. Dry fire a little with your new holster. Make sure your draw puts the sights in line with your eyes, looking through the sights, not over them. Carry a second magazine, most malfunctions with pistols tend to be magazine related.[/QUOT]

What do you mean by "Call to service"? Is that the draw?

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
I'm sorry for the delay in replying.

My LTC class went well on Sunday. I passed the written with 100% and 242 on the shooting portion.

I cleaned the gun that night. I have not been to a range since but I dryfired it 3 or 4 times after reassembling it and it didn't do anything abnormal. I'm hoping to get to the range again Friday or Saturday.

I have looked at a bunch of holsters online. I liked the look of the sneaky pete but it was a little $$.

I appreciate the suggestion of having a holster with a retention device. One of the reasons I've been focused on completing this is I deliver food for an online service for extra money and that has taken me into some nasty parts of town. But with the in and out on the car so much I was worried about a holster coming loose. I think I'd prefer a loop connection to the belt rather than a clip, but I don't know how common that is for a concealed holster.

On retention there is three levels

1. The holster serves to keep it in place
2. Holster itselfe plus another force like a thumb strap
3. Holster plus normal two or more other like a hood and button or the like

I would make sure if you get a more then 1 level holster to really train so if you need to pull you dont forgot the strap and mess up ..For a small gun like that I think a proper made for the holster will be fine no extra gear unless you are planning on a lot of weird postion like hanging upside down or somehthing .. Make sure you got one with a harden put where you put the gun in so it does not fold up and pull the trigger ( this has happened with cheep holsters ) ...

Plenty of belt loop holsters

Look at Desantis and Galco both make very good made for micro gun holster ..Of course I like nelson leather as well .. Spend the money on good gear .. Galco is doing 20% off all month and De santis does 20-30% sales a lot ..

Def get dummy rounds to pratice dry firing and clearing etc with as well .

Reactions: CJ810

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Good to go. Be aware of how your call to service is received. Dry fire a little with your new holster. Make sure your draw puts the sights in line with your eyes, looking through the sights, not over them. Carry a second magazine, most malfunctions with pistols tend to be magazine related.[/QUOT]

What do you mean by "Call to service"? Is that the draw?
Just getting into the fight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts