• Never heard of it/about it...

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldnt find anything on PMC ammo so if i was wrong... my bad

I'm currently carrying PMC starfire in my G19. When i can afford it i will either buy some more so that i can shoot some of it... or get a different round for carry

However, for now i just thought i would throw it out there to see if anyone has experience with this round....likes dislikes issues...

I have not fired one of the rounds yet as ammo is not the cheapest and ive been buying practice ammo for volume practice to improve

Thanks,

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Why are you carrying ammo that you don't even know if it will function reliably or not in your gun,you are better off carrying practice ammo you know will function in your gun until you shoot some carry ammo

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'm currently carrying PMC starfire in my G19. When i can afford it i will either buy some more so that i can shoot some of it... or get a different round for carry
You are carrying something you have never actually shot????

Thats an incredibly dangerous thing to do, trusting your life on an unproven gun/ammo combination. I would never think of carrying anything that I had not put at least 100 rounds of (without ANY problems) through my gun. Your life is worth much more than a couple of boxes of ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I no sooner checked "never heard of it" then realized I've seen it at the gun shop. I never fired it although I suppose most any ammo will do the job. I'll shoot range ammo if I'm feeling (or actually) poor, but for carry ammo, I always carry top grade. Most recently, I'm carrying Federal Nyclad.
Regards,

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I've shot it in 9mm, and have some .357 Starfire in my GP-100.

It's decent ammo; an older bullet design, akin to the HydraShok and Black Talon.

However--the other posters are right--you really, really, really should run at least a box (preferably 100 rounds) through your G19 to make certain the ammo works with your gun in your hands.

Will the Starfire function OK in your G19 if you needed it? Probably. However, the way I see it, there'll be enough random, bad things happening at the time you need your gun; why introduce another?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My buddy bought some in 9mm actually & every thing we shot it into or through to test expansion it never held together in a solid piece, it fragmented every time. The fragmented piece sizes depended on what we fired it into, but never less i would NEVER carry "starfire" as a personal defense round. :hand1:
The only good thing about it was all 50 rounds feed perfect, BUT we shot it through a Glock 19 & everything feeds through a Glock....

I highly recommend either Federal HST or Winchester Ranger Talon.....just my .02

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Isn't that one of the brands of ammo featured in the "comic book" ads in the front of gun rags?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have some of the starfires in .45 acp, but not in 9mm. They seemed to work fine in my 1911.

I will agree with a few other posters about making sure the ammo is reliable in your gun before trusting it to work when it absolutely needs to. However since I was only able to snag 50 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre JHP's, I've only ran 16 rounds through my G19. One in the pipe and a full magazine-no malfunctions. I wanted to make sure I had enough SD ammo left over for 1 in the pipe and 2 magazines. Most (and I use that term loosely) gunfights will not require a reload let alone 16 rounds, but stuff happens.

I carried Remington UMC round nose (practice/range ammo) until I was able to get to the range and try the Golden Sabre.

Run some of that through and carry practice ammo until you know it will work.

Joker1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do a search on youtube for PMC Starfire and you will see some tests shot into water. Like others have said its an older design. Ditto to everyone else s suggestion, you need to shoot at least 100 through your gun to make sure it feeds.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Isn't that one of the brands of ammo featured in the "comic book" ads in the front of gun rags?
Nope. You're thinking of the "EXXXTREME SHOCK FANG FACE UBER-TAKTIKAL DEATH BULLETS".:scruntiny:

Or something like that.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I did a search and couldnt find anything on PMC ammo so if i was wrong... my bad

However, for now i just thought i would throw it out there to see if anyone has experience with this round....likes dislikes issues...

I have not fired one of the rounds yet as ammo is not the cheapest and ive been buying practice ammo for volume practice to improve

Thanks,
I have fired some and they shot fine but I read somewhere they
did not expand reliably as other brands so I don't carry them.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
For those who haven't heard of it.
PMC Starfire.
I've never used any, but from their published stats at the link above, it doesn't seem to measure up energy-wise to other good SD ammo.

Hoss

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys I'm with you on shooting the ammo... There are a few reasons that i haven't - first, i could never find 100 rounds to blow in my area, its simply not available. 2nd, I Don't have $170 to spend on it. Im going to go shoot these PMC's this weekend and get something else. Ill let you know how they shoot thought. It was a calculated risk based on finances - i dont really agree that its dangerous.:boese51:

Ill bet you a beer they all shoot through my glock just fine and on target

....the feedback is why i asked the question - which has gotten me to think i need to look at a different ammo. I think i saw rangers on here as being really good - but i want to say NY may have restrictions on them.

I haven't done any research on that - just kind of the way my state rolls

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Never tried it, because I’m not a fan of fragmentation ammo
OH ya… I agree with others.

While I understand it’s a Glock and they almost never hiccup, you should NEVER carry ammo in your weapon you have not at least shot 50 times, and I’d prefer 100.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Only shot .40 and .45 Starfire. They make very pretty designs when shot into water. Other than that, there are better for cheaper bullets to be found. Should work as well as any other regular jhp.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I have fired it and carried it in a few guns. 124gr in 9mm, 230gr ACP, and 155gr .40. I have shot some into water / wet newspaper and I think it's an underappreciated load. It expands with a nice flat face and sharp edges instead of a rounded mushroom shape. I thought that PMC was out of business and I haven't seen the ammo in a while. I think all I have left is some .40 in spare mags for my MK40 Kahr (I keep 135gr Quick Shok in it)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts