Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The X-Carry is part of the Carry size of the 320 line. The Carry and X-Carry are basically a Commander, full size grip/slightly shorter barrel. Same 17 round capacity as the Full size.

The X-5 is the upgraded version of the P320 Full size(that you looked at).

With the 320 series, you just have to choose barrel length. The grip modules -17/15/12 rounds can be changed. I mostly use the Carry size but for summer(you know how hot it has been here), I switch to the Compact or sometimes the Subcompact.
Yah. The heat this past few weeks has been terrible. However, having to wear a suit every day allows me to carry pretty much anything.

I looked up the X series and I noticed they have the plate for mounting an MRDS. This could change things a bit because I am also looking to get into the MRDS game.

Have you tried one on yours?

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
I really like my original M&P, which I got for $300 NIB when the 2.0’s came out (though I had to adjust the sights, they were waaaay off out of the box).

If considering a P320, I would read this first, to make sure the one you get has been “upgraded” so it won’t fire when dropped. Probably all the old stock is gone by now, but who knows.

https://www.sigsauer.com/support/p320-voluntary-upgrade/

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I have not tried one ever. I think I want one but cannot decide. My 320 will go to The Sig Armorer soon for trigger work. It really does not need it at all but, trigger snob. This is my do everything gun so I really need some time with a red dot to make certain I like it for carry and play.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
after I bought the SIG P365 a year ago, I decided I liked it so much, maybe the P320 might be a good additon. I picked up the P320 Compact used in Like freaking perferct condition with SIGLITE night sights for a steal. It is just and outstanding gun, and the SIG P320X Compact is the next one on my radar. It takes the 15 round mags for my P320 which is a big plus for me. I'm a Glock guy, so the higher bore axis on the SIG is different, but not an issue. The reviews of the P320X Compact are just outstanding....basically a custom P320 for a few more dollars. Sorry for the huge pictures, but the Little Programming elves at Photobucket have been screwing with all the editing functions. I would just like to throat punch them.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Cant go wrong with a HK but I am holding out to handle the new P365XL...I want to see what that is all about. The original p365 is too small for me...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My usual advice, narrow down your list and do your best to find models you can borrow or rent. You never know for sure without shooting those you think you might like. In the size range you are looking at I currently have a G19 gen 4 and a SIG P220 and P320c (and a new x compact). I've had a G23 and a HK P30 and shot but not owned several other polymer pistols. If you are used to shooting 1911s, the SIGs or models with similar frame designs will point most naturally for you (in my experience), but in the end find what you shoot best and you've made your choice.

Regarding mounting red dot sights (which I really like), the G19 MOS and the SIG P320 x series (as do some other makes) have a removable plate to allow mounting a red dot, and the P320 RX comes with a red dot (Romeo 1) already mounted.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
My usual advice, narrow down your list and do your best to find models you can borrow or rent. You never know for sure without shooting those you think you might like. In the size range you are looking at I currently have a G19 gen 4 and a SIG P220 and P320c (and a new x compact). I've had a G23 and a HK P30 and shot but not owned several other polymer pistols. If you are used to shooting 1911s, the SIGs or models with similar frame designs will point most naturally for you (in my experience), but in the end find what you shoot best and you've made your choice.

Regarding mounting red dot sights (which I really like), the G19 MOS and the SIG P320 x series (as do some other makes) have a removable plate to allow mounting a red dot, and the P320 RX comes with a red dot (Romeo 1) already mounted.
I plan to look around at local ranges for rentals.

The P320 M17 has my attention. Delta Point Pro RDS compatible.

This one is still on my list to look at.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Don't know why you're not okay with Walthers. I have two, and I think they are some of the finest polymers made. If you're concerned with their connection to Umarex, don't be. Walthers are made to very high standards, and for me, have been 100% reliable.

My carry gun is a Walther and I trust it to function every time.
These two bolded statements are simply fact.

I'm not a loyal fanboy to any brand, owning or having owned many of the handguns mentioned in this thread so far. That's Glocks, M&Ps, H&K VP9s, FNSs, Walthers, Sigs and Kahrs and multiple models or calibers in all of them. That list includes three Walther PPQs including the fine Q5 as well as a P99 compact. None of the aforementioned brands beats the Walthers in fit, finish, ergonomics or in my own shooting of them. The PPQs are a delight to hold, shoot and own. If I were forced to whittle all my handguns down to just three, one of those would certainly be a PPQ.

However, personal choice is just that: Personal.

OP, as others have opined, most of the present day polymer wonders from top end manufacturers are well made and will serve you well. Best of luck with your choice and may you shoot it in good health.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have a HK USP and USP Compact (mine are in .40), and both remind me of an updated 1911. I typically carry them Condition 1, and I like them very much. That said, I don't carry them all that often because I carry my Hi Power most of the time these days.

I have not held a polymer CZ75, but it would be high on my list if I was shopping for a polymer gun.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Picked up a Diamond Back AM2 not much bigger than a Glock 43. Cone with a 12 round and 17 round mag. Will take Glock sights, nice trigger pull. The chassis is the serialized part and can be remove by taking out one pin. Breaks down like a Glock. I have over 1500 rounds throughout it without any issues.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ok. I'll throw another on the list that I think many people overlook. Maybe because of its looks, but it's grown on me. I traded in my SX Mod2 Tactical on a Beretta APX. The trigger is so much better. One of the best in a polymer, so I've read.
Plus, they must not be selling well because right now they have a $100 rebate! I got mine when they had the $50 rebate. Lots of sizes and colors to choose from too.
I got the compact, which is between the G26 and G19. Yeah, it's a little chunky, but if you're going to carry a full-size frame double-stack anything, it's going to be.
Just thought I'd add my $.02!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I have a HK USP and USP Compact (mine are in .40), and both remind me of an updated 1911. I typically carry them Condition 1, and I like them very much. That said, I don't carry them all that often because I carry my Hi Power most of the time these days.

I have not held a polymer CZ75, but it would be high on my list if I was shopping for a polymer gun.
I've handled the CZ CZ75 SP01 PHANTOM in 9 and its a nice weapon. 18rounds, 4.6in barrel, weighs just under 30oz, trigger was ok but not as good as the Walther or steel CZ's I've handled. Best price is $429 that I can find and with the PPQ at $449 it would not be a hard choice for me. No problems with the CZ but, the PPQ trigger is better and it fits my hand better too.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Today I was able to check out the P320 M17, P320 X Carry, P320 RX with Romeo1 RDS, FN 509, and the Walther PPQ M2 at 2 different shops Complete plastic overload to say the least. Of course, I messed with the VP9 and M&P 9 2.0 again. I did my best to remember everything, and it's possible I will leave out a few details.

Walther-very nice feel in the hand. My prior opinions on the Walthers are no longer. It's not a bad looking gun in person. I was not able to try the trigger because of Cabellas trigger locks. Disappointed about that. This is the only model I have been unable to dry fire at this point. Not optic ready, and no MS.

M17 stock trigger has very little takeup, but the trigger is a bit heavy. Break isn't bad. Sig does have a better trigger assembly available, and I was able to try it on a different Sig. Optic ready, longer barrel, and MS are pluses.

VP9 trigger had more takeup than M17, but was much lighter and had a decent break. Still love the way it feels in my hand. Not optic ready and no MS.

X carry was pretty sweet. I like the extended beavertail that the M17 lacks. Good balance, trigger was flat with lighter pull. I'm guessing this is the setup that can be installed in the M17 or other P320s. Optic ready is a plus. No MS.

RX with RDS similar to Xcarry except for standard P320 trigger and RDS setup. No MS. This model purchased with RDS mounted is a good value.

M&P 2.0 is out. Did not like the trigger.

FN 509. Not a good feel in my hand. Unable to dry fire (Cabellas).

Gun shop guy at smaller shop was very helpful, and introduced me to a gun I'd never heard of, nor can I remember the name. It's a Turkish company, and starts with a C I believe. The gun was a competition model with an orange safety lever on the trigger and threaded bbl. Amazing trigger. Very, very little takeup, and the pull weight is less than my custom 1911s. Scary light.

And you Sig P210 fans...I now know why you like them.

I checked a few different tactical models, just because they were there, but none of them made a big impression on me.

I'm leaning towards the M17, Xcarry, or the RX with Romeo1. I like the optic ready platform, and the MS. If the VP9 had these options, the search would be over. However, I still need to find a PPQ M2 to dry fire.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Today I was able to check out the P320 M17, P320 X Carry, P320 RX with Romeo1 RDS, FN 509, and the Walther PPQ M2 at 2 different shops Complete plastic overload to say the least. Of course, I messed with the VP9 and M&P 9 2.0 again. I did my best to remember everything, and it's possible I will leave out a few details.

Walther-very nice feel in the hand. My prior opinions on the Walthers are no longer. It's not a bad looking gun in person. I was not able to try the trigger because of Cabellas trigger locks. Disappointed about that. This is the only model I have been unable to dry fire at this point. Not optic ready, and no MS.

M17 stock trigger has very little takeup, but the trigger is a bit heavy. Break isn't bad. Sig does have a better trigger assembly available, and I was able to try it on a different Sig. Optic ready, longer barrel, and MS are pluses.

VP9 trigger had more takeup than M17, but was much lighter and had a decent break. Still love the way it feels in my hand. Not optic ready and no MS.

X carry was pretty sweet. I like the extended beavertail that the M17 lacks. Good balance, trigger was flat with lighter pull. I'm guessing this is the setup that can be installed in the M17 or other P320s. Optic ready is a plus. No MS.

RX with RDS similar to Xcarry except for standard P320 trigger and RDS setup. No MS. This model purchased with RDS mounted is a good value.

M&P 2.0 is out. Did not like the trigger.

FN 509. Not a good feel in my hand. Unable to dry fire (Cabellas).

Gun shop guy at smaller shop was very helpful, and introduced me to a gun I'd never heard of, nor can I remember the name. It's a Turkish company, and starts with a C I believe. The gun was a competition model with an orange safety lever on the trigger and threaded bbl. Amazing trigger. Very, very little takeup, and the pull weight is less than my custom 1911s. Scary light.

And you Sig P210 fans...I now know why you like them.

I checked a few different tactical models, just because they were there, but none of them made a big impression on me.

I'm leaning towards the M17, Xcarry, or the RX with Romeo1. I like the optic ready platform, and the MS. If the VP9 had these options, the search would be over. However, I still need to find a PPQ M2 to dry fire.

DG, are you RH or LH?

The HK vp9 (paddle mag release), and vp-9B (American style button mag release) are great pistols with lots of appeal. And one can buy the HK Long slide kit for the vp9.

One of the things I really like about the p320 is the modularity, just pull the FCU to clean and lube. All p320 FCUs work with other p320 grip modules and slide assemblies. One minor thing some have reported is having a p320 grip module that isn't cut for an FCU with manual safety, apparently many have just used a dremel to cut the groove in the polymer instead of buying a grip with the cut already in it. It's like the AR15 of pistols.

Reactions: deadguy

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
DG, are you RH or LH?

The HK vp9 (paddle mag release), and vp-9B (American style button mag release) are great pistols with lots of appeal. And one can buy the HK Long slide kit for the vp9.

One of the things I really like about the p320 is the modularity, just pull the FCU to clean and lube. All p320 FCUs work with other p320 grip modules and slide assemblies. One minor thing some have reported is having a p320 grip module that isn't cut for an FCU with manual safety, apparently many have just used a dremel to cut the groove in the polymer instead of buying a grip with the cut already in it. It's like the AR15 of pistols.
I'm right handed. The paddle mag release is a bit weird, and would opt for the button release model VP9. I have seen the 5" slide and bbl setup and it does appeal to me. However, at $450, I can't justify it.

The ability to switch grip modules is another plus for P320 setup. I do like that option, and they aren't expensive.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm throwing in the PPQ M2. I was looking at the CZ P07, FNX9, and G19. I held the PPQ was hooked. The ergos are awesome. I am shooting it well and am really happy with it. The simple take down and lifetime warranty are a bonus.

walther_2.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
"Springfield XDs are out for me. I'm not a fan of the bulky top end."

I felt the same way until I actually fired one. My EDCs are now either the SA XD Mod 2 45 Subcompact or the SA XD Mod 2 40 Subcompact. I still, on occasion, carry the S&W Shield in 9 or 45 and sometimes the Rossi 462 snubby 357, now that's a man's gun. Anyhow, good luck in your search.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts