Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for ideas for a good 9mm range gun. Reliable rugged and preferrably Hi-cap. It can be new or used but in good shape, DA./SA or DAO. Need a reputable reliable manufacturer. Would like to stick with Glock, Sig, HK, CZ, Smith and Wesson, Beretta, or Kahr. Should be compact or fullsize...no subs. My fiancee, (tdwood), wants to go to the range more, but wants her own gun until she gets a "carry gun." My first instinct is a G17, because she is leaning toward a G26 to carry eventually, or a "bigger" Kahr, for a possible tranistion to a PM9. That is not set in stone though. Anybody have ideas? Where to purchase? Any dependable online dealers, besides Summit Gunbroker? Dont want something I have to replace a lot of parts on to make it reliable.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
first thought is a glock 19...compact and great way to familiarize with the glock platform...dependable as all heck and all but maintenance free...easy take down to clean...high capacity...the mags could be used for backup on the 26 if its chosen later to give it higher capacity...and its a comfortable range gun...

buds gun shop if youre looking on line...bud my dealer usually does a good job of getting close enough to make it worthwhile to give him the business...

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 1st 9mm range gun was a Ruger SR9. Very nice in my small to medium stubby hands and pretty light also. 17+1 and a pretty thin grip for a double stack. Never had any failures of any kind with over 1000 rounds through it.
I don't see or hear too much about them but it's been good to me.
There's a retailer in CT that I shop at who is still selling this gun for $370.00. They sell online also. Open the link below and click on "Featured Items"

Hoffman's Gun Center & Indoor Shooting Range

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Sig P226R, or P226 Elite-stainless.

Holds 15 rds in 9mm, ultimately reliable, laser accurate, easy and fun to shoot.

Also, and this is just my opinion...Sigs look better than anything else.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ruger P95. Hi-cap, reliable, inexpensive, compact, and if she changes her mind about going to the range, you're only out $300 compared to the $500+ for a glock or $700+ for a sig.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trying to keep it on the lower dollar side...which is why I also mentioned used. Police trade-in surplus whatever. I have a P228 that she likes to shoot. But she wants her OWN...LOL, keep the ideas coming.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Why not start her out with what she'll probably end up as her CCW?
I go ahead and get the Glock-26...perfect for her.:hand10:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Check out an XD 9mm service model. It has a 4 inch barrel and shoots very accurately right out of the box. I would suggest trying out guns at a range or borrowing to see what you like. I almost got the glock, but the XD felt a little better in my hand.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I would want to know or see what she liked as a carry gun, reason is they may be one and the same gun (EMP), or can marry to same magazines like various glocks and xd's(Pun intended)!

That said a beefier gun for the range is nice. She may wind up with a snubbie so a light wieght 38 for carry and all steel 357/38 for range...

Lots of possibilites, I see what she likes best and get her that!

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not start her out with what she'll probably end up as her CCW?
I go ahead and get the Glock-26...perfect for her.:hand10:
That is the idea I thought about first...but we were leaning toward a HD pistol fullsize or compact for the house anyways something to mount a light on to keep at the ready at ALL times besides a shotgun. This would get relegated to that duty when she is not at the range with it. I was leaning towards a G17 or a CZ75 or 226, or similar, maybe even a 5906, if I could find some good condition police "carry a lot shot a little gun" She is not great with the fundamentals of a handgun yet, and we both want her to practice with a bigger gun for awhile before she goes to a subcompact. More weight less, muzzle flip, longer sight raidus etc.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
You should be able to find CPO Sig P226 for around 500-600. For that price, it's well worth the $.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my CZ 75B. It's easy on the hands so you can go through a couple hundred rounds at the range with no problem. Everyone that has shot it has commented on how easy it is to shoot and how accurate they are with it. If she hasn't tried one you owe it to her to give it a shot. Find somewhere that rents pistols and try all of them that look interesting. The CZ has been flawless for me even after putting 5-600 rounds through it without cleaning. And you should be able to find a brand new one for around $500.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Browning Hi-Power. My favorite for the range. Also makes a great carry/home defense piece.

·
Registered
40,345 Posts
I have a Glock 30 and am looking at getting a G17 down the road for a more affordable to shoot range gun.

Some criticisms of the Glocks are the grip and I didn't like the slide lock lever. The extended lever cost me $13 installed. Both issues are beeing addressed in the Generation 4 Glocks coming out, interchangeable grip inserts to fit more hands better and extended lever, as well as a couple of other improvements.

The only other change I made to my G30 was I didn't like the white dot sight (used on many makes and models), which for me blended into a light background. A dab of dayglo orange paint took care of it.

The G27 would probably be a good fit for her smaller hands.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Glock 34 gets my vote!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts