Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and wanted to get some suggestions on reloading (or not) 9mm. I currently reload .40 and .45 on a Dillon SDB using BullsEye and Clays. I just picked up a 9mm about 3 weeks ago and have ~1000 rounds of factory ammo through it and I want to start reloading them for target and plinking.

Any suggestions on powder, bullet and loads? I don't necessarily reload for savings and do it more so because I enjoy the process as well as having ammo when I want/need it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
I use Hodgdon's

Either HP-38, or CFE for Pistol

Both meter well, accuracy is adequate for target practice.

As far as loads, go to Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People, you will get lots of specific load recommendations.

Accurate and Alliant offer similar sites. Just keep in mind that a lot depends on the bullet you select.

I use mostly Berry's 124gr HBRN, or HBFP

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had good success with Titegroup. I'd steer newer people away from it since it is flaky and easy to overcharge but you seem to have experience so I wouldn't worry about that part. I also use the Berry's 124 gr projectiles.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Bullet Works 124 gr plated RN over 4.5 gr W231.

·
Registered
36,239 Posts
HP-38/W231 under Missouri 124 grain LRNs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
147 gr Xtreme plated and 3.5 gr of VVN320 and you will have a very accurate soft shooting 9mm.Great with a suppressor too.

124 gr and 4 gr of VVN320 is also very accurate and clean. Not quite as soft as the 147's but still nice.
SW

·
Registered
631 Posts
I use/used aa#7 for 147 grain bullets and unique or power pistol for the lighter ones. Only time I reload 9mm is for some HPs now that I am older and dumber. For myself there is no reason to use powder on equivalent ammo that I can buy a box of 50 for 11 bucks. I save the powder for 460 Rowland which use aa#7 and power pistol. Just my thought process where the powder can be used to create $1.50 rounds instead of .22 cent rounds. I know you said you aren't doing it for cost effectiveness, nor am I but I feel it can be allocated in a better way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all of the suggestions. They really help pointing me to some options. I currently use xtreme plated 230g RN for my .45 and also have started shooting some of the Blue Bullets 200g SWC. I have been happy with the Blue Bullets but they really aren't that much less than the plated from xtreme. I thought about ordering the 147g RN from Blue Bullets but still contemplating the plated vs coated.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Both the powders you have on hand will work, it depends on your objective. For hotter loads, a slower burning powder (e.g. Power Pistol) would be better. I mostly use 231/HP38 and much prefer 124 gr bullets over 115. I've also loaded 135 and 147, both of which worked well but, of course, are a little more expensive. As to brands, for plated I've had best luck with Xtreme and for coated Bayou Bullets. Just mix and match until you find what runs best in your gun.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I try to handload ammo that's somewhat close to my carry load.

In 9mm, I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +p, so I handload 124 grain Missouri Bullet Co. "smallball" cast bullets or 125 grain Rimrock LRN cast bullets. I've tried a few different powders and, far and away, Unique is the most accurate in my Glock (using a Lone Wolf barrel) for both bullets, with a close-to-maximum powder charge.

If you're ok with a little extra cleaning, 9mm cast bullets are so cheap the per-bullet cost is ridiculously low. Somewhere between $0.06 or $0.07 per bullet.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
The two powders you are already using, Bullseye and Universal Clays, will both work just fine for 9mm loads. I prefer 124 grain plated bullets - most brands are pretty good (Ranier, Xtreme, Berrys, etc).

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
In 9mm, I normally load 147s, either coated form Bayou Bullets or plated from Xtreme bullets both over HP38.

Funny thing about the coated bullets VS plated. I have a couple HK 9mms (P30L and VP9) that lead with coated bullets in their polygon bores. I have 5 other 9mms that don't have an issue with coated. I also have 2 other HKs (.40 and .45) that don't have an issue with coated. So for those two 9mms I'm loading plated 147s, the rest I'm using coated which I can generally get cheaper.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
I hate to be boring but I am. Unique sure works well with 9mm, rendering really good velocity performance and uniformity in chronograph tests, using moderate to heavy loadings when compared with other suitable powders for the cartridge.

Never have got around to developing a light cast lead plinker load for 9mm in all these years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts