Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across some Wolf 9mm at an online retailer and the steel casing part made me hesitate (and the ammo was gone by the time I decided to try it).

Is this OK with most guns? Mines a Kahr CW9. I've heard of people doing fine with steel casing rounds in AR-15s and AKs, but hadn't heard of it in 9mm.

·
Registered
45,369 Posts
I don't buy it because I reload my brass.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Same situation as OLDVET. I also have stayed away from steel cases because I have a decent idea of how brass does its job during firing. I have no idea what steel cases do during firing. If times got hard enough and it was my only option, steel it would be.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've shot close to 1000 rounds of steel cased ammo in my G30, and never had any issues, but after reading about problems with the brand I quit using it, not worth it to save a few bucks, then have it cause problems... with your weapon...

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem. I reload ( brass ) but I sometimes purchase lower cost steel cased ammo. My range/club is all out doors. In the snow and wet spring season I don't have to chase my brass.

·
Premium Member
6,583 Posts
I've bought the occasional box of steel-case ammo when nothing else was available, or what was available was way too expensive. As a rule, though, I avoid it for several reasons:

1) It tends to be dirty.

2) It tends to be pretty inconsistent wrt performance. When you can feel a distinct difference in recoil between rounds out of the same box, you know that it's not exactly match grade stuff.

3) It will accelerate the wear on the gun (chamber, extractor, and ejector) compared to brass-cased ammo.

4) I like to reload when I can, though I haven't done any lately. I prefer (and save) brass cases.

5) In years past, there was a lot of foreign mil-surp steel-cased ammo around that had corrosive priming. I don't think that's too much of a problem these days, but a lot of that stuff had minimal markings on the boxes or cases, so it could be tricky figuring out just what you had (e.g. production dates, place of origin, etc.). I just prefer to steer clear of the "unknown quantity".

I do run a little Wolf, Bear, or Herter's through my SKS's and AK once in a while, and will use it in my Mosin, but that's about it. My higher-end guns will never experience it. :nono:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Even if you don't reload, you can still collect your brass, and sell/trade it to reloaders. It might not fetch you a lot (us reloaders are pretty frugal) but it might be enough to buy a box of ammo or so. Not too bad for just picking up after/while you shoot and throwing them in an old container.

I don't buy it because I reload my brass.
This. I'll use it in a pinch if I really don't have reasonable options. I avoid it since it's dirty ammo and I think the chances are higher of an over/under charged round. But still, the odds are low enough for me to use it if need be.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
I've shot a thousand rounds or so of Rooski 22 in most of my 22s over the years. It was way el cheapo at $10 per 500 in 1995. I still have 1000R of it.

I have a couple coffee cans full of brass and I don't reload. It must be the Pack rat in me.:blink:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The indoor range that I visit doesn't allow steel cased ammo, so I don't buy it.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Its great for shooting paper.... don't trust you life with it unless that's all you can find.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
12,068 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't shoot that russian steel case .40 or 9mm in my semi auto pistols. I don't have any issue with that steel case ammo in 7.62x39 with a AK47. It probably even prefers it.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I've always been told that steel cased ammo is hard on extractors. I generally don't use it.

Reactions: Cheesewiz

·
Registered
407 Posts
my s&w sigma shoots up steel casings with out a problem and so does my glocks. i try not to buy them but if theirs nothing else ill get em. and you should atleast try them to see what your gun will shoot up

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I've shot thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through my 9mms and 45ACP. My one and only squib came from Russian Steel cased ammo. The stuff isn't horrible but it isn't great. And don't believe the hype about it wearing on your extractor more.

·
Premium Member
6,583 Posts
...And don't believe the hype about it wearing on your extractor more.
It's not hype - it's physics. Not saying it's a major problem, but steel rubbing on steel will cause more wear than brass.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
I've shot thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through my 9mms and 45ACP. My one and only squib came from Russian Steel cased ammo. The stuff isn't horrible but it isn't great. And don't believe the hype about it wearing on your extractor more.
Did you even look at the article? or examine the chambers in the pictures?

This logic is like saying...I have been speeding my entire life, and I have never been pulled over.

·
Registered
45,369 Posts
The indoor range that I visit doesn't allow steel cased ammo, so I don't buy it.
That's because if mixed in with the brass cases they sell for scrap, it's considered "dirty" brass and gets a lower price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts