Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just decided to check out the Hi-Point Firearms Web Site. They are a maker located in Dayton, Ohio
Anybody Ever Own/See/Shoot One?
I had to go take a look because I could not believe that they were offering a full size polymer frame "Made In USA" firearm in .45acp & .40 S&W for the suggested retail price of $179.00 :eek: and with an unlimited lifetime warrenty yet!?!
They also offer a 9mm carbine for dirt cheap. It's strange looking though.
Their .45 seems a little large (to me) for concealed carry. Here is a photo.

Gosh...I can't even buy a doggone Colt slide (only) for $179.00 !!!
I might just hafta plunk down some pocket change & buy one of these odd looking beasts...just for the heckovit. Geesh...I would like to buy one just to take it apart on a Sunday night.
Here is the link to their site.
HI-POINT FIREARMS LINK - Click Here
As Usual...Comments always welcome.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
ive seen one handled one and was scared of it ... That being said i havnt shot one and seems those who actually plunk down there money like them.. Kind of like the sat night spiecal in 45 i think..

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha Saturday Night Special....45 ACP

Just wondering how they can put them out so cheap???
I'm guessing that finding a decent holster would be tough. :wink:
You would probably need to have a holster custom made.
Think about that for a minute....
Spending MORE $$ for your holster than for your .45 :smile:

·
Registered
484 Posts
The Hi Point is alloy/zinc construction, just like Davis and Jennings, but on amassive scale. The slide is so huge because it is a blowback design. They are not designed for pin point accuracy, or flawless functioning, but to give people with 0 dollars a way to get a major caliber firearm they can afford.
If you already have a carry gun, spend that 179 for a Makarov or Star BM. If you must have a Hi Point 45, go for it - the lifetime warentee does show how much the company stands behind thier products, much more than Davis or Jennings ever did....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have seen a few on our local range and they run a few rounds and then have some sort of failure. I will say they give the end-user a perfect opportunity to practice clearing and tactical mag changes. I would not spend my funds on one. That being my .o2.

QK, all the people that I have seen own these are gangster wannabe's (serious) they shoot them gangster style with the pistol at all weird angles. I do not know of a single dealership that is willing or even wants to deal with the clientele that this product would garner.

~A

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
ditto or even 1k rds of .45.

~A

Prospector said:
I would rather plink the $179 down on another good holster and a couple extra mags!

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't Take Too Much

to talk me out of buying one of those.
Now that you brought out the LOW-Points of the Hi-Points! :wink:
Oh...they are Zinc diecast and plastic?
Also known as "Pot Metal" :biggrin:
That sure explains a lot.
I would never buy any Zinc diecast pistol or revolver.
Too Dangerous. :vollkomme
The metal gets brittle after some?? number of years and then shatters like glass.
No Thanks...no Hi-Point for me.

·
Registered
484 Posts
QKShooter said:
to talk me out of buying one of those.
Now that you brought out the LOW-Points of the Hi-Points! :wink:
Oh...they are Zinc diecast and plastic?
Also known as "Pot Metal" :biggrin:
That sure explains a lot.
I would never buy any Zinc diecast pistol or revolver.
Too Dangerous. :vollkomme
The metal gets brittle after some?? number of years and then shatters like glass.
No Thanks...no Hi-Point for me.
Star BM, SA 1911 Commander sized clone in 9mm, for about $140 from places like J&G...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts