Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start hello everyone im new around here, in the coming weeks I plan to purchase a compact handgun and take my courses etc, im not to familiar with compacts

Primarily other than wanting a compact for concealment, I work in a suit, so im looking for something light weight that I wont have problems with, as for where the holster will be I originally wanted a inside belt holster, but realized thats not going to work for me, I need to be as low profile as I can get, so I was thinking a shoulder holster would work well as I don't button my suit top

Also im not to big a fan of s.o.b carry either.

So, that being said, sugguestions on what may work well for me are appreciated.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I know you said you wanted something light weight, but if you're going to use a shoulder holster, you can't go wrong with a 1911.

·
Premium Member
39,193 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
With a shoulder holster, you could not take off your jacket. With a tuckable inside the belt holster you could. It doesn't get much lower profile than tuckable IWB unless you go deep concealment like smartcarry or thunderwear.

·
Registered
156 Posts
With a shoulder holster, you could not take off your jacket. With a tuckable inside the belt holster you could. It doesn't get much lower profile than tuckable IWB unless you go deep concealment like smartcarry or thunderwear.

This. When I carry while wearing business attire, I carry a Springfield XDS in a Split Decision holster around the 8 o'clock(lefty) position. It is deep concealment that works well with a nice tucked in button down shirt and slacks. The gun virtually disappears.

Here is a link that'll give you a visual representation of how a tuckable holster looks/works.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/In_...osing_argument_review.html#ClosingAugmentDraw

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I carried a S&W M&P .40c tucked in an IWB CrossBreed Supertuck at my wedding in a suit. Nobody had any idea except the bride.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

Lightweight gun, look at a Kahr CW9. As to holster types, I'd still go with IWB, but get a tuckable one.

Reactions: SIGguy229

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This. When I carry while wearing business attire, I carry a Springfield XDS in a Split Decision holster around the 8 o'clock(lefty) position. It is deep concealment that works well with a nice tucked in button down shirt and slacks. The gun virtually disappears.

Here is a link that'll give you a visual representation of how a tuckable holster looks/works.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/In_...osing_argument_review.html#ClosingAugmentDraw
Thanks, I think that WILL actually work for me, I just didnt want something above the belt that would be way too noticeable, I think the 8 o'clock position with that would be perfect

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
For Sunday go-to- meetin' dress

Kahr PM9 and a FIST #K2 High Ride kydex holster. It is OWB, comfortable, and a very flat combination. Fist Holsters. I carry at 4:00 and this set-up conceals just as well or better than FIST's #1A IWB for the PM9.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
You DO NOT want a shoulder holster in Florida heat & humidity. And you're right, S.o.B. holsters (IMHO) are a bad idea for a whole variety of reasons. How big of a guy (or "gal", sorry) are you? I think the KAHR PM9 is good guidance, but pocket holster carry can work MUCH better in a suit than in jeans. That way, you can remove your coat with impunity.

Reactions: squid86

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I'd go tuckable IWB or possibly pocket holster if you get a gun small enough. If neither of those work for you, you can go the Sterling Archer method:

Cyril: "What's this"
Archer: "It's an underwear gun Cyril, don't make it weird"
Cyril: "Wow, it's...slippery..."

Cartoon Animated cartoon Footwear Games Illustration

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You DO NOT want a shoulder holster in Florida heat & humidity. And you're right, S.o.B. holsters (IMHO) are a bad idea for a whole variety of reasons. How big of a guy (or "gal", sorry) are you? I think the KAHR PM9 is good guidance, but pocket holster carry can work MUCH better in a suit than in jeans. That way, you can remove your coat with impunity.
Yea you're most likely right about the heat and humidty thing, especially in my case im one of those very hair people (obviously a guy :p ) im 5.7 200lb, after the research i've done i think im leaving toward one of the tuckable iwb's
and as for my handgun of choice im thinking the G26 gen 4 or a G36 , i know big difference, still havent really decided my calibery so those to models are up for debate, i think a pocket holster might be good for my days off , but the slacks i wear for work make just about anything in my pocket visible , however the IWB's i took time to look at REALLY hid the weapon well , so my mind is pretty much set from what i have seen , but i still have plenty of time to do more homework on the matter.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I wear suits almost daily when I am in court. My findings after years of trying various holsters is that a should rig works best. If you buy a nice quality shoulder holster, you will not even know you are wearing it.

BTW: My carry piece is a full size 1911.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
Do you ever take your jacket off? If so, a shoulder holster isn't the way to go. When I carry while wearing a suit I typically have to deep conceal. In those situations I carry a Kahr PM9 in a Pistol Wear holster at about 12:30 (AIWB). I can get to the gun going through 1 button. It isn't the fastest draw ever, but it is invisible for all intents and purposes and thus works for my situation.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Reactions: onacoma

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
My LCP,the 38 Bodyguard, LC9 all worked well with a suit

·
Registered
316 Posts
I always carry some kind of gun no matter what I wear but I have different size guns to choose from. Having only one gun is kind of like one pair of shoes. I use the billfold type holster for my smaller guns like KelTec P3AT or Sig P238. Jeans Belt Waist Abdomen Denim Handgun holster Starting pistol
For my larger guns I have found the Remora holster to be the best IWB holster for comfort and ease of use. There are a lot of reviews and videos on the Remora that you can check out before spending lots of money on holsters that you don't like. Handgun holster Gun accessory Starting pistol Revolver Airsoft gun

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the forum. May I suggest a Walther PPS carried IWB in a Comp-tec MTAC?
PPS | Walther Arms
Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster
Confirming Caertaker's suggestion- I use a Comp-tac holster. Mine is the CTAC- chosen for deep concealment. Get the moleskin for backing. Works great when I wear a suit to church on Sundays. I always have a shirt tucked over it and have never been "made".
Inside Waistband Holsters - products new home - C-TAC Holster
You can tuck your shirt in over the rig. Then you can get the velcro clip option- along with their gun belt with velcro backing. Then nothing would show outside of the belt.
I have standard clips on mine and carry at 9:00. Then I put my jumbo phone with belt clip also at 9:00. Works great for even more concealment.

·
Registered
618 Posts

I agree. A Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe or equivalent works great

·
Registered
844 Posts

This!!! I carry a 1911 (compact) in a tuckable holster (at my place of business) while wearing a suit. I can take off my jacket without revealing that I'm carrying. Get a good gun belt and a good tuckable holster.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts