Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now, most of us have heard of the 3-D printed gun that was fabricated by Cody Wilson. Pictures of it have been less than revealing other than to show that it was pretty ugly.

Here is a close up view of the parts. Have a look and educate yourselves. Apparently some enterprising individuals built one and smuggled one on a train somewhere in Europe. Now all of Europe is aghast as the fact that anyone could build one. The peasants think its a neat idea. The tyrants hate the thought of it and lose sleep over it. Its quite the sensation over there.

Now that you've seen it what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
350 Posts
That was my main concern. Semi-rapid fire would definitely take its toll on warping it. Not to say you couldn't make a metal barrel though....

·
Super Moderator
18,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The flange on the barrel slips down into the receiver. The bullet .(380) is placed in the barrel and fired.
Its a one shot proposition right now, but it will get better in the future.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts

I posted this already , but its worth a second look.

I would like to see how this develops. But i guess it's not BARRY'S junk Science of Climate Change. See he cant scam a couple of million towards it to get a kickback in campaign contributions.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Very interesting, I will be watching it's developement very closely

·
Registered
760 Posts
I thought it was more like a copy machine. I thought someone would place a Glock in it, the laser would scan it, and the machine would eject a perfectly identical Glock. That's how clueless I am when it comes to technology. Sad, isn't it?

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I always wondered what would happen if i put a 12 guage shell in my plastic Olin flare gun.

Edit, found the answer, note the failure photos

Flare Insert ? Any Other Weapon | ATF
That article is actually pretty interesting. I had no idea they even had "flare inserts".

I wonder why the creator of this 3-D gun chose a 380 round as opposed to a .32, or .25. I can see why he wouldn't want a rim-fire round due to the the crude firing pin. It will be very interesting to see where this goes. As much as I hate to say it this is not helping the current atmosphere surrounding guns. It's giving the mass population another thing to get hysterical about. As always a "person" is smart, "people" are dumb.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Comments...

The photo of the plastic gun disassembled was interesting, as were the photos of the modified plastic flare guns with barrel adapter to fire pistol ammunition. My comments are:

1. I wonder if the barrel is internally rifled, or is it a smooth bore? If it is smooth bore it wouldn't be very accurate.
2. The designer made the receiver portion very thick, as if he saw the photos of the flare guns that failed and noted that the failure was always a break in the receiver/grip part of the gun. The thick receiver would tend to prevent this failure mode.
3. The single shot gun looks sort of clunky and useless, except for the apparent ability to pass through a metal detector. But it would be visible as a distinctive outline in any type of scanner, I would think. So TSA would probably spot it in airline luggage if the human running the scanner was on the ball.
4. A single shot gun is of marginal value in threatening a group of people - those threatened would probably know that once you fired the single bullet you can be overpowered by the remaining people who were not hit by the bullet.
5. I'm sure the design will be improved over time to make the gun into a multiple shot weapon that can hold up to long term use. There would need to be testing to prove this out.
6. The outline of the object does look slightly like a pistol, given the grip and trigger. If you wanted to make it more undetectable, you would design it so that the outline didn't look like a gun but some harmless object that would fool the person doing a manual scan of luggage.

·
Registered
419 Posts
it would have ZERO ability to pass through a metal detector undetected because of the metal firing pin.. plus, I doubt TSA would allow you onto a plane with a pocket full of 380acp anyways.. which would ALSO set off a metal detector.

until it has a polymer firing pin, and shoots plastic bullets, it is still just as detectable as any other gun.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Regardless .... of whether it will be detectable or not, that it's only one shot, that lack of rifling may make it less than perfectly accurate for any distance .... regardless of anything about this gun you could find to knock: it's a heck of an engineering achievement for someone. The concept, design and prototyping that went into this is not your normal kick around the wood shed and make momma a new bookshelf that most of us weekend DIY'ers are capable of.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Now that you've seen it what are your thoughts?
My thought..I think it time to build one..

Reactions: bigmacque

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Here's a new market and opportunity:

Buy the printer, and sell the plastic and printer time to others that want to make their own. I doubt you could make one and sell it legally, but if someone comes to your house with the plastic and writes you a check (cash preferred) to use your printer, hey go for it buddy.

·
Administrator
143,715 Posts
It is pretty ingenious how he used the inherent properties of the plastic to fabricate those plastic springs.

My best guess is that now the manufacturers of the plastic raw material will be required to add some sort of inert metal powder into the plastic mix so that that any manufactured firearm will be easier to detect.

My second best guess is that the makers of future 3-D printers will be required to include a tamper proof computer program that will recognize anything that it reads as being a possible firearm and will automatically block that from being printed.

I believe that they did do that with these really high dollar full color copier/printers that recognize U.S. Currency and will not allow "same size" paper money to print.

Whatever Man can do ~ another Man can undo though but, you can bet that they are going to make printing guns more difficult for the average person.

A plastic ugly bulky gun is not something that floats my particular boat so I do not think I'll ever be buying a 3-D printer to print guns.

I like Steel and Titanium and Aircraft Grade Aluminum too much to want to invest any of my hard earned $$$ into plastic pistols.

·
Registered
941 Posts
This is not intended to be an effective self-defense weapon, but instead to demonstrate the feasibility of creating a firearm and then mass-distributing that ability. In effect, to demonstrate that the genie is out of the bottle and thus we need to address root causes of violence rather than feel-good gun control measures.

·
Super Moderator
18,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah its a single shot.

I doubt that the government really cares about single shots. No one in there right mind would use a single shot unless there were dire circumstances, like WW2 were the single shot "Liberators" were dropped from the skies all over Europe.

No, they weren't a battlefield weapon, they weren't designed to be. They were made to be easily concealed, and used to acquire a better weapon from an opposing troop.

This idea isn't about building a short range single shot weapon. This idea is about emerging technology of the sort that could literally change our lives, and the Federal Government is suppressing it. They don't want it out there.

For those that are missing the point, ask yourselves why the Federal Government would shut this down.

To me, that along says volumes about the state of affairs of this country.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts