Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I had been pocket carrying a G27 for a while at my place of business in Georgia while deciding the best way to carry concealed. Being that I am huge, 400lbs with a 60in waist, I did a LOT of research as to what would probably be the most comfortable and accessible IWB holster I could find. I finally decided on a Crossbreed Supertuck. I would like to share my experience so that if there are any other large people out there that have had difficulty finding a holster, this may give you assistance.

Despite my weight, I am still active so my time throughout the day is split between walking around my store helping customers and sitting at my work bench. Something a lot of skinny people don't realize is that when you are this fat, you expand when you sit down. This makes belts quite painful when seated so I needed to find something that would not need a tight gunbelt to support it. I have worn suspenders for years to keep my pants up. I wear them under my shirt though since they are not exactly fashionable but fortunately nobody knows they are there.

My Crossbreed Supertuck is horsehide since this is a very humid climate. So far it has held up well and my skin can breathe behind it. I did have to round off the backside edges of the entire perimeter as they felt rather sharp. This was accomplished with a little 320 grit sandpaper. Once I did this, I hardly noticed I was wearing it. I had originally hoped that the clips would hold onto my waistband enough so that I could do without the belt however this proved too saggy and I could not get a reliable draw. With the addition of a thick 62-64 size belt from Casual Male XL though, it now has enough support to stay in place. I can wear the belt loose and the suspenders take the role of supporting the weight while the belt provides a ridge for it to grab onto. I have done several hundred test draws and it is very consistant. I wear it at about 4 o'clock and it fits perfectly into the empty space of my office chair and truck seat.

One of the few benefits of this bulk is that everything falls in a way to provide perfect cover for it. It remains invisible even when twisting and turning and bending over. I spent Sunday afternoon around a bunch of cops and a superior court judge and if anyone noticed, they never said anything. I am extremely pleased with the outcome of this combination.

Side note: Currently carrying Winchester PDX1 165 GR. bonded JHP since nobody in town has any Speer Gold Dots in stock.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum! I am a big guy, not quite your size though and I find my MTAC very comfortable too. These are very close to each other in design. Glad you found something to solve your CCW problem.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome aboard! I've been touting the SuperTuck ever since I bought one a little over a year ago. I have the reverse of your problem: thin with bony hips. I was worried that any IWB was going to dig in no matter where I put it, but the ST has come closer to feeling nonexistant than any other holster I ever tried.

It's nice to hear that it works for the other end of the physique spectrum as well.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm afraid to even ask what Biomortis means? Anyhow, I guess I'm about average, 5'9", 206 lbs and 36" waist. I tried the Supertuck for my Kahr 9. Wore it once and didn't like it. Just didn't feel right. I'v always worn leather, VM-II, HBE, etc, so maybe it's just a leather thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome. I'm a big guy as well, 6'2" 325#. I recently started to carry. I tried a belly band first, but it needed a lot of adjustment during the day. I decided to get a 5-stitch Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt and an MTAC Minotaur holster based on reviews on this and another forum. This combo has worked very well for me. I too sometimes use the suspenders-under-the-shirt trick, but I haven't had to since the belt keeps the gun/holster securely on my hip.

Good luck finding the Gold Dots, that's what I carry and I'm always looking for more.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Auto - Heh, I've used Biomortis online for longer than I can remember. I just like the juxtaposition of the life and death latin roots together. Anyways, I too did not care for the Supertuck when I first put it on, and was growing to hate it after wearing it a day, until I rounded off those edges. The horsehide did have a sort of cardboard feel to it but that is changing the more I wear it as it continues to break in.

I would also like to say I got my Supertuck in about a week even though I was told a much longer shipping time plus Mark communicated with me prior to my purchase regarding concerns I had with belt vs. suspenders support. Very professional all around. I will definitely order again as my collection grows.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In one word...SuperTuck

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm starting to think it's going to get really expensive to try all of the different holsters I'm hearing about!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Supertuck is good but dont wear it much. I prefer my qwikclip. I have had to replace the clip on it 3 times. I think I wear it to much. I have had it for almost 5 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts