Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my friend Joe yesterday about defensive scenario's & he brought up a interesting idea. The basis of the scenario was a typical bg attempting to mugg me. now at this point he mentioned to comply with the bg's demands in which I would pull my wallet & toss away from my immediate vinicitity as to make a distraction & give me distance between the bg & myself. At that point I would have pulled my firearm & demanded that the bg stop! hands! hands! If he didn't comply & continued to move towards me I would be forced to neutralize the threat. Personally I believe it would be a effective way of handling the situation. hbu? what are you're thoughs on this matter?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the point is to make a effective distraction & distance myself from the bg, I don't know how nuts the said bg is as he could attemp to attack me so do you see my point now? on top of the fact I wouldn't want to have to take someone's life.

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
I was talking to my friend Joe yesterday about defensive scenario's & he brought up a interesting idea. The basis of the scenario was a typical bg attempting to mugg me. now at this point he mentioned to comply with the bg's demands in which I would pull my wallet & toss away from my immediate vinicitity as to make a distraction & give me distance between the bg & myself. At that point I would have pulled my firearm & demanded that the bg stop! hands! hands! If he didn't comply & continued to move towards me I would be forced to neutralize the threat. Personally I believe it would be a effective way of handling the situation. hbu? what are you're thoughs on this matter?
What is to prevent him from shooting you as you make demands? Action beats reaction every time.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is true depending on the weapon it changes the scenario immediately. Now assuming he has a gun he already has the drop on me so I'm at quite a disadvantage here. My options are limited at that point, in which a effective strategy would benefit in this situation.

·
Registered
18,803 Posts
There are a number of ways to deal with this scenario, each one specific to the circumstances with respect to distance, availability , opportunity, and skill.

Drawing against the drop, a technique developed by a distinguished member here is a very feasible tactic. Another tactic may be to close with the mugger in close combat grappling.

Still yet another technique may be a per positioned pocket gun where you keep your wallet.

This type of senario requires more than just thought. It requires practicing multiple techniques for this scenario until they are ingrained.

Notwithstanding doing nothing, the most dangerous thing you can do is get your mind stuck on a one technique solution, for as surely as you do, it will screw you in the end.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Scenarios are somewhat like budgets..... they work great on paper..... Just saying.........

·
Registered
701 Posts
This type of senario requires more than just thought. It requires practicing multiple techniques for this scenario until they are ingrained.
^This
What may seem like a good idea in thought might not work so well in reality. I would suggest practicing this scenario with your friend, see how he reacts when you toss a wallet, and practice drawing on him to see if it is plausable. Try other techniques. Just thinking about what you will do does not ingrain the muscle memory needed for you to react quick enough to be successful.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The best way to know if it works is to do it in a FOF scenario.

But if I was to be your BG in the scenario and you.....
now at this point he mentioned to comply with the bg's demands in which I would pull my wallet & toss away from my immediate vinicitity as to make a distraction & give me distance between the bg & myself.
.........I'd shoot you on the spot. But hey I'm a good guy at heart.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Go do this scenario in a defined force on force setting with experienced FoF actors as bad guys and see how well you do with all the stuff you are writing about doing.

See where you glitch under pressure. Then train that out over and over and over again.

Find what works for you under a MUCH more "real" active FoF situation than in front of a computer, relaxed, sitting and what iffing.

Good Fof uses people with lots of experience and defined bad guy intentions that they stick to.

You will find your own way and what works for you by doing this. The instructors will help with your tactics and running different derivations on your scenario...like say throwing your wallet which pisses the bad guy off who then starts shooting at you.....for example...and you are solidly behind the curve getting shot and having to fight even harder for your life....

Go over to the training board and ask members who does quality Fof in your area of Philly.

·
Registered
37,213 Posts
There is no one answer, what you suggest may work--or it may not. Any reaction has its risks.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Some people actually carry a 'fake' wallet with a couple dollars in it and inconsequential stuff to make it look like a wallet, then they throw that with their non-shooting hand.

But then I would do the following:
1. I'd throw the wallet away to the BG's rear quarter opposite the side that there is cover for me. So, if there is a car bumper to my right, I throw the wallet to his back right (or my far 10-11 O'clock). That way he has to turn away and take a step to retrieve it.

2. As I was beginning to deploy, I'd seek cover behind the car and/or acquire some distance. I'd want to move far enough away that it would me more difficult to rush me as I deployed, but stay in that short shooting range should I need to shoot.

3. I'd ascertain my backdrop as I faded back behind cover or concealment.

4. I would not use verbal commands, but get on target and if he advanced -perhaps- say 'stop or I'll shoot'. Perhaps not, depending on the circumstances, I may shoot immediately, especially if there was no cover.

5. Doing the above, I also get off the 'x', so I'm not where he expects when he turns around if he does.

FWIW

·
Registered
821 Posts
As I read through these situations and responses, it struck me just how fraught with options even this sorta simple event is.

If the guy is armed, give him what he wants and hope he leaves you alone? You aren't gonna draw on a guy already holding you at gunpoint, are you?

If he is not armed, are you gonna draw and shoot a guy over your wallet? Disparity of force (AOJ per Mas Ayoob) comes into play here, I'd think.

If you draw, call 911 and hold him? What if he "makes a move"? Sounds like he made his choice for you.

If others are around, you get them to call 911? If the guy takes off with you holding a gun, what if he calls cops and says some nut just pulled a gun on him?!

I'm sure there are many other variations. I wouldn't shoot someone over a robbery. I would if he had a weapon and I could get him before he got me. If he takes off I'd call 911 and give them a brief rundown and descriptions so I didn't get unwanted, incorrect "attention" from cops showing up at the scene. And on and on. This is really difficult and seemingly endless!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Oh, Iduuno... "wallet carry" can work and be EXTREMELY functional... even with a .32...even when "drawing against the drop."

Old story here...>>>LINK<<<

Distraction can work, too... but I'd make it appear as though your are flustered and fumble fingered as a result... not just look like your intentionally throwing the wallet away to distract him...

Me? My EDC is above my wallet IWB, usually not tucked... It looks like I'm going for the wallet... I'm going for the gun. And, as it clears, I'm off the x to make him try to track me...

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
The better ideas, IMO, are to toss a wallet (fake wallet with useless papers if you have it), and get off of the "x". Your degree of offense / defense (including simply running away) that follows is subject to training and opportunity (conditions). Best idea is to stay alert and off of the "x" in the first place.

Reactions: TVJ

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
This scenario is the main reason that I carry, and no one here has mentioned the lack of physical ability that I possess. I am 75 years old with rheumatoid arthritis, and a prosthetic leg. I do not move fast, and am not agile anymore. I have given thought to the fake wallet with a few bucks inside and some old outdated ID and credit cards. I have thought about pepper spray, but sometimes that only infuriates them and forces them to attack. And last but not least all of the above with the thought in mind that I cannot get away fast enough.

With that thought in mind is there anyone here that faces that problem ? Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If he is taking my wallet he must have a gun. In that case I am thinking of nothing but introducing him to my gold dots. In he scenario you describe my mind pictures a BG with a gun already pointed at me. At that point I can see trying to create a distraction somehow to give me time to pull my weapon since I obviously can't beat him to the draw at this point. However, if that were to happen I am not yelling hands,hands or anything else. BG has already proven he has no regard for my life. At that point he gets all the .40 gold dots I can give him until he is no longer a threat. All
That is hypothetical however...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts