Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this post Im going to talk about the police use of dogs to sniff for contraband such as drugs. If the police use a dog to sniff your car or bag or whatever, if the dog smells drugs I would think it would bark. That's how the dog will indicate that it smells drugs. If the dog doesn't bark that means it doesn't smell drugs, at least that's what I used to think.

The reason Im bringing this up is because there's been times when I've had my car searched when the police used dogs and claimed the dogs smelled drugs. In none of those cases have I ever had drugs and in none of those cases have the dogs barked. If the dog doesn't bark and they search your car anyway, claiming that the dog smelled drugs, is that justification for a warrantless search?

Also, if they search your car without a warrant and without your consent because they claim a dog has smelled drugs, and it turns out you don't have any drugs, can you take them to court?

·
Registered
37,053 Posts
Usually the dog does not bark but sits or some other response. I have little faith in the dog searches. Face it, the dog lives for its reward for finding something--a ball, a treat, something. They're not stupid; they learn, If I do this, I get my reward!

As for the legalities of dog-induced searches, they can and they will. IMO, the LEO should have justification for using the dog, not a blanket "keep fishing until you catch someone."

As for the dog supposedly alerting and nothing being found, I'd file a complaint asking that the dog be retrained or retired as it is ineffective.

My opinion.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
In this post Im going to talk about the police use of dogs to sniff for contraband such as drugs. If the police use a dog to sniff your car or bag or whatever, if the dog smells drugs I would think it would bark. That's how the dog will indicate that it smells drugs. If the dog doesn't bark that means it doesn't smell drugs, at least that's what I used to think.

The reason Im bringing this up is because there's been times when I've had my car searched when the police used dogs and claimed the dogs smelled drugs. In none of those cases have I ever had drugs and in none of those cases have the dogs barked. If the dog doesn't bark and they search your car anyway, claiming that the dog smelled drugs, is that justification for a warrantless search?

Also, if they search your car without a warrant and without your consent because they claim a dog has smelled drugs, and it turns out you don't have any drugs, can you take them to court?
Most dogs do not bark. They have a "tell" the handler can recognize, like sitting down when it smells drugs. Others will paw the place where it detects drugs. It varies depending on where and how the dog was trained.

In answer to the question directly, claiming the dog "hit" on drugs when it didn't is a clear violation of the 4th Amendment. Proving it is going to be tough, because the dog will often "hit" on drugs when they have been in the car, but are no longer there. They can also detect when someone who has used drugs has been in the car.

And it should be mentioned that some cops choose to be something less than who they should be and use the presence of the dog walking around the car to excuse an unconstitutional search. They get enough complaints and they get disciplined (sometimes). All it takes is one successful search though, and they're back in business.

Those are the officers who need to find a job driving a garbage truck. The easiest way to beat such illegal searches, assuming you have nothing to hide, is simply to consent to the search. If you run into a bad officer who plants evidence, you have a much worse problem than an illegal search.

·
Super Moderator
17,079 Posts
I have had dogs inspect my vehicles (gate entry) many times but all they did was wag their tails then go back to the handler. My only experience of having a dog alert happened many many years ago when I was still on C-141s. we were at Bangkok and started our pre-flight while the pilots and nav went in to file the flightplan. A little later the officers returned and Security Police showed with the K-9. The handler ran the dog through the airplane then around us and our bags with no reaction but as he and the and the K-9 were returning to their vehicle the K-9 started pawing at one of the traffic cones encircling the airplane, turning the cone over revealed a bag of what looked like pot. The handler called it in then ran the dog through and around our bags a few times with no reaction. Now by this time the Wing Commander, Chief of Maintenance, Security Police and numerous other brass were gathered around trying to figure what to do with us, as this is going on the handler started back toward his truck when he passed close to the airman who had been guarding the airplane when suddenly the dog stopped and started pawing his leg. He was searched then relived of his weapons, cuffed and taken away. After many apologies we were released and departed as quickly as we could.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I posted this before so for the sake of redundancy: I do not trust any LEO that brings in a K9 to search your car. They only do it because they got ticked when you refused a search.

LE pulls every trick in the book to keep you at the scene until a K9 can arrive. In many states, LE cannot detain you waiting for a K9 unless there are certain circumstances.

Yes, I have checked with my lawyer on this that specializes in defending people in these situations.

When this happened to me the LEO told he had to go back to his car to find my DL. Then after 5 minutes he found it. Then he said he left his pad in the vehicle and had to go back to get it to give me my ticket (I did deserve the ticket).

Lo and behold: K9 unit shows up then.

Do NOT trust the K9 unit. The K9 had a tell which was BS. The handlers know how to make them react.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
My son had a run in when he was in high school. They brought the dogs in to sniff lockers and backpacks while the kids were in class. The dog hit on my son's backpack. So the deputies pulled him out of class in front of all his classmates. When they searched his locker and backpack they found no drugs but did find a tennis ball. The handler used a tennis ball when playing with and exercising the dog. All they could figure out was that the dog hit on the tennis ball.

My son got a lot of suspicious looks from his classmates for a while after that.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
There are good and bad apples in every bunch. Generally attitude plays a part in leo decisions as well.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Wish I knew how to train a dog to do that. Back in the 70s and 80s a dog like that would come in right handy after a wild night of parties we had back then in “the good ol days” ~ nobody could remember where we put everything.

I believe they can do it, heck they can locate cancer on folks. They also can read our minds.

Dogs are really furry angels here to love and protect us, if they help police that is good. They help everybody, old people too.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Many moons ago, I bought a used car from a civilian while stationed at a base that had frequent random searches at the gates. First thing I did was go to the Provost Marshall, explained the situation, and requested a K9 search the car. At first they refused and it took some serious convincing to get them to agree. Sure enough, that dog hit on the car and started scratching at the carpet. It took some doing, but they found a couple of marijuana seeds embedded in the back seat carpet.

·
Registered
37,053 Posts
Wish I knew how to train a dog to do that. Back in the 70s and 80s a dog like that would come in right handy after a wild night of parties we had back then in “the good ol days” ~ nobody could remember where we put everything.

I believe they can do it, heck they can locate cancer on folks. They also can read our minds.

Dogs are really furry angels here to love and protect us, if they help police that is good. They help everybody, old people too.
They can also tell how much food is left on your plate even when they cannot see the plate.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Aimed at no one in particular...

I feel sorry for people who live in mortal fear of all police. In reality, they probably fear all forms of authority. That does lead to a question. Who exactly are they going to call when, God forbid, some day they actually need the police? A lawyer? A drug dealer? An armed robber? A politician? An ANTIFA mob? A terrorist? Ghostbusters?

Seems a terrible way to live, unless your lifestyle skirts a little too close to being illegal.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Aimed at no one in particular...

I feel sorry for people who live in mortal fear of all police. In reality, they probably fear all forms of authority. That does lead to a question. Who exactly are they going to call when, God forbid, some day they actually need the police? A lawyer? A drug dealer? An armed robber? A politician? An ANTIFA mob? A terrorist? Ghostbusters?

Seems a terrible way to live, unless your lifestyle skirts a little too close to being illegal.
This isn’t directed at anyone either;

Who do we call to police the police? I’m serious. Have said it here before, I was roughed up and sexually assaulted by 2 a-wipes in uniform when I was a young woman just for a traffic stop so who was I suppose to call?

I do not know anyone that is afraid of the police, and I know and like people of all walks of life including police. I don’t understand why anyone would be afraid of the police anymore than a hairdresser...well, a hairdresser could make your life much worse in a lot of ways lol.

Good police need to be respected, and children need to be taught to respect them AND to respect the hairdresser, the teachers, their nurses and such.

Maybe there wouldn’t be the riots in the streets if we did have someone to police the police? Just like folks get tired of politicians never getting convicted for doing wrong they also have the same issue with police that do wrong - they need to be accountable just like politicians not a one rule for thee and one for me.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,785 Posts
Man, I live a boring life. Never had a K9 search, never had a police search. Just a few speeding tickets.
I need to up my game I guess.
I have also had a very boring life for seventy-four years to date. I have never had a K9 search even with them in the same area as me many times. I have never had handcuffs on or been arrested. I have been stopped many times for speeding. All of my interactions with the police in the US and other countries have been very cordial except for one California Highway Patrol many years ago.

I was doing 70 mph in the center lane in a new 1967 Z-28 Camaro in a 70 mph zone and he was four or five car lengths behind me for several miles. I came up on a vehicle that was weaving around in the middle lane. I put on my turn signal, moved into the fast lane, and passed the guy. I signaled and moved back into the center lane and checked my speed at 70 mph. The CHP passed the other guy weaving around, came up fast directly behind me, and pulled me over.

He asked if I knew why he pulled me over and I replied that I didn't know. He said I got up to 72 mph when I passed the guy. I asked about the guy weaving around in the lane and he said he didn't see the guy weaving.

He asked for my driver's license, registration, and insurance. As I was getting my driver's license out, he saw my Navy ID and asked to see it too. He asked if my Navy ID was fake. I replied, "No, why?" He said "There is no way you are twenty-one and an E-6" I told him I had joined at seventeen. He said, "You must have a father who is an Admiral looking out for you." I replied, "My father is dead, but my mother prays for me." That is when he wrote the ticket for 72 in a 70.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Back on the topic of police K-9s alerting to drugs. During my career I served six years as a police K-9 handler. I and my K-9 were certified by wo national organizations on an annual and bi-annual basis (the North American Police Work Dog Association and The National Narcotic Detector Dog Association.) for a total of 9 evaluations during our six years. Never failed an evaluation.

IME Dogs are trained to alert in one of two ways "passive" in which they sit at the source of the odor and "aggressive" by scratching at the odor source, I never knew of one that barked at the odor source. (For obvious reasons a bomb dog is trained to passive alert!) Dogs will "cheat" to get their reward. That's why we had two training days a month, running the dogs on actual drugs and blank or no drug locations to keep them honest. A reward is given if they detect the drugs, withheld if they give a false alert on a no drugs location. This reduces their incentive to cheat. (kinda like people huh?) In addition dogs give off pre-alert "cues" that the handler watches for during an actual sweep prior to an actual alert. Absence of these cues should cause the handler to be aware of a possible false alert by the dog.

Now, with that said: Integrity is everything in law enforcement. An officer who will knowingly fabricate probable cause, whether it be from the use of a K-9 detector dog or lying about evidence or his/her observations should be fired as a minimum and/or prosecuted as appropriate. Throughout my career I remained keenly aware that a law enforcement officer held the power to imprison or even kill his fellow man based upon his word or decisions, that is nothing to be taken lightly or ever abused. As a supervisor I tried to deeply instill this in my officers.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Since you bring up calling the police, why don't you get your cop friends to help you with your trespassing problem?

After all they willingly take your tax dollars for their salary.

You defend them incessantly, yet they have no mandate to do anything for you.

They are great at writing traffic tickets and also for showing up after the fact to take reports that get filed away.

Get them to help you with your current problem. You shouldn't have to spend anymore of your money to solve your problem.
So you really enjoy bashing police then?

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
@ Lima Charlie

That is when he wrote the ticket for 72 in a 70.

I would have taken it to court revealing the TRUE Barney Fife JMO ; )
H/D

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
This isn’t directed at anyone either;

Who do we call to police the police? I’m serious. Have said it here before, I was roughed up and sexually assaulted by 2 a-wipes in uniform when I was a young woman just for a traffic stop so who was I suppose to call?

I do not know anyone that is afraid of the police, and I know and like people of all walks of life including police. I don’t understand why anyone would be afraid of the police anymore than a hairdresser...well, a hairdresser could make your life much worse in a lot of ways lol.

Good police need to be respected, and children need to be taught to respect them AND to respect the hairdresser, the teachers, their nurses and such.

Maybe there wouldn’t be the riots in the streets if we did have someone to police the police? Just like folks get tired of politicians never getting convicted for doing wrong they also have the same issue with police that do wrong - they need to be accountable just like politicians not a one rule for thee and one for me.
Two thoughts here.

Did you report what happened to you? You can you know. Just call the administrative number and ask for Internal Affairs. That is precisely why they are there. If you don't call, no one knows but you and the bad actors.

With all that is going on, why would you think they're not held accountable? In truth, they have always been held accountable - IF people report it when they do something they feel is wrong. Failing that, no one knows about the bad actors.

See the pattern here?

·
Super Moderator
23,744 Posts
We had a BIL with a Lab that had been trained as a drug dog, but failed advanced training. He ended up with my BIL as a professional therapy dog with my BIL working with troubled youth.

We told our kids the dog STILL worked as a drug dog. 😂😂😂

1 - 20 of 24 Posts