Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been needing a nice fixed blade knife for some time. It's mainly to go into my SAR / BOB bag, but I've been unable to find out what I wanted. I'm in my buddy's shop the other day, looking at some of the new stuff he's got in (he deals in Fire / Police / EMS uniforms and equipment and such) and he's got a nice new Kabar knife, or several actually. I finally decide I want the little one, and for the price he was asking, I couldn't turn him down. So I'm happy with it. A few pictures for you guys, so you don't yell at me!!!

Just the knife and it's sheath. I'm not crazy about the sheath included, and might be upgrading to a custom kydex, but I'm not sure.

My USPc and mag, as well as a Surefire light and my daily carry benchmade knife. All this stuff would be in the BOB.

Same stuff as above, just a different view.

And another.

And the last one.

What do you guys think?

--Jim

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
KaBar & HK...how can you go wrong?:hand10:

What is the advantage (if any) of the tanto style knife blade?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TA,

I'm not sure if there is one. Actually, I wanted the more natural design, and a half serration, but he had that one in stock, and you can't get a half seration on the mini kabar... so...I got what he had. I'm sure in the future I'll be buying a new fixed blade, but this will handle my needs for now.

--Jim

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The Tanto blade was created in Japan. It was designed to defeat samuri armor, I believe. The tanto style blade would be a great defensive knife.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I believe the tanto point is better for penetration. Nice looking combo of items.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
advantages of tanto points

Team American said:
KaBar & HK...how can you go wrong?:hand10:

What is the advantage (if any) of the tanto style knife blade?

the only real advantage of 'tanto' style knives are their ability to penetrate hard and soft targets while minimizing point damage. if you had to put the knife through a steel drum, it's better to have a 'tanto' point than, say, a clip point. other than that, there is no advantage. there are more drawbacks to having a 'tanto' knife than advantages. the shape pretty much disqualifies them from being multitasking.

·
Super Moderator
13,535 Posts
rocky said:
I believe the tanto point is better for penetration. Nice looking combo of items.
That's my impression.

And great pics! Not just because of the "subjects", but nice work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts