Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is my anniversary.

I was moments ago in my bedroom swapping out of my normal street clothing and carry gear as into a date outfit.

As I was doing so I thought of how much it is a PITN to dress around my carry gear.

I do this every day and have been so for many years having it down to a science, but still...It's annoying.

So anyway I throw on a dress slacks, an a-shirt undershirt, a long sleeve t-under that (I'm in MA...layers is the rule here), and my belt.
I attach my IWB holstered Colt Defender as with a flush to the frame fit 6 rd. magazine. Add to my weak side a leather low profile mag holder with 10 rd. mag.

Then I stand there for a moment thinking to myself...

"It sure would be nice if I could just put on a dress shirt and open carry without fear of police or public frown."

:|

I normally give no thought to OC but tonight it would be nice.
We plan to go to a local restaurant to eat a dinner alone, no kids, and try to pretend like we're not tired.
Even as the facility does serve alcohol I as per my usual will not have any interest in drinking. She doesn't drink at all.

Afterward we would go for a walk through town along the main drag and then I'd drive us home.

It sure would be nice just to have the option, the choice.

- Janq is waiting on the babysitter who is late

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Your right, it is a nice option to have available to you, even if not practiced often.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Happy anniversary!
You're right...it would be nice wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
As I was doing so I thought of how much it is a PITN to dress around my carry gear.
I do this every day... having it down to a science, but still...It's annoying.
"It sure would be nice if I could just put on a dress shirt and open carry without fear of police or public frown."
and try to pretend like we're not tired.
(good description)

It sure would be nice just to have the option, the choice.
I know those feelings.

Happy anniversary. :bier: (<---water, soda, or coffee :smile:)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Janq, Congratulations to you and your wife, hope you have a great time.

I know how you feel, it would be great to strap on and not have to worry about cover garments.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Congrats to you and the Mrs.:congrats::congrats::congrats:
How many years?:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Congrats on the anniversary... :congrats:

Yup, it would be nice to have that option...

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Happy anniversary!!!!!! If your anniversary were a caliber, how many years together, 9-mm, 10-mm, 22, 40, ok what is it.????

Hope for many more.

Z

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
:congrats: Happy A-Day!

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all.

Funny thing happened while out after dinner.
We were walking along Main Street and literally walked smack dab into a HS homecoming parade!

It was pretty awesome.

We just happened to be standing across from the City Hall building as the parade was approaching lead by a city police car to clear traffic flow.
I told my wife hey lets cross to the other side of the road to get a better view and so we were standing directly at the front steps of City Hall.

Unbeknown to us that was the parades destination point! :lol:

The police follow by three floats full of students followed by a HS band and a whole mass of walking followers along spilled onto the stars of City Hall as immediately around us. We were surrounded by cops, kids and their parents.
Way fun to observe and become a part of as they cheered.

There I stood fully concealed.

We crossed back over Main and went to get coffees at a shop then went back outside to continue watching.
As we stood there a woman I have not seen in two years who was director of a non-profit organization in VA that I used to volunteer toward & support walked out of a clothing shop directly behind us. To see what the commotion was, only to find my wife and I standing there.
She has been in town for a business conference at a local college since Wed. and had conteacted me per her usual to let me know she would be visiting and to see about getting together Friday toward brunch or dinner. We'd been going back and forth by e-mail and had not seen each other as yet. She walked out and recognized us right off, as in the dark by way of street lighting. Hilarious. She wound up inviting herself over to my place tomorrow evening for dinner.
She has no idea and never has that I carry muchless do any of the other items as in my personal life in relation to support of 2A items.
For all I know she may be same. She'll find out tomorrow though as my home has gun mags, hunting & trapping books, and all manner of associated stuff around the house. And my kids, which she hasn't seen since they were infants, run around the house wearing S&W branded camo styled hats which they love.

Driving home I thought over this as related to carry.

Had I been carrying openly imagine the drama I'd have found myself caught up in upon being mixed in with those HS kids. Again completely happenstance as neither of us had any idea this would be going on. It was in a town we don't even live in.
An item such as that would definitely be picked up byt the full state as well as national media and no doubt the circumstances twisted to make it seem like I were some sort of block head 'gun nut'.

Further if my former colleague from VA had known I was carrying a gun, spare ammo, a can of CN/CS...and a large folding combat knife as secreted into my rear pocket purposely attached by the clip to the fold of the wallet. Geez I'd never ever live that down. That I'm confident of.
She's now working as director of a for profit think tank based out of CA.

Funny how life can go and events can turn out.

As to my anniversary it's a dual item...

We met at a Halloween party as on the 29th, a period of time ago that equates to a .17 HMR.
We've been a couple ever since that night (and as through that entire weekend to which ever since we have celebrated our anniversary over the course of a 3 day period.

We got married this evening also on the 29th. It was a Saturday evening at dusk. Beautiful weather and unseasonably warm with clear skies.
That was long enough ago that for carry I'd be wearing rather than my Colt Defender a Colt Delta Elite.

At the end of the night it turns out that in the oddest of circumstance way, it was a good thing that open carry is not lawful here as otherwise I'd likely have been shot in the foot. :|

- Janq

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, I'm glad your evening turned out well! Congrats on the anniversary and interesting evening considering the H.S. home coming lol -- good thing you weren't OCing.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Sounds like you had a very interesting anniversary Janq. Glad you had fun, tell the wife congrats on the anniversary for us. (my wife and I just celebrated our 20th in August, we met on a blind date that neither of us knew was a blind date)

Open carry is a great option to have and I am sorry everyone doesn't have it. But I can see how it would have worked against you that night.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Janq... My wife and I met at an (EMS) Halloween Party too! 1983!

Congrats again on your anniversary!

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Congratulations!

Come back to VA where not only is OC a right at dinner, it is a mandate!

The wife and I have OCed for semi-formal dates. Isn't that cool?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts