Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was slightly amused at a local gun store today. As some of you may know from another thread, I carry a g19 IWB in an uncle mikes holster. It is there all the time. I am on the market for a better quality ride for my gun, probably crossbreed or MTAC, but I do keep my eyes open at the local stores just in case I find something nice.
I had taken my wife into this particular shop to check out a revolver for her to carry, and on my way out I noticed some generic IWB leather holsters for glocks. I asked "Have you got any leather IWB holsters specifically for glocks?" He responded with "We got that Fobus over there." Hmmmm..... "IWB?" I say. He responds with "Yeah, but the gun is on the outside. Glocks are too big to carry IWB unless you wear really baggy pants." I, whilst mine was resting at 4 o'clock in my briches, just smiled and said "No, no...they definately aren't too big!"
It just struck me as odd and amusing. It's almost like since he didn't have the holster I needed, he wanted to make me feel like my request was silly. But the funniest thing is, I'm pretty sure one of his employees carries a glock IWB.
Sorry for the pointless story, I just thought it may get a laugh.

·
Registered
866 Posts
This sounds like some of the stores I have been to up here in AK.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Sometimes I think some people talk just to burn more oxygen and deplete the earth's supply. That's just me and my twisted mind again. More than likely I would have gotten a chuckle out of it. I realize some gun store employees are just like any retail business, and expanded knowledge of the business is not always necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
You talked to someone who does not know that there is better holsters out there than Fobus or UMs. :aargh4:

Lots of good holsters out there to make IWB comfortable for a mid size gun like a G19. Heck I have carried a 4" K-frame IWB with no problem. :bier:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I know whatcha ya mean. I carry my G26 in a modified bellyband at the 4:00 all day long and have no problems at all. Some of the retailers seem to think they have the upper hand on their patrons when it comes to concealed carry and firearms knowledge. Truth be known, they're behind in most cases.:hand5:

GBK

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I know whatcha ya mean. I carry my G26 in a modified bellyband at the 4:00 all day long and have no problems at all. Some of the retailers seem to think they have the upper hand on their patrons when it comes to concealed carry and firearms knowledge. Truth be known, they're behind in most cases.:hand5:

GBK
You are right on the mark here.....I am not saying I know a lot but I do read, and I do practise what I preach and am always on the lookout for more info, love to learn new and different things, not at all against finding alternative opinions...but a few of my LGS's have the guys working there who are just retail clerks, with little or no knowledge, nothing more or less and dont know squat, but will surely profess their genious to anyone who will listen. It means nothing to me, but I worry about the "newbie" who goes in there looking for good advice and doesnt get it.

It is why I may go to those stores, but never buy, I only buy from the ones who treat me fairly and who I think can help with their knowledge base and who I think most of all, are truly open minded and helpful to not just me but to strangers too.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Good sales people are very hard to come by in any industry. Why should gun stores be any different? I also worry about the neophytes. Not so long ago I could have been the one given bad information - and I was on several occasions.

Live and learn. And I do mean learn!

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
AH YES,the old I work in a gun store,I'm an expert sales clerk,but have 0 experience about what I purvey to know

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
People are idiots....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lots of great holsters out there for IWB. I carry a G22 with a clip all day long no trouble. As for the sale guy, ( He's an idiot And I think I know him ) Will did he move from Minnesota to Kentucky???

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I find that really funny, currently carrying myself either a Sig P220, or now a K frame S&W revolver. Both IWB, although the Sig sometimes in OWB

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Like I've said before... working in a gun shop doesn't make you a gun expert and more than going to Mc Donald's makes you a Big Mac! :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
I support two gun shops, one more than the other because of distance.
Now the owner of the shop I frequent is a female who 'knows her stuff', but I listen to some of the other sales people and just laugh inside...some of them haven't got a clue.:blink:

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I guess I’m lucky in that my local shop owner is a professional and his employees, more times than not, do not push their personal opinions. His staff has an extremely low turnover rate. So far, I've haven't seen another gun shop quite like this one. BTW: I also like Milt Sparks holsters, despite the wait.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I think that he was trying to make a sale for a quick commission. Good that you knew better.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lots of great holsters out there for IWB. I carry a G22 with a clip all day long no trouble. As for the sale guy, ( He's an idiot And I think I know him ) Will did he move from Minnesota to Kentucky???
????

·
Registered
460 Posts
I hear yah. An internet marvel says that the XD is too big for IWB too. I guess it is easy to talk of what one does not know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts