Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved to a new area and I would like to get a firearm for at home protection. I never used guns much before and it will be the first gun I buy. I read this Glock 19 review and I like how it sounds I I like the price.

Would there be better choices around the same price point because I don't want to spend too much.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Howdy from Texas, where the west begins. Welcome
Come on in and sit a spell.
Most will tell you to rent a few and see what you like and shoot best.
If you want a Glock then the G19 is a good choice, mags are cheap and there are many aftermarket parts and accessories.
If your goal is home protection, you might want to consider a full size.

My nightstand pistol is my Ruger SR9C, I just like it better. Again, personal preference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I strongly recommend trying out the G19 before purchasing it. Not because it's a bad gun, far from it. But guns are very much based out of personal preference. What works for me or you, may not work for many others. There's several popular/well received guns that aren't bad, but that I can't stand, just out of personal preference. Maybe you won't like Glocks, maybe just not the G19 specifically, maybe not the caliber, who knows?

If you do end up liking it, perfect, but if you hate it, you'll be grateful you didn't shell out a few hundred sight unseen.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Glock 19.

Reactions: drift

·
Registered
522 Posts
Home protection - nothing beats a tactical (semi-auto) shotgun. Why bring a peashooter to a fight when you can bring a cannon?

I'm not saying don't have a glock or a whatever. I am saying that the ability of any hand gun to stop a bad guy is a fraction of what a shotgun will do at short range.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hello Diggle and welcome to the forum. In answer to your question, there are hundreds of firearms that would be adequate to excellent for the purpose of home protection. Accordingly, you would do well (as the first order of business) to find yourself a well respected local gun store/range in Denver where you can handle and test a wide variety of candidates for the job. It won't take long before you find the right one for you to start with (likely many more to come :yup:).

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Welcome aboard. It is very clear that you're a true novice to the world of firearms, specifically handguns. Therefore, it would be seriously in your best interests to not just rush in and buy something with little knowledge. Spend a bit of time and make the effort to acquire enough information and knowledge to enable you to talk the language of guns, have a solid and basic understanding of terminology, how they operate, calibers and loads, and what is generally out there. Without this basic knowledge, you will be a prime candidate for mistakes and frankly a lot of BS from people who work at gun shops, gun shows, and the internet.

Knowledge, both intuitive and factual, is your friend. And information is your fuel. Learn to apply both. And besides, it's fun.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Your going to get a huge variety of answers based on individual opinions and circumstances. I prefer a 38/357 revolver stoked with 38+P for home defense because a long gun is an awkward two handed affair in my small house and my wife hates autos and I know she can shoot the revolver very well. Can everyone that may need to use it in your home use it well? I have several revolvers stashed in my house and if they sit there for years I know they will fire when needed with zero maintenance which may or may not be a consideration for you. More to consider than just a gun model in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If the gun is going to be used exclusively for home defense then there are better options. But if plan on carrying the pistol and can't afford more then one gun the G19 is a hard gun to beat.

You will hear it over and over that utilizing a long gun (shotgun or rifle) is a better option for defensive use over a pistol and this is true. That being said I wouldn't worry about the G19 effectively protecting your home.

There are a lot of competitive options out there that will serve you just as well as a G19, but non better in the same class of pistol. The gun is not as easy to conceal as some claim it to be, but it's obviously doable because thousands do it everyday.

If you get a G19, consider some night sights and weapon mounted light. And most importantly practice practice practice!!! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
For gosh sakes get training and shoot shoot shoot a lot of handguns with right training and clean them if you can ...DOnt just ask us what gun to buy ..

Trust me getting a gun that works for you is something only you can do ..At most we can tell you dont buy that gun it has this know issues ...

Some people love the 1911 some love the glock me I like the sig legion line etc etc

Dont get a micro or pocket gun for your first gun they kick very hard and will take longer to learn imop ..Get compact or full size then go from there ..... Pocket 38 are hard kicking guns often

Ditto a shotgun it takes time to learn it ie it is not a pull trigger bad guys go by gun ...And a pump will take some skill to learn how to use and handel so you dont short stroke it etc etc

And look at getting a CWP while you are at it ..In CO it is easy to get and you skip the 3 day wait on a handgun with one ..Plus it will be easier to transport the gun etc .Just make sure you get good training the ccw course is pretty basic just making sure you can hit something at 15 yards kind of stuff not all that hard to do

And note that Denver has it own silly set of guns laws on open carry and such ...And CO is at 15 round limit ...Now how many follow that not many at all but that it just one think to bear in mind when getting a gun the mag ban

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
I'd say something like that - a striker-fired 9mm - is a great first gun. You can also look at a Smith & Wesson M&P 9, a Springfield Armory XD9, a Ruger SR9, and a Sig P320 in 9mm. All are very similar, high quality and in the same price range.

A lot of people like shotguns for home defense, and they're great for that, but I wouldn't recommend one as a one-and-only HD gun. If for some reason you have to move around the house, a pistol is a lot easier to move with, to open doors and flip light switches while holding, and harder for a bad guy to get hold of and take away if he surprises you. Also, for a first gun, it's got significant recoil and ammo is fairly expensive, so practice is more difficult.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You have gotten many good opinions.
Which is right for you?
Example your fast a sleep some one breaks in how long till you can reach your weapon?
Shot gun in the closet?
Gun in a drawer under socks,underwear,what ever.
I keep a 9mm semi attached to a magnet which is screwed into a wooden dresser it's in my hand a hell of a lot faster then the two examples above.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Diggle, Welcome aboard. I suggest you rent a gun or two before you buy. I would suggest you go to Blue Core Shooting Center. They rent guns and have classes. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable. They are on Jewell west of Wadsworth in Lakewood. There are on or two other places but their names escape me right now.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just want to add as a foot note, of the two shotguns, pump and semi, I prefer the semi. All you have to do is pull the trigger. In a panic situation that might be all you can do.

Also, my semi shotgun is a mossberg SA-20, 20gau (and not the one in the video). With the 20, my wife who can't shoot a pistol due to arthritis, ably handles the SA-20. The gun in the video is a 12 ga and packs a whollip.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
For a strictly home gun, bigger is better. A bigger gun is easier to grip, they have bigger and better sights, and the longer barrel gives you a better sight plane.[ the longer the sight plane, the less aiming error.] It's only when you add in the extra problems of concealing the gun that small size becomes an attractive attribute.
My home defense guns have a 5"barrel, enough grip for a two handed grip, and sights that I can see in dimmer light. but they are bigger than I'd want to carry every day. So my Every Day Carry [EDC] has a 3.5"barrel, a grip that I can get three fingers on, and sights that won't snag when pulling them out of a pocket. They are two different tools for two different jobs. Good Luck DR

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
The only reason to have a handgun for home defense is to fight your way to your long gun (shotgun or carbine). Yet I f you're new at acquiring firearms, you can start...from either direction. :yup:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Depends on what your home is made of, my flamethrower is my first choice. Covers more area and eliminates blood splatter cleanup. :firedevil:

But seriously, take your time with all the good advice here. Consider getting a dog. Man's best friend for many reasons. The greatest home protection while you are there or away. My gun is my second line of home protection. I do not want to use it unless the bad guy gets past my dog.

Warm greetings from The Great State of Texas. Welcome to D.C.com. Where the majority of its members strongly believe in the 2nd Amendment and doing away with the infringements recklessly tied to it through history.

Texas, One of eight States refusing to label it's college campuses, "Gun Free Zones." One of the few areas of our Nation which continues to allow it's gun owner's to carry more than an empty gun and one bullet in their pocket. In Texas, it is an everyday occurrence to see a horse tied to a post downtown with the owners loaded long gun hanging off the saddle and no one will touch it, other than it's owner. Okay, obviously one of the above three statements referring to Texas is not exactly true any longer.

Enjoy your time at D.C. .com. You are among good people here.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.