Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Decent article....sooner or later journalists are going to have to write the truth because there are 10,000 journalists who all write the same garbage and people get sick of simply reading "another article about gun control". Sooner or later even liberals..(some liberals) will begin to understand that the Democrats can't protect them against terrorism. I believe it will take a huge horrific attack where guns are not used to wake a lot of them up. Then they will realize that the FBI really can't handle a war on terror and that Barack Obama has allowed this war to come here and play out on the streets of America. We have never been faced with this before as a nation and it is beyond a law enforcement issue. Gun control is simply a liberal power grab that they are using these attacks to scare the public into thinking NICS will stop ISIS. This is so beyond reality it's ridiculous.

Meanwhile gun sales and CCW permit applications continue to increase.....many people are getting the picture. Help is only 180 minutes away

here is some proof: http://tomnichols.net/blog/2011/10/07/harvard-wants-conservatives/

Reactions: Gabill and gowie2

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's nice for once. Some factual ( or at least close to ) reporting. All it would take would be a couple of mainstream journalists to report the truth. But as we all know that will probably never happen. Let's face it the media controls how the majority thinks. if the media got together and said tomatoes were the number one cause of cancer it would not matter that it was a load of garbage wouldn't be long before they can be calling for a ban on tomatoes . The fact that most gun owners are law-abiding citizens's and don't commit violent acts against others doesn't get published. It doesn't sell copy . Not profitable . If Hillary thought advocating the second amendment would guarantee her election she would be the first one handing out handguns at pep rally's . Maybe I'm over exaggerating a bit but I think most of you folks will get my point . I for one don't blame the mass populous for their ignorance. When the media takes one incident about one lunatic with one gun and constantly uses it to bad mouth guns or one specific type of gun as being evil the average ignorant ( and when I say ignorant I don't mean it disparagingly I mean someone that doesn't know, never been exposed to guns, only heard how bad they are , How only bad people on them ) most peoplewhen they hear those things often enough right or wrong they tend to believe it . Because they don't know any better . We all know that most people are sheep and they are going to follow each other to the slaughter. Stead of more gun control laws how about we in act a law that requires every journalist to report events factually in an unbiased report showing both sides of any given situation . If they fail to follow those rules subject them to prison time. Yeah I know fat chance of that happening. Sometimes it's nice to dream though

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
It's from the Huff, wait for followup articles as Storm said. I would have a very difficult time believing they will stay on point for the whole series. The followup summary will be especially interesting.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's nice for once. Some factual ( or at least close to ) reporting. All it would take would be a couple of mainstream journalists to report the truth. But as we all know that will probably never happen. Let's face it the media controls how the majority thinks. if the media got together and said tomatoes were the number one cause of cancer it would not matter that it was a load of garbage wouldn't be long before they can be calling for a ban on tomatoes . The fact that most gun owners are law-abiding citizens's and don't commit violent acts against others doesn't get published. It doesn't sell copy . Not profitable . If Hillary thought advocating the second amendment would guarantee her election she would be the first one handing out handguns at pep rally's . Maybe I'm over exaggerating a bit but I think most of you folks will get my point . I for one don't blame the mass populous for their ignorance. When the media takes one incident about one lunatic with one gun and constantly uses it to bad mouth guns or one specific type of gun as being evil the average ignorant ( and when I say ignorant I don't mean it disparagingly I mean someone that doesn't know, never been exposed to guns, only heard how bad they are , How only bad people on them ) most peoplewhen they hear those things often enough right or wrong they tend to believe it . Because they don't know any better . We all know that most people are sheep and they are going to follow each other to the slaughter. Stead of more gun control laws how about we in act a law that requires every journalist to report events factually in an unbiased report showing both sides of any given situation . If they fail to follow those rules subject them to prison time. Yeah I know fat chance of that happening. Sometimes it's nice to dream though

I understand. Ignorance is "lack of knowledge", and can be fixed, but only if the ignorant are willing to reducee their level of ignorance. Sadly, too many people don't want to take the time to actually think.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Ignorance can be fixed. Most hoplophobes are either stupid or willfully ignorant, and I'm not sure which is worse. One means they can't learn anything new and the other means they won't learn anything new because the truth is anathema to their ideology. The willingly ignorant are moral narcissists. Outcomes don't matter. Being seen as having good intentions is everything.

·
Registered
712 Posts

I understand. Ignorance is "lack of knowledge", and can be fixed, but only if the ignorant are willing to reducee their level of ignorance. Sadly, too many people don't want to take the time to actually think.
Sadly you can be so right. People like that on both sides. But if we can educate those that are willing maybe there could be a glimmer of hope.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If commonsense reforms to American gun laws are to have any chance, thoughtful gun owners need to be treated with more respect – and split from the fundamentalist leaders of the NRA
I started reading the article, and was on board until the last sentence of the opening tag:

– and split from the fundamentalist leaders of the NRA
The article was fair as far as it goes, but the way this is structured, the only thing that will probably come through to the average leftist reader is the echoes of the opening implication that the NRA is the "evil gun lobby" with "fundamentalist leaders" and SOME of their members might not actually be crazy. If they would have left out that line, I would call it a fair piece. This line is an overt attempt, though, to color the thought analysis of the reader for everything that follows.

So I'll reserve judgment until I see where they go with it. No matter how hard they "try to be fair", they just can't manage it without the editorializing. Sad.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
OP Please post the next in the series. I follow plenty of media sites, but Guardian.com is not one of them. I want to see where this goes.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Nothing particularly nice about the article and I am pretty sure you won't like where it goes from here. Of course the article is the voice of reason if you compare it to the reader comments. As a banned member (not for breaking the rules but I upset several of the regulars because I would not give up) of their forum from a good while back I would bet money this article rapidly sinks into the sewer. The people who dwell there will see to it.

I find it funny that the quote on that liberal forum about LaPierre flys in the face of what many on this board seem to think of him. Here is the quote I refer to:

"Approaching the most ardent second amendment advocates in America one by one, it’s clear that not everyone conforms to the implacable stereotype embodied by NRA leader Wayne LaPierre, whose dogmatic stance and hectoring tone define an organization that claims more than five million members."

This author has never really met someone with a "dogmatic stance and hectoring tone" if he thinks Wayne is the best we have. Heck I am more dogmatic and hectoring than Wayne and I am an amateur compared to many on this forum. If he really wants to meet an "implacable" defender of the 2nd Amendment he should call, I can give him directions.

Second thought, if I send him to Kentucky we would probably never see him again. :comeandgetsome:

Reactions: GraySkies
1 - 11 of 11 Posts