Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Good reminder for sure !! Muscle memory via sound training and practice repetitions are key......

Reactions: addywon

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Early on when I started carrying, I had my finger get caught between the trigger and the holster when I was inserting the pistol. My finger was not inside the guard originally, but the end of my finger hit the holster and swung inward instead of outward. I didn't put a lot of pressure on the trigger before I stopped, so I don't know if it would have fired if I had not had the thumb safety on. I doubt it.

I now splay my fingers outward and only push the gun in with the heel of my hand once the slide starts down into the holster.

Because of my experience, I do understand how this can happen.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
It's easy to get distracted while performing a routine function.

·
Banned
216 Posts
One of the reasons I like hammer-fired guns. I got accustomed to pressing the gun (in my case, usually a revolver) into the holster with my thumb pressing against the hammer. Not only does it give warning, but it makes it hard for me to accidentally have my finger on the trigger, and it greatly increases the pressure needed to pull the trigger. I own a Shield, but I find I just don't feel comfortable with the striker system. Yes, I know millions carry them safely. But I like "thumb against the hammer" when holstering, and not having a hammer feels weird to me.

Of course, a lot of folks have hammer-fired guns and don't put their thumbs against the hammer when holstering. Then it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have a buddy who always practiced drawing fast and would holster fast. I told him that was dangerous and not necessary but he "knew better than me" since he's a former Army Ranger.

He learned his lesson when the bullet entered his thigh and traveled down his leg and exited after hitting his knee. He became a lot more humble afterwards.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
One of the reasons I like hammer-fired guns. I got accustomed to pressing the gun (in my case, usually a revolver) into the holster with my thumb pressing against the hammer. Not only does it give warning, but it makes it hard for me to accidentally have my finger on the trigger, and it greatly increases the pressure needed to pull the trigger. I own a Shield, but I find I just don't feel comfortable with the striker system. Yes, I know millions carry them safely. But I like "thumb against the hammer" when holstering, and not having a hammer feels weird to me.

Of course, a lot of folks have hammer-fired guns and don't put their thumbs against the hammer when holstering. Then it doesn't matter.
That's also why I like my XD, with its grip safety. I've built the habit of putting my thumb on the back of the slide while holstering, releasing the grip safety. That way two things have to go wrong for the gun to fire - something getting in front of the trigger, and me forgetting to do that. Redundancy!

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
The irony of the sign out front, "WHERE PROFESSIONALS TRAIN". Can happen to the best once complacency strikes. I'm a Glock guy and I never have figured out the hammer guys but I totally accept "different strokes for different folks".

Wonder if it was one of those dangerous Sigs with the hammer and all :scool: (Ah c'mon, who could resist?)

I'm also one who is never in a hurry to reholster. That is when so many ND's occur.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Speaking only for myself as a hammer guy, it simply comes down to having the option for a nice, light pull on subsequent shots, or, in the case of my revolvers, should I actually need to take a precise shot (active shooter possibly in a mall setting where they could be a decent distance away but I still have an opening). I also grew up on revolvers and 1911s so basically I'm just used to it and grew a fondness over time..yet I still have plenty of strikers because they each style has its purpose.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank you for the reminder, addywon.

It's a shame that things like this have to happen to keep us all mindful of what can happen...Just glad it wasn't fatal

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I used to just slam the gun back into the holster. My instructor broke me of that habit very quickly saying putting the gun into the holster should be slow and methodical. You should never be in a hurry to holster as this is when most ND's happen. Look at the holster when possible and never holster unless you are sure the threat is over so you can look at the holster.

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Thanks for the safety reminder.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Every time I holster I am thinking of the potential for obstructions on the trigger, regardless of safety features. The thought of a bullet grazing my person also is a constant reminder of the potential long-term effects of a self-defense situation.

Thanks for the intuitive thoughts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
bsms2 i Too Have A Hammer On My Gun As Well...I TOO HATE STRYKER FIRED GUNS i had An ISSUE With One Once and It Taught Me A VERY VALUABLE Lesson AND TO THIS DAY I DO NOT CARRY A STRYKER FIRED GUN and i like your Idea Of Having Your Thumb On The BACK OF THE HAMMER WHEN REHOLSTERING

1 - 17 of 17 Posts