Defensive Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why I have never realized this before is beyond me???

I was at the range yesterday, shooting my AR with a Seekins Precision 10.5" barreled upper. BTW, this is the 3rd barrel I've seen this happen with. I have shot this barrel twice before - it wasn't that impressive :blink: But I tried it again yesterday and WOW! It's a precision machine! As I mentioned, I've seen this with two other barrels; I was about to send one to the manufacturer for examination. It was only when I hit between 150-200 rounds did the barrel move from the uh-oh category to the WOW category, but anyway that's not the subject.

I was shooting from a concrete bench, and had a Trek T suppressor on the Seekins barrel. When you're in short sleeves, the bench will eventually, if not sooner, make a raw place on your elbow. I typically put a pot holder under my elbow and it is soooo comfortable and eliminates the raw spot. But on warm days it sticks to your arm due to sweat and falls off the bench every time you move your arm. Since this was the case today, I drug out my alternative elbow pad - a mouse pad.

This is a great elbow protector. It's rubber on one side for good grip; it's thin for wind resistance; it's fabric on top for comfort to the arm. It's not quite as soft as the pot holder, but it doesn't stick to your arm or if it does, the pad is heavy enough not to lift up. So right there is a good tool, but perhaps the best is yet to come!

I was shooting tiny little groups from the Seekins barrel at 50 yards, so tight that I was having to look through my spotting scope to confirm the hits. Then, one shot jumped to the right about 3/4"??? Hmmm, I know I didn't do that; has the scope moved??? Ahhhh, has the suppressor loosened - yes, it had, ever so slightly - just enough to cause the outlier. So I cautiously touched the suppressor - Ooooo, it's hot! So I do my usual thing and grab a shop rag, but it mostly slips and I can't tell how tight the suppressor is. Then I looked for something better and spotted the mouse pad, hmmm. My MagnetoSpeed chronograph mounts to the suppressor with a rubber heat shield - the mouse pad has a rubber pad, I wonder if it would melt if......

Well, it didn't melt, and it made just about the best hot (or cold) suppressor tightening tool you could ask for. It grips the suppressor better than your bare hand, and far, far, better than a rag. It's just thick enough to give you more torque when you apply force, but it's not wrenching power which would not be a good thing.

So, you can bet, where ever my range bag goes, a mouse pad will be in it.

Registered
I use a blankie.

Reactions: mkphillips

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Registered
Thanks. good tip.

Registered
Just hope a mouse doesn't take up residence in your mouse pad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts