Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming out of a store and I saw a man with a World War II Veteran cap. I struck up a conversation with him. He stormed Normandy Beach 5 days after the initial landing. He said they were still being pinned down. I asked him if he was scared. He just said that you don't even think about that. After some other questions he mentioned that that was 72 years ago....which makes him at least 90. He was still moving pretty darn good. I shook his hand, thanked him and departed.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My grandfather lied sbout his age snd joined the army at 17. He was at the battle of the bulge and D Day. Captured at BOTB and spent 5 months in a prison camp (in dresden I believe) until the Germans surrendered. Ate a raw potato and water every day, leaving 40lbs lighter. Suddenly released and ended up stranded alone until a black man in a pickup truck (yes, in Germany. .lol) gave him a ride. What an amazing story of survival for a dirt poor kid from WV. Made it through two of thr bloodiest battles in WW2 with just a shrapnel wound. unfortunately he passed when he was 73. I was 16 at the time and although I had great respect for what he did, I wasn't old enough to fully appreciate it. I would LOVE to be able to talk to him about it. I'm actually wearing my honor flight tshirt right now. It's a great cause.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts