Defensive Carry banner

A Growing Problem in America!

5K views 52 replies 51 participants last post by  Butch 
#1 ·
The inevitable has come! My son was going home from the local shopping mall when he was jumped by a group of teen thugs looking for trouble. A group of 5 teens stopped him and asked to use his cell phone. My son, a helpful and unassuming young man reached into his pocket when he was cold cocked by one of the other boys standing near by. Fortunately, my son was able to withstand the blow and returned the favor with a well delivered hook to the jaw of the punk who hit him. That sent the punk reeling to the ground.
But since there were four others surrounding him there wasn't much more he could do! He defended himself as best he could. He told me later that he was so afraid that one of them was going to pull a knife, or worse a gun! Fortunately, they didn't! One of them picked up his cell phone which had dropped in the mêlée and ran off with it. The others followed suit and all vanished as quickly as they had appeared!
He made it home and immediately called me. All I could think of was of my son and not much else. I forgot I was carrying! His Mom and I ran off to his apartment as quickly as we could to help. As I was driving and the wife was dialing the police, it occurred to me that I was still carrying my weapon. When we arrived at my son's apartment he was ready to rumble! He was mad as all get-out and pacing around like a caged tiger. I tried calming him down as much as I could but I was mad too and I wanted to find these punks just as much as he did! But I was carrying and I knew I had to do the smart thing. I figured that if we did find these guys and some kind of altercation happened and I shot one of these, "A_ _ holes!" I would be up for murder! For hunting them down or whatever!
I convinced my son that we would go look for them but only to find them and point them out to the police. Nothing more! That we would NOT engage them in any way!
So we went. But these human debris were hiding under a rock or something. Playing their rap music in their Mom's bedroom somewhere!
When the police arrived, my son filled out the police report and was told by them that if they were caught they would be charged with a class 'C' felony which carries a 15 year sentence in this state. He drives by the area every once in a while where the event occurred hoping to see one of them. Nothing yet!
I wish I hadn't of waited as long as we did to find them now though. It was a total of probably twenty minutes or so by the time the police arrived.
So, from the time he was attacked; to hurry home, call us, our arrival, and then go looking for them. It was about twenty minutes total.
I don't know if he is now considering carrying a weapon. Now that he's one more of the growing number of victims in these United States. He's still not eligible to carry however because of his age. Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me! If it had been my daughter that was attacked, OMG!!
I don't know if I could contain myself! Since it was my son and he does know how to fight I do feel a little better about it. But still!
I don't know why he can't carry!?!
Young men are usu sally the victims of violent crimes because of the male propensity to defend. Either himself or those dear to him. His mother has suggested to him about keeping some pepper spray. Maybe now he'll be a little more receptive to the idea.
I'm sorry for going on so! I'm just angry and need to vent to someone! I'm upset that something like this happens, period! And then, that it happened to MY kid! And finally, I'm frustrated that in this country people feel that they can get away with doing these kinds of things! What are people thinking??

See less See more
#2 ·
pepper spray = good idea

Glad your son was OK!

It definitly is a growing problem it seems to spread out to places once "good" parts of town. The LEO have their hands full with the "bad" parts of town and they arn't exactally expanding to meet the demand due to the budget cuts and what not.

Sometimes you have to take your life into your own hands. Don't hunt them anymore though it could turn against you. Remember the law will protect criminals just as much as you. They don't give two s#$%# about getting into trouble with the law but if you did you could loose everything.

#4 ·
Wow! Glad to hear your son is alright. I can understand your anger and I don't blame ya one bit. I also agree that the teens of today are way more violent than back in my day. +1 to mom on the pepper spray idea, if he can't carry a pistol I'd say that's a good start to some form of defense. Again, I'm glad to hear he's no worse for wear and wish your family a speedy recovery for your ordeal. Take care. GBK.

#6 ·
thugs like this are morons that have nothing better to do then to poke a few kids and get what little they can.

I'm glad your son is ok and hopefully he'll start carrying some pepper spray until he can get his CCW permit. You did the right thing not going out and looking for these guys, God knows i would have wanted to do the same thing but you did the right thing. Hopefully the cops will pick up these punks and they'll get what they deserve.

#7 ·
Well look on the brightside, it was only his cell phone that was taken from you. It could have been worse. But regardless, I hope you catch those *@$%#!

Pepper spray is a great idea. Also check stun-guns laws in your state. And maybe some martial arts training? I've heard good things about Krav Maga.

#8 ·
Wow I'm sorry to hear that. Your story is very upsetting. Glad your son is alright though.

I hope those ------- get caught!

#9 ·
So glad your son is OK. Unfortunately, the cretins who assaulted your son will probably not be caught. And if they are, they'll probably be slapped on the wrist by a bleeding heart judge who doesn't believe in subjecting "kids" to jail or prison.

I feel extremely fortunate in that I live on 5 acres in the country. While there is crime in my area, it is not the wanton violent crime and "kill for thrill" type crime which seems so prevalent in the urban areas. But I still don't go many places unarmed, and have an alarm system in my house and a 12guage Stoeger close at hand.

That's a hell of sad testament to the same nation which sent a man to the moon.

#10 ·
Glad your son is ok, physically. I'm sure there is some emotional damage, as anyone bushwacked would have.
It is an unfortunate fact of life that scum bags like those are allowed to roam the streets.
Sorry we can't offer any solutions, our society being the way it is.

#13 ·
I'd forgo any more looking for them. I THINK that at this point even if you found one and called the police it would be your word against their's that they were one of the bunch.

Also, as much as it pains me to say this I'd suggest that your son become a little less helpful. You really can't afford to let 4 unknowns to get that far into your bubble these days.

#14 ·
Also, as much as it pains me to say this I'd suggest that your son become a little less helpful. You really can't afford to let 4 unknowns to get that far into your bubble these days.
Good to hear your son is ok. Situations like these that make you grind your teeth. Its hard to think that now-a-days you cant always be a good samaritan. Good samaritans have to be picky and choose whom to help and whom not too. Its a sad thought.

#15 ·
Best advice is to have better situational awareness. Run and fight another day.

Speaking of cell phones, my nephew "lent" his cell phone to a strange youth who had an emergency. Last he saw that cell phone. It's a shame that good deeds are punished.

#16 ·
Being the father of good decent teens, if this had happened to one of mine, my initial reaction would be to hunt them down and get motivational on their azz!..:mad:
I know thats not the legal thing to do. But it very well may RIGHT thing to do. Sometimes it takes a good old fashioned country azz whoopin to instil some manners and decency. Worked on me when I was young!

#17 ·
Good your son was not seriously hurt and that you got past the incident without legal trouble. It makes me feel better to think the thugs will most assuredly receive punishment in the future. Next time or sometime, they will get caught by the police or try to knock over a conceal and carry mark. Remember them when you vote and when you are called to jury duty.

#18 ·
Thank God your son is ok. Get some good pepper spray for your son and daughter, a larger container. I fear what is going on in our country. Something is very, very wrong. I have not personally been attacked, nor have my sons, but my brother has been the victim of armed robbery and most everyone I know, including myself, have been the victims of robbery of possesions like UPS packages, bicycles, etc. Our home in Woodland Park, a smaller town, has been pretty good, but many of my relatives in New Mexico have been victims. A lot of this is caused by drugs and at least in New Mexico, law enforcement at some level is failing - perhaps its the judges- most cops I know are good.

You acted well and wisely, as did your son.

#19 ·
Sorry about your son, I hope this want happen again. I would read about about a BG who is shot and DRT.

I worry about my very young grandkids as they get older and have to venture through this crazy world.

#20 ·
Sorry to hear this happened. It's incidents like these that make me not want to approach anybody asking for help, unless I get a different vibe that makes me feel otherwise.

I hope the police catch those punks and they're punished to the fullest extent.

#21 ·
Wow... Sorry to hear about your son. I know I would probably be beside myself with anger if that sort of thing ever happens to any of my kids!

I agree with what someone else posted about maybe offering you kid some sort of 'real world' fight training, if for nothing else it might help him instinctively keep a more defensive attitude. It sucks to think that you have to worry about tempering the good nature of your kids! I hope every one of those low-life dirtbags gets caught, but sadly, I doubt they will.

Your story reminded me of a time when I was 17. I got jumped by this group of guys that were all pretty tough as long as they were all together (if you know what I mean). Anyway, I got the tar beat out of me. Once they got tired, I got myself back to my car and managed to drive all the way home. I had to wake my folks up because I knew I was in too bad a shape to just ignore my injuries. When I woke them up, my mother (after freaking out) took me into the bathroom and started trying to clean me up and stop my cuts and stuff from bleeding. My dad, who didn't say a word when I woke them up and told them I got jumped, walked into the bathroom fully dressed with a big freaking .357 revolver in his hand and said 'Let's go, now'... There is no doubt that had I taken him to where those guys were, he would have offed every one of them, or run out of shots trying to! Thankfully, I was in no shape to go anywhere and he accepted my claim that there was no way I could describe where they were since I didn't know the area I had been in (which was a total lie on my part, but I didn't want him to go killing anyone). Anyway, my point to all this is that I survived and came out a more street smart, aware person and I am sure you son will as well.

#23 ·
Sorry about your son experience!!!! In you account you mentioned the your son was worried about them producing a knife or gun. Your address is SC, what are the knife laws in SC? Maybe your son could get a lock blade folder for protection and still be legal. In a dog eat dog world every body needs a sharp fang.

#27 ·
This story reminds me of Bernard Goetz who shot 4 punks who were attempting to mug him on the New York subway in 1984. Bernie however was not a CCW permit holder. He was charged with attempted murder but, in the end , the only thing he was convicted of was an illegal weapons charge for which, if my memory serves me, cost him a little under a year in jail. The story then was quite interesting. Still is. If I remember correctly Bernie had been mugged before as well.

#25 ·
You=Obi Wan Kenobi
Your son=Luke
This will the defining moment where you can add to the ranks of the noble Sheep Dogs and not the wolf's that plague our great society. If he is anything like I was...he will go looking for the perpetrator's which will mean only bad news for everyone. Teach him better and we will all be better off.

#26 ·
I wish people would let us 18 and up carry. I want to open carry but don't want the harassment from the LEO, and the sheep. Perfect example of why LAW ABIDING citz. should be allowed to carry at the age of 18....

#28 ·
First of all sorry to hear about your son, and I’m glad he made it out “ok”.

Have the LEO’s picked them up yet. If the phone is on, all they have to do is GPS them.

That is if you son set his phone up to allow it. I always program ours to allow GPS tracking. It’s helped me out a couple times.

#29 ·
Glad no one was seriously hurt. Scary situation! You were smart not to go "looking" for these guys. There is nothing but trouble down that road.

Your son handled things quite well. Glad he got a few good punches in. He probably should have called 911 first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.