Defensive Carry banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,517 Posts
Bought a new Colt Detective Special circa 1977. A couple years later, times got a little tough and I traded it off for some car repairs.

Missed that little gun, but it was 30+ years before I got around to replacing it. Then I got yet another one.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Gotta admit, the only reason I know people sell weapons of their own is because I have taken advantage of the reduced cost to buy them.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Oh, for me thats easy, it was the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag I bought in 1982, and sold in 1985. Here is a photo of me shooting it back in 1983:

Of course I regretted the heck out of selling that one, but as luck would have it I was in a gun shop awhile back taking the plunge on buying a suppressor and going through the process at silencershops' excellent online kiosk when lo and behold I saw this in the display cabinet directly behind me (not the ale):

So I bought it, and all is well, the main reason being that in the near future I'm going to be living in bear country so, in the immortal words of somebody who said "When in the jungle, carry enough gun" or something like that.........

Of course the gun shop was really happy, they stuck me for $900 on the suppressor, plus $550 for the big .44.....

·
Super Moderator
19,034 Posts
OK edr9X23super. Inquiring minds want to know.

Was the 1983 photo take pre-9X23 interest on your part and is your hair still black?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Finding a 9 shot H&R .22 will be very difficult. So to the old slam-fire 16 gauge Ithica I got from my father. Been looking for one, but alas, none available.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Wish it was only one. Within the last year, I've bought a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe blue 4"...the gun I taught myself to shoot with in the mid-60s.

Then I bought a nickel-plated Sentinel Snub...that I'd had one of in the late 60s.
Then I got a pair of stainless Ruger Speed Six snubs...to replace the 4" I let get away in the late 60s and the Police Service 4" I sold in the 90s.
Then I gave up looking for a clean M64 snub, and bought a M66 snub. The week after, I found the M64, and bought it and sold the M66. I'm back to all revolvers...so happy I sold all my .45s and 9mms. First time in the last 55+ years, I'm satisfied...don't have a gun on my want list. Reckon I'll finish out my time enjoying shooting/carrying wheelguns.

They cost more, the second time around!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
When I first started trying out pistol brands to find my own niche' I initially bought an HK VP9. Not really knowing what I had (way back then) I foolishly traded it in on a G19. 🤦‍♂️ As I realized that the HK's were my thing, I got rid of the G19 and bought quite a few of them but always felt sick that I got rid of my first VP9. Since then, I brought it back into my fold.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I bought an S&W 3913, when it was still a relatively newly-introduced item. Like many pistols I acquired in the early and mid-Nineties, I sold it, to finance trying the next big (or compact) thing. A few years ago, I started keeping my eyes open, for a well-preserved sample, to replace it. In late 2018 or early 2019, I found a nice 3913 TSW, with the accessory rail. I’d still like to find a nice non-railed 3913, either TSW or not, as I have a nice holster awaiting.

·
Registered
257 Posts
In 1980, I aspired to join my department's 4-man pistol team. I needed a revolver suitable for serious PPC competition. As a young, married cop, my only means of affording one (a S&W M10 with 1-1/8 by 6" Douglas barrel, BoMar rib and action job) was to sell my treasured S&W M25 (AKA, 1955 Target Model). I regretted it even BEFORE I did it! At least I made the team, won some matches and became a High Master class competitor.

Afterward, the price of N-frames skyrocketed, and it took about 35 years for me to grab a replacement M25 at what I considered a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I sold a S&W Model 19 with 4 in barrel so I could buy a Beretta 92FS. I regretted it soon after selling the Model 19. However, several years later I inherited my dad's Model 19-4 service pistol, which I occasionally shoot.

·
Registered
43,675 Posts
Nope. No regrets for any gun I've sold. Stolen is another story though, but none were replaced.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
OK edr9X23super. Inquiring minds want to know.

Was the 1983 photo take pre-9X23 interest on your part and is your hair still black?
Ha! OK, here we go - Sorry I just saw your response. The "9x23" moniker came about as a result of my evolution as a shooter. Several things happened in the next 5 years after that photo was taken that changed my trajectory as a shooter and gun owner:

1) I visited the Dachau Concentration camp in 1985. Prior to that, I was an avid hunter who took a casual interest in 2a rights. After I got home, I looked at everything through the eyes of someone providing for their own self-defense and the changes in weaponry reflected the visit to that terrible place.

2) The gunfight - On February 13th, 1988 I was awakened by a gunshot outside my apartment; I grabbed the gun you see in the 1983 photo and go outside to interrupt an attempted car theft. The BG is about to shoot the vehicle owner and I intervene, firing a round at the BG, missing badly. BG gets away. In the aftermath, I think about everything that went wrong. I sell the .44 and buy my first 1911, get a Dillon progressive reloading machine and join USPSA in May of 1988.

3) In the 1990s I join the open gun craze and run around shooting a whole bunch of local club matches and some big ones (Area 2 & Area 4, etc..). My open gun is an STI in .38 super, with a red C-More and a Red grip. "El Diablo Rojo" is engraved in the slide, inlaid in 24k gold. This is where "EDR" came from.

4) I went through a barrel with that gun and had the trigger group replaced once in over 100,000+ rounds until I sold the gun in 2003. After that I took all of the parts from all of the prize tables I visited and had my gunsmith build them up into a gun I could carry or compete with. It has a Kart 38 super barrel in it and the extractor is tuned to handle rimless 38 super rounds. When I do (rarely) carry that gun I load it with 9x23 winchester rounds, silver tips or Cor-Bons. It is basically a gun with 357 magnum ballistics that holds 20 rounds. This is where the "9x23" part of edr9x23super comes from.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - No, what little hair is left is graying ever more daily......

And that, Sports fans is the rest of the story.......

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
AR7..........
i have been snake-bit 4 times now over the decades? i can not even keep track......been problamatic, jam-a-matic, ammo sensitive, horrible triggers and not the best accuracy.........

but......like a moth to the flame....

i want to give the AR7 a try again......i think its my inner child wanting to play spy........that's what i get for watching "From Russia with Love" every year........

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
OP - Your timing is impeccable, because I just bought my second Glock 26. I bought my first Glock, a Model 27, back in the winter of 04-05 and was perfectly satisfied with it until I shot my first IDPA and USPSA matches ... then I had to have a bigger Glock for competition and the G27 for concealed carry.

Since then, it's been a journey of buying and selling handguns, ever-decreasing in size, shooting competition with them against the bigger guns and ever-younger shooters. My latest foray was a pair of Sig Sauer P365s. I had a few problems with them and sold them. I began to re-invest in Glock 26s, first a Gen 5 and now a Gen 4 from my son. My pursuits have gotten so out of hand that I stumbled upon an old bill of sale on my hard drive and realized that I'd actually SOLD that G26 to the lad (43) back in 2015. Sheesh! I'd forgotten entirely about that!

So, yes, I have regretted selling and buying many G26s (and a few G27s), but I think my wanderlust is over. With two Glock 26s, a G42 and a Ruger LCP Gen 2 in stainless steel (for deep concealment and pocket carry), life is good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Springfield XDs 3.3" .45 - sold - never regretted it ;)
Glock 43 9mm, my wife's - sold, never regretted it!

:)
Peace out,
Michael J.

·
Super Moderator
19,034 Posts
Ha! OK, here we go - Sorry I just saw your response. The "9x23" moniker came about as a result of my evolution as a shooter. Several things happened in the next 5 years after that photo was taken that changed my trajectory as a shooter and gun owner:

1) I visited the Dachau Concentration camp in 1985. Prior to that, I was an avid hunter who took a casual interest in 2a rights. After I got home, I looked at everything through the eyes of someone providing for their own self-defense and the changes in weaponry reflected the visit to that terrible place.

2) The gunfight - On February 13th, 1988 I was awakened by a gunshot outside my apartment; I grabbed the gun you see in the 1983 photo and go outside to interrupt an attempted car theft. The BG is about to shoot the vehicle owner and I intervene, firing a round at the BG, missing badly. BG gets away. In the aftermath, I think about everything that went wrong. I sell the .44 and buy my first 1911, get a Dillon progressive reloading machine and join USPSA in May of 1988.

3) In the 1990s I join the open gun craze and run around shooting a whole bunch of local club matches and some big ones (Area 2 & Area 4, etc..). My open gun is an STI in .38 super, with a red C-More and a Red grip. "El Diablo Rojo" is engraved in the slide, inlaid in 24k gold. This is where "EDR" came from.

4) I went through a barrel with that gun and had the trigger group replaced once in over 100,000+ rounds until I sold the gun in 2003. After that I took all of the parts from all of the prize tables I visited and had my gunsmith build them up into a gun I could carry or compete with. It has a Kart 38 super barrel in it and the extractor is tuned to handle rimless 38 super rounds. When I do (rarely) carry that gun I load it with 9x23 winchester rounds, silver tips or Cor-Bons. It is basically a gun with 357 magnum ballistics that holds 20 rounds. This is where the "9x23" part of edr9x23super comes from.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - No, what little hair is left is graying ever more daily......

And that, Sports fans is the rest of the story.......
I was just "pulling yer chain," while ruefully contemplating my own appearance in the mid 1980s.

You replied with a really rewarding narrative. Causes a person to realize the depth of thought, knowledge, and character many of our fellow members possess.

Thanks edr9x23super!

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Sold a P320 Compact just to come full circle and go SIG full time. Though I picked up a full size since it's the BITN pistol.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
I bought a snub nose revolver back in 1981 when I was living in New Orleans. It was probably a Colt. I didn't know anything about firearms at the time. Had no instruction and didn't think to buy any books or even know there was such a thing as instruction. Had it for 30 years and sold it when I started training in semi-autos 12 years ago, because I did not see any need for it. Now, I own 3 revolvers again.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts