Defensive Carry banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
SP101, replacement I bought (engraved) is much nicer than the original. Going to do the same with a P10c if I can find a nice used one locally. These things happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I bought an S&W 3913, when it was still a relatively newly-introduced item. Like many pistols I acquired in the early and mid-Nineties, I sold it, to finance trying the next big (or compact) thing. A few years ago, I started keeping my eyes open, for a well-preserved sample, to replace it. In late 2018 or early 2019, I found a nice 3913 TSW, with the accessory rail. I’d still like to find a nice non-railed 3913, either TSW or not, as I have a nice holster awaiting.
Update: At the LGS, I found a very-well-preserved 3914 LS, and bought it. It is not the stainless 3913, for which I continue to be on the look-out, as we live in a misty/steamy/hazy climate, but though blued, was a worthy acquisition, itself.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Years ago I traded in an unfired Glock 17 for in store credit for a hunting bow at a local sporting goods store. A few months later I saw the Glock in the gun case for sale. I talked to the owner of the store, he sold it back to me for 25 bucks more than what I got in credit. Seemed like a fair deal.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I have never rebought something I sold. In 1975 a friend of mine had a pair of Colt Combat Commanders in stainless with sequential serial numbers. He was asking $250 for the pair (what he had paid for them). At the time my income wouldn't allow me to swing for the pair, so I bought one for $125. I shot it a few times, learned all about slide bite, and went through what I thought at the time ridiculously expensive ammo. I ended up selling it back to my friend for what I paid, then for about the next 35 years regretted my hasty decision to sell. When I started to get back into serious collecting I thought about buying another government model commander, but having shot 1911s with extended beavertails, I decided I was done with the old government models and haven't looked back since.

P.S. That friend decided to keep both commanders for himself. He retained the original presentation case they came in, and God only knows what they might be worth today.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
That finish was satin nickel...I think it's the prettiest they've ever turned out. Mine was the one you pictured...bought in 73 or 74. I had Jim Clark hand-make an ambi safety by drilling/tapping that post...it lasted till 78, then the post snapped from recoil/wear and I gave it to a right-handed officer. A pair of them would have been FINE!!!

Found this again! They had problems often with that satin nickel finish...some history and how to and how not to clean it/care for it are here:

I believe they're now produced in true stainless...not sure, Colt's turned so many somersaults. Mine never gave me any problems and had been throated by Clark to feed the Flying Ashtray round like it was swallowing skinned grapes! I do miss that gun.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts