Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a Shield 9mm back in December '15. I had about 875 flawless rounds through it and this past Wednesday I had a failure to extract. Shooting 124gr Aguila 9mm. The slide closed on the empty brass sitting basically on top the next round in the magazine. It didn't re-chamber the brass but it wasn't sticking out sideways or anything like that. Locked the slide back and dropped the mag and everything cleared. Continued to shoot another 30 rounds after without incident.

I had field stripped and cleaned the gun about 50 rounds prior to this happening. I guess there is a chance I limp wristed the shot, or it could be ammo related.

What course of action would you take in this situation to get your primary CC gun back into the fight? I've marked the magazine I was using when the jam occurred just in case it happens again I'll at least know if it was that same mag. I've also taken apart and cleaned all my practice mags. I will field strip and clean the gun again prior to my next range visit.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A limp wristing could have induced this; with smaller semi-autos you really need to be 'locked in'. How much, if any, of the 875 rounds you put through it previously were Aguila?

If you have 124gr ammo from other manufacturers, I'd run that through too. Most importantly, how does your defensive ammo of choice run through it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much, if any, of the 875 rounds you put through it previously were Aguila? Most importantly, how does your defensive ammo of choice run through it?
About 350 were Aquila. Blazer Brass for the rest and 100 or so rounds of my defensive ammo all without issue.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. Clean and lube and continue to shoot it and see if it happens again. It sounds to me a possibly underpowered round and/or limp wristing. I'm not a big fan of Aquilla ammo it seems to be dirty and tends to somewhat inconsistent. The Federal bulk and Perfecta 9mm works well in both my Shields with zero problems. Plus they are usually the cheapest around here.

·
Super Moderator
19,380 Posts
Unless it happens repeatedly, just consider it an opportunity to practice a fast remedial action. Stuff happens in real life that can cause even the most reliable guns to misbehave, so it pays to be prepared to handle that situation. Shooting the action games has sure improved my reaction to the gun's bobbles... there's no time to look at the gun and go "huh?" You need to clear it NOW and get back into action.

Meanwhile, per the above suggestion, make sure your mags are clean, and try some other ammo. If there is a real problem, it will surface again.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
One round after 875, followed by 30 without a problem - what you're doing sounds right. Personally I think an out-of-spec cartridge is by far the most likely explanation, and I wouldn't worry about it at all, if it were me.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Yeah, Get some high quality SIG or Hornady ammo for your EDC. Practice with it until you are confident with it again.

·
Banned
145 Posts
I bought over 60 carry guns in the last 6 years and will buy more this year too. Some jam. What I would do is to try different ammo. Practice ammo is not well built. 90% of the time the problem is with the ammo and switching to a heavier bullet in a different brand, solves the problem. Two of my guns will jam with 115 gr. 9mm ammo. Small guns seem to dislike light practice ammo. No problem with 115 gr. carry ammo though. So try a 124 gr. if you already do not and if you do, then switch brands to one with a higher power to make sure that your slide is cycling correctly.

You could also get a box of bad ammo. I was testing out a new 9mm 1911 and the gun was jamming once or twice for every mag I had. I looked at the ammo and some bullets were setback into their cases. A few years ago I had a box of new ammo with faulty primers. Last year I loaded .380 ammo into a 9mm magazine. I racked the slide and chambered a round and it shot fine but it jammed after that. I racked the slide again and chambered a round and it fired. It took me a while to realize what an idiot I was. :)

In 45 years most problems with guns were related to springs, magazines, ammo and feed ramps. It should that you either have a mag problem or more likely since it only jammed once, bad ammo or something simpler than that which I do from time to time. keep my finger along the slide enough to slow it down or relax my grip a little and limp wrist it without thinking. With small guns, even the smallest relaxation of your gun hand can cause the slide to not cycle fast enough.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Every gun is going to malfunction. The question is how many rounds does it go between stoppages? Mean rounds between failure is a gauge we can use for our carry guns.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/6837

This article outlines the concept. You'll have to decide what that number is. Right now yours is 875 rounds per stoppage.

One failure isn't a huge deal. It's going to happen. It does leave you a little uneasy. It's why we must train on malfunction clearance. That very well could've been during a gunfight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
One jam in 875 rds? Don't worry about it and practice your "tap, rack, bang" malfunction clearing exercises and forget about it for another 875 rds.

·
Registered
326 Posts
So I got a Shield 9mm back in December '15. I had about 875 flawless rounds through it and this past Wednesday I had a failure to extract. Shooting 124gr Aguila 9mm. The slide closed on the empty brass sitting basically on top the next round in the magazine. It didn't re-chamber the brass but it wasn't sticking out sideways or anything like that. Locked the slide back and dropped the mag and everything cleared. Continued to shoot another 30 rounds after without incident.

I had field stripped and cleaned the gun about 50 rounds prior to this happening. I guess there is a chance I limp wristed the shot, or it could be ammo related.

What course of action would you take in this situation to get your primary CC gun back into the fight? I've marked the magazine I was using when the jam occurred just in case it happens again I'll at least know if it was that same mag. I've also taken apart and cleaned all my practice mags. I will field strip and clean the gun again prior to my next range visit.
Clean and lube your firearm. When loading your magazines make sure to give them a smack with the bottom of your hand to set the cartridges in line in the mag to help with feeding.

·
Registered
415 Posts
As long as it shoots your carry ammo reliably, I wouldn't worry. Besides, it was one round, one. Keep shooting it, and if it really becomes an issue, then worry about it.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. Clean and lube and continue to shoot it and see if it happens again. It sounds to me a possibly underpowered round and/or limp wristing. I'm not a big fan of Aquilla ammo it seems to be dirty and tends to somewhat inconsistent. The Federal bulk and Perfecta 9mm works well in both my Shields with zero problems. Plus they are usually the cheapest around here.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that's your answer. I'm guessing an underpowered round.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Yep, 1 in 875. I wouldn't worry about it until it starts happening regularly.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
One jam in 875 rds? Don't worry about it and practice your "tap, rack, bang" malfunction clearing exercises and forget about it for another 875 rds.
^THIS^

Reactions: 5lima30ret
1 - 20 of 40 Posts