Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a LEO stops me for an alleged traffic infraction and I am carrying my gun, but I forgot my wallet with my driver’s license and CCW permit at home (or I lost it), can he run me and see that I really have CCW permit? What should you do in a situation like this?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
In Oregon, if you don't have your driver's license, you can prove you have one in court. If you don't have your CHP, you are in deep, deep doo doo.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you lost it, don't carry until you get a replacement, plain and simple, same with your drivers license.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you lost it, don't carry until you get a replacement, plain and simple, same with your drivers license.
I agree with you; I would never carry until I get a replacement. But what should happen if I forgot my wallet at home or lost it, and I was not aware of it until the LEO stops me?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree with you; I would never carry until I get a replacement. But what should happen if I forgot my wallet at home or lost it, and I was not aware of it until the LEO stops me?
I wouldnt want to be in those shoes.....
but i believe in Missouri you could be cited and fined.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok, I will echo what they said before me. If you lost it dont carry till you find it or replace it.

Now if you just forgot it. I know here in CT it will cost you $150.00. plus the court fees. (no I have not had to deal with this)

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
In TX, the LEO can run you and the CHL would show up. However, in TX anyone can carry in their vehicle, as long as they can legally own a handgun...

So, you'd get 2 citations...traffic violation + no DL

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldnt want to be in those shoes.....
Let me tell you that this situation scares the life out of me, but it could happen to any of us.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I know it is not worth the papper it's on , But I do have copies of DL/CWP/&
SS# Might help, being my trucks in my brothers & my name & got brothers
Card with name ,agency & PH.# PS I don't forget my wallet (yet) H/D

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
It may not be worth the paper but I keep a copy of my DL, State ID, CHL, and Passport cover page in a little brief case that goes everywhere with me.

I also have copies of these documents stored on my iPhone.

If nothing else it is a starting point for showing my true identity, and that except for the lost wallet or forgotten wallet I'd be fully legal.

All of that said, it has been my "nightmare" scenario that while shopping in "the city" 100 miles from home, my wallet got lifted and there I was needing to drive home without DL or CHL.

·
Administrator
143,830 Posts
In PA you need your LTC on your person to carry concealed but, you could always just uncover and carry open without your LTC.

That sure would be a problem if you were pocket carrying though.
I guess you would just have to stuff your firearm into your waistband and keep it exposed.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
I do a mental checklist before leaving the house...my wife double that list by asking me again, it's our routine.
On the rare occasion that I THOUGHT I had my license, I still (physically) touch the things I need as I'm driving away. :ticking: If I've forgotten anything, I'm back before I'm a 1/2 mile away.:yup:

Stay armed...make yourself a list...stay safe!

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
In Colorado no permit is required to conceal a handgun in your car. Not having your permit creates a "rebuttable presumption" that you don't have one (IOW) you get a ticket and when you go to court you show them a CHP dated prior to the date you were ticketed and the case is thrown out.

I'f I got pulled over in that situation I'd be honest but I wouldn't bring up the fact that I'm carrying unless I was specifically asked.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do a mental checklist before leaving the house...my wife double that list by asking me again, it's our routine ...
I guess I have to get a wife then (just joking).

For a long time ago, before getting my CCW permit, I lost my wallet with DL, credit cards and everything, and I did not realize it until it was time to pay for my lunch. It was not a funny situation then, and it should be worse now when I carry daily. I have an expired DL from other state; perhaps I should put it in the car; It might help to prove who I am.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It's dependent on whether or not your CWP is ties to your DL or license plate. In Tennessee they're tied to your DL. It'll show up on there when the officer runs it through NCIC.

I don't remember too much about out of state DL's or license plates. It's been 7 years since the last time I ran an NCIC terminal.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Let me tell you that this situation scares the life out of me, but it could happen to any of us.

I take it that you forget your wallet on a regular basis, eh?

I don't think they are gonna haul you off and throw you in jail... Although... in some States, they might.

Most States are gonna make it sting just a little by imposing a citation and a fine.

Here in Missouri, they can run you through the DMV computer and it will show that you have a CCW endorsement, however they will probably issue the fine anyway just to make it sting a little for being irresponsible.

The last time I left my Drivers License/wallet at home, I can't even remember. It hasn't happened in decades for sure.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I take it that you forget your wallet on a regular basis, eh?
Do not be so sure about it :biggrin2:. Fortunately I do not use to forget my wallet; I always put it in the same place along with the car’s keys. It is a habit like always locking the door. But like I wrote in my ad before, I lost it once, and it could happen again. That is what makes me worry.
Oh yes .... just for your information, I rather forget my wallet :fingersx:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts