Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I picked up a BNIB 2008 model Springfield XD-357. I’ve actually been coming across this particular firearm since that time. My small town FFL gun dealer has had it on his inventory list since 2008. These are fairly rare in this part of the world. I hate to use “XD” and “collectible” in the same sentence, but I’ve always thought it would be cool to have one. I have zero issues with the XD line of pistols. I’m not a guy who needs to shoot a gun 4000 times in a weekend without cleaning it and tomahawking steel targets with it once it runs empty to trust it. The XD’s feel great in my hand. I like the XDM’s a little better than the standard model, but I’m okay with either.

I had a Sig 229 .357 Sig from 2010 to mid 2012. I had a very young marriage and family at the time, and like most young marriages, we ended up more than flat broke and that 229 ended up paying quite a few bills for us. I’ve always wanted another .357 Sig, and I can finally justify the cost without a kid going hungry.

Factory ammo is not an option for ANY firearm I own. Even in good times. I’m too cheap and have trust issues. I’ve been hand loading since 1994. Since that time I’ve learned there are cartridges that are easy to load for, and there are few that are not. You can safely put the .357 Sig in the “are not” category and most hand loaders with .357 Sig experience would agree. A long story short, it’s a pistol cartridge that the cases need treated like rifle cases, and also requires care when sizing as making sure the cases head space correctly after sizing can be tricky. Also, there are a bunch of 9mm (.355”-.356”) bullets that have a long ogive that don’t lend themselves well to loading in the .357 Sig. Resized .40 S&W brass, or trimmed shorter than SAMMI spec .357 Sig cases are better for these types of bullets to insure the ogive curve stays out of the case neck. I’m glad I’ve kept loading log books since I’ve been loading. It was easy to crack in my old notes to make this task easier. At the end of the day, you need to really enjoy hand loading to be able to make reliable Sig ammo and not want to kick the dog during the process.

.357 Sig. Resized .40 S&W brass, head spaced off the shoulder for my chamber. 147 Berry RN, CCI Small Pistol Magnum Primers, and enough Blue Dot to launch that bullet 1150 FPS.

124 Sig V-Crown bullets running 1300+ FPS.

I took the V-Crown bullets to the range to test reliability. I ran a few Wizard drills using the factory supplied holster. I had a blast training and shooting. I threw a few shots. In fact, I don’t think I quite passed any of the Wizards I shot today, but also feel confident the bad guy wouldn’t have walked away un-scathed, minus that 7 and 5 yard head shot that clear missed!

I accuracy tested the load at 10 yards. 20 shots in the chest, 5 in the head. I wish I could blame the gun for my missed shots, but any misses were 100% pilot caused. Just like any pistol, I shoot it a tad left.

I hope you’ve had a chance to enjoy this beautiful spring and thanks for reading.

Todd

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I just got a .357Sig barrel for my XD compact. Have not tried it yet but I’m looking forward to.

I also reload but I don’t have the dies for it yet, probably won’t get into that until fall or winter. When I do can I PM you for load data and other tips?

Reactions: justahunter

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Great report. I like how that XD-357 looks on the slide. Don't ever remember seeing one before! Congrats on an excellent looking pistol.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I have a XD .45 Tactical it has been a stellar performer. So has my Hellcat and XDS .45. If I were not so heavily invested in GLOCKs i.e holsters, mags, spare parts ... (I've been mandated to carry GLOCKs at work for 27 years now) I could very have likely been strictly a XD guy. Either way, I love the one I have.

Reactions: justahunter

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
A few weeks ago, I picked up a BNIB 2008 model Springfield XD-357. I’ve actually been coming across this particular firearm since that time. My small town FFL gun dealer has had it on his inventory list since 2008. These are fairly rare in this part of the world. I hate to use “XD” and “collectible” in the same sentence, but I’ve always thought it would be cool to have one. I have zero issues with the XD line of pistols. I’m not a guy who needs to shoot a gun 4000 times in a weekend without cleaning it and tomahawking steel targets with it once it runs empty to trust it. The XD’s feel great in my hand. I like the XDM’s a little better than the standard model, but I’m okay with either.
Back in the day, about when your gun was new, Springfield had the XD in every sensible service caliber, including .357 Sig, including 45 GAP.

These days, the Internet Gun Social Media Herd Mind has decided XD-s are icky, and the line is much reduced. Regular XD, 9mm only. XDM in .45 and "ten mil". .40 not to be seen at all. And the other chamberings are a memory.

Resized .40 S&W brass, head spaced off the shoulder for my chamber. 147 Berry RN, CCI Small Pistol Magnum Primers, and enough Blue Dot to launch that bullet 1150 FPS.
I hear tell that's nto a good idea. Length not quite what it should be for that to work well. So sez the Internet, so YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts