Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The basis on what we gun-owners need to know and follow is found right in the story of the “Three Little Pigs”. As you know the Big Bad Wolf came along and blew away the house made of straw (England), then he went along and blew away the house made of sticks (Australia), then he huffed and puffed and huffed and puffed again and couldn’t blow away the house made of bricks (USA).

So with a very simple story that’s really where we stand in the USA. Our brick house is thanks to the Bill of Rights, the NRA (and other orgs.) and the freedom-loving patriotic American gun owner citizens that we are. Even way back during WWII Japan was advised NOT to attack the USA mainland because “there is a rifle behind every blade of grass”. Wherever our enemies are now (domestic and foreign), they have to know this even today.

However, with a strong enough wind our brick house could blow away. Let’s never get complacent with that notion. There is nothing wrong at all with us strengthening or adding to our brick house and being able to repel the damage from some sudden burst of wind.

What can we do from our home? Here are some ideas.

#1 Do something, take on a task that strengthens 2A in your community. Don’t rely just on your legislators or a gun org. to help. Get involved, and be proactive. Do something, never solely rely on others

#2 Vote, always vote in every election. Even if you have to hold your nose to vote, or even if "your guy" didn't make the cut. We are their bosses, and voting is the opportunity we give them to “renew their job with us or not”. Vote as if they work for you......because they do!

#3 Youth are our 2A future. Get involved with a youth shooter group. Teach the safety, respect and knowledge they need to know about firearms. If there is a neighborhood kid who might be raised by a single parent, get permission and help them out. By all means invite the parent also. You never know that kid might one day carry a big 2A banner for us. Females are our future too, never forget about helping them getting started as a new gun owner.

#4 Wasting breath on an anti-gunner is probably just an exercise in wasting breath. Fence-sitters are another matter and they are worth our time and effort. Their minds aren’t yet closed and usually open to being educated. Invite them to your range. Help them out.

#5 Be a good 2A representative by being a safe and responsible gun owner. Demonstrate that you are safe, serious, and knowledgeable. No gun-slinging and bold talk. Just set a good example and be a good role model.

#6 Wear some pro-gun stuff. I read sometimes that it might “give me away to some bad guy, then he’ll get the drop on me”! In weighing this idea I believe we can do a better job in promoting 2A. No doubt there is another type of bad guy out there known as the gun-grabber and truth be told we face them every day. I’ve made an effort to wear something pro-gun nearly every day, probably since Sandy Hook. I’ve never had anyone say anything negative to me, and BG’s aren’t following me around trying to get the drop on me. Now I’m not talking about wearing a t-shirt that says stuff like, “Kill ‘em all, let God sort ‘em out” and I’m not talking about dressing like Rambo. Personally I wear a plain looking NRA cap, or I’ve got some gun shirts advertising some gun store, and I’ve got some pro-gun shirts that comes from various pro 2A orgs. I’m not a walking billboard, but I’ve got that pro-gun message with me, and I make sure it’s a quality message and “look”. I’m proud to wear my stuff, I think it’s effective and that it’s worth doing. Wearing it for the first time in public, sort of reminds me of carrying concealed for the first time. You think everyone is looking and pointing at you. Most people are oblivious. If you are uncomfortable with it, don’t worry about it, focus on something else here you can be comfortable with.

#7 Join local, state and national gun orgs. There are strength in numbers. I know, I know……I know all about the junk mail, scare tactics, phone calls and solicitations. They are trying to wake up the apathetic voters and members and you probably aren’t one, but they probably don’t know that. There is no pro-gun organization that can satisfy 100% of the members 100% of the time. Don't let that be an excuse to not join or contribute. Ask yourself this, overall would we be in a better or worse 2A position with or without the NRA? Gifting memberships to others is a great idea, and I’ve kept all of my memberships current since Sandy Hook, and intend to continue. Friends of the NRA probably have a yearly banquet near you, they are essentially a dinner with a speaker and raffle fundraiser. I enjoy going, in fact at the last one I bought an entire table and invited family and friends. They raise a lot of money, the one’s I’ve gone to are well-attended. By the way if we are ever burdened with some gun laws that we despise, the gun org dues you’ve saved by not joining, will pale in comparison to the bad legislation we gun owners could suddenly face

#8 Gun shows. The gun-grabbers don’t like gun shows, that’s more the reason for me to attend and support them. Right now I’m heavily involved in helping a non-profit group put on a gun show. I don’t make a penny on it, in fact it costs me money and time to do it, the little profit they make does go for good causes, and I especially like that. It also gives me great pleasure to see all the people attend and tell me they had a good time. It’s my way of thumbing my nose at the gun-grabbers.

#9 Support with money or time a pro-gun candidate. Times have changed and today our single vote is not quite enough, we’ve got to do more! We’ve got to get out there and hustle votes for the candidates that we need. Getting the right people in place goes a long ways in curtailing the winds that can blow on our brick houses.

#10 For our local, state, or national legislators write those letters, send those emails and ring their telephones. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don’t ever be discouraged in not writing an anti-gun legislator, you may not change their postion, but you might curtail some of their wind. If they don’t hear from you, then they think you are asleep at the wheel, and just blow harder. Most legislative offices keep up with how the phone calls and letters are polling. We always need to be a part of those numbers.

** If you feel like this post is worthy, pass it along to other forums, and/or amend it here to make it better, but by all means do something **

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I agree with everything you wrote in theory.

Sadly; we have long passed the threshold of theory.

It occurred when we stopped having representation.
We can argue when that happened, though it will not cure the cancer that has intertwined itself in the U.S.

The most recent demonstration of this was the last election where self proclaimed republicans ran on a deep conservative plank with promises abounding. It sounded great to to the conservative base with a resounding YES as the house and senate is now majority ruled.

Not one promise has been fulfilled as these false conservative republicans try to insure their golden parachute remains intact.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I have 8 of the 10 covered regularly. I am a Life Member of the NRA, but contribute as much as possible to the NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF and attend Friends of NRA functions when I can.
The NRA is the backbone of ALL our gun rights and we'd be in a terrible mess without them.
Normally, I donate as an NRA annual member as well + always something to the SAF and State Rifle Assn.

Whenever I get junk mail or email from the NRA, I just smile and think how wonderfully they scare the bejeebers out of the Antis.
LOVE IT!!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Sadly, the leftist seem to have only read PART of the Three Pigs fable. You know, building (social) structures of straw & sticks and then running to the conservative's BRICK house (and wallet) when the winds of fortune...blows their's AWAY! :image035:

Reactions: nlyric and ppkheat

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I think I have most covered, not as involved as I need to be on the local level, but working on it.

Reactions: ppkheat

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
#11 Gun grabbers will always be present, they are not going away. We handle that by always being diligent, reactive, and galvanize together quickly. Our wheel must always squeak louder than theirs.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Whenever I get junk mail or email from the NRA, I just smile and think how wonderfully they scare the bejeebers out of the Antis.
LOVE IT!!
HA! I always save it and drop it off in any place that has a waiting area with reading material. :image035:

Nice post ppkheat! Too bad I can only like it once.

·
Registered
807 Posts
#11 Gun grabbers will always be present, they are not going away. We handle that by always being diligent, reactive, and galvanize together quickly. Our wheel must always squeak louder than theirs.
Amen brother!

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
I like it.

I have a recommended #12: police your own idiots.

All political cohorts have a bell-curve, and (frankly) some of the people on any specific team are, in the end, bad representatives. They'll do and say dumb things, and you really should understand why people fear them owning guns with no restrictions. You only need a few bad bricks to ruin a good wall. The important part is that we rarely listen to people outside of our political boxes. A chastisement from within the ingroup is worth a gazillion chastisements from outside it.

This part is hard, since it's very easy to ignore the ramblings of your own idiots, maybe pat them on the heads with a "bless your heart". But they're the ones that do the most damage, reputation-wise to a group. If they're spouting weirdness, help teach them more useful mindworms.

And this is reasonably generic advice. Think about any political cohorts you tend to disagree with, chances are you'll most notice their idiots. And you'll use their idiots in order to justify your stance against their position.

Fair warning though. It's a bit like herding kittens.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
If you own a firearm it's your duty to join an organization that promotes and protects our sport.I done and continue to support business that are pro 2 amendment.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
If you own a firearm it's your duty to join an organization that promotes and protects our sport.I done and continue to support business that are pro 2 amendment.
Not sure which 'Sport' self defense and arming against Tyranny fall under, but I support the NRA, SAF, State Rifle Assn, etc.
We all need to support our 2A Lobbies far more seriously than we have been.
I have taken ppkheat's idea of wearing something pro-2A as often as possible.... been getting some 'thumbs-ups' and 'nods' from folks I didn't think noticed.
Good Post!

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I Oc alot so wearing something pro gun is mosyly covered.
Without the NRA we wouldnt have the NFA and for that along with other blatant anti RTKAB stances they have taken i dropped my membership and wont give them a penny.
SAF, GOA, im good to go with.
I dont associate with anti gun folks, dont believe in fence sitters.
Everything else mentioned is covered.
No, compromise, not another inch given.
Only repeal. I will not vote for any candidate for any office that has ever uttered an anti gun or compromise with anti sentence.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Yes yes and yes.

All 10 are important but #3 and #4 especially. Kids and fence sitters need to be taken to the range to experience guns firsthand. The best way to make someone pro-gun is to let them shoot some. They may nor may not get one of their own, but they will always remember it and hopefully in a positive way with a new respect for firearms.

Every one of those people who have had a good experience at a range are much more likely to support gun rights, even if they don't own one.

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
I will add one other “media speak” I don’t care if eavesdropping is impolite if I hear someone refer to gun violence I will interrupt them and tell them no it is “CRIMINAL violence using a gun” the same as the often misnomer of “guns on the streets”, no it is “criminals on the street”.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
The economy in the toilet, violent crime increasing steadily. It has a positive affect on gun ownership and awareness imo. The FALSE sense of security people have lived with is diminishing. I work with 4-5 anti gun types(all strangely on anti depressants) who still bury their head in the sand and ignore the facts. I don't engage them as its pointless, just amazing how the opposition thinks. I just throw an occasional thought provoker out there. One guy, nice wife and kids. Staunch anti gunner. I said to him, so if you wake at zero dark thirty with three armed men forcing their way into your home. How would you prevent a scenario that played out for that Dr's family in CT for example? Wife and young daughter raped for hours and burned alive. He says a policeman lives across the street. I say, so your gonna scream for help...OK . His head turns beet red indicating I struck a nerve. I just say no one, no government has the right to deny me the ability to protect my family period. You say there's no place in a civilians hands for so called assault rifles? Tell that to those who live on our southern border, or near any major city or anywhere now where violent home invasions take place.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure which 'Sport' self defense and arming against Tyranny fall under, but I support the NRA, SAF, State Rifle Assn, etc.
We all need to support our 2A Lobbies far more seriously than we have been.
I have taken ppkheat's idea of wearing something pro-2A as often as possible.... been getting some 'thumbs-ups' and 'nods' from folks I didn't think noticed.
Good Post!
That's what I've been talkin' about ! (I have on a LGS related t-shirt right now, just wore it to town). I think we need to show people that "we are out there" and proud to be a part of it.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The economy in the toilet, violent crime increasing steadily. It has a positive affect on gun ownership and awareness imo. The FALSE sense of security people have lived with is diminishing. I work with 4-5 anti gun types(all strangely on anti depressants) who still bury their head in the sand and ignore the facts. I don't engage them as its pointless, just amazing how the opposition thinks. I just throw an occasional thought provoker out there. One guy, nice wife and kids. Staunch anti gunner. I said to him, so if you wake at zero dark thirty with three armed men forcing their way into your home. How would you prevent a scenario that played out for that Dr's family in CT for example? Wife and young daughter raped for hours and burned alive. He says a policeman lives across the street. I say, so your gonna scream for help...OK . His head turns beet red indicating I struck a nerve. I just say no one, no government has the right to deny me the ability to protect my family period. You say there's no place in a civilians hands for so called assault rifles? Tell that to those who live on our southern border, or near any major city or anywhere now where violent home invasions take place.
That's very interesting, perhaps revealing.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will add one other “media speak” I don’t care if eavesdropping is impolite if I hear someone refer to gun violence I will interrupt them and tell them no it is “CRIMINAL violence using a gun” the same as the often misnomer of “guns on the streets”, no it is “criminals on the street”.
I like this too and good for #13

#13 Don't let an anti-gun media (or other loud mouths) distort the facts with inaccurate catch-phrases or new definitions. They are trying to brainwash others with their twisted vernacular.......bring 'em back down to earth.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Well said ppk.

I am negligent on a few of your "points of light" but excel in others.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts