Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jim duffy is a candidate in the 2010 San Diego County elections, I a humble voter sent him this via email today.

Mr. Duffy,

As a resident of San Diego County and a veteran of military law enforcement I am bothered by the degree of difficulty in obtaining a permit to exercise what I consider to be a constitutionally guaranteed right. I’m sure you are familiar with the constitution so I won’t insult you by repeating any legal arguments.

Under the current Sheriff’s policy, self defense is not good cause for a concealed firearm permit. I ask you, sir, why not? A firearm is a legitimate form of self defense , statistics show that armed resistance to violent crime is the best way to defend oneself. The police simply cannot be everywhere, and I do not fault them for that. As someone with a taste of law enforcement, I have nothing but respect for those who choose to place themselves in harm’s way for the good of the people. But when confronted with a violent situation seconds count, while the police are at best minutes away.

To solve this problem I suggest that “good cause” not be the critical point concerning the issuance of concealed carry permits, but safety. I propose that if a citizen can demonstrate knowledge of firearm safety and marksmanship skill consistent with that of a regular peace officer, that citizen shall be issued a permit to conceal and carry. It must be made clear that most of us who wish to carry for self defense are not law enforcement, and we recognize a permit to carry is not a license to enforce the law.

Taking firearms out of the holsters of those who would seek to legally carry, does not reduce gun crime. Anybody willing to commit armed robbery with a firearm, is not going to stop simply because he does not hold a permit to carry a firearm, it’s just another law for him to break. Restrictive gun control is backwards thinking. This is again proven statistically, 39 states that have adopted a “shall issue” attitude towards concealed carry. In those states gun crime has decreased. However in New York and Washington DC where gun control is most strict, violent crime involving firearms has increased significantly. I know California is a “may issue” state, as sheriff you would be deciding who you “may” issue to. If elected, what will your stance on concealed carry be? Will you allow me to defend myself should I become the victim of a violent criminal?

Respectfully,

Ryan Clark
Ramona, Ca

I tried to reasonably and respectfully explain my point and offer a solution. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I like it

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Be sure to follow up with his reply...should be interesting.:image035:

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I would like to here his reply also.:gah:

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Nicely written. I too would enjoy seeing his reply.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got it, I'll post it up as soon as I get it!

I found out that Jay LaSer another candidate is extremely pro-CCW. To the point he has stated on his website that, if elected, San Diego will become a "shall issue" county . . . he might just get my vote.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Agree with everyone else. Well written, articulate, good points, friendly.

Please let us know what his reply is.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ditto on what the others said ,but……..you might vote for the other guy, does he have other quality’s that bother you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My guess is that he won't reply... If this guy is like most of the government types that I have seen he will feel that he is too good to offer a reply. Just a thought. I do hope that I am wrong...

Steve

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm sure like most politicians, he'll tell you what you want to hear to get your vote and then do as he pleases once he's elected.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I personally would go with the guy that thiniks people should be armed and isn't scared to admit it up front,not have to reply with a canned response,

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Awesome letter. Unfortunately, it seems like less and less politicians think for themselves, and just go with what their "experts" tell them to say.

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
Awesome letter. Unfortunately, it seems like less and less politicians think for themselves, and just go with what their "experts" tell them to say.
Too bad their idea of an "expert" doesn't include Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, James Monroe, George Washington, John Hancock, Benjamin Franklin, &c.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
:yup:

Go with what their "experts" tell them will win the election, based of focus groups, polls, etc.

Not what their "experts" tell them about the substance of the issues.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
You said it all. This is a very good letter and gets right to the point. Lets hop[e that he gets many more.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts