Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. folks, here is the follow-up article. I think we can turn him!

With gun, I will aim for safety
Posted at 12:09 AM on Tuesday, Dec. 15, 2009
By Bill McEwen / The Fresno Bee
Now that I've written of my intentions to buy a handgun and apply for a concealed-weapons permit, readers are stuffing my mailbox with advice, opinions and invitations.

The advice from gun owners is almost unanimously sober. They talk about the duties that go with carrying a weapon: picking the right gun, taking safety classes and practicing shooting.

Writes a Turlock man, "I would ask of you these things if you are serious about pursuing a [permit]. Never forget that doing so brings upon you a huge responsibility to practice and to constantly think about the terrible consequences that come with having to defend yourself with deadly force, whether a firearm or anything else. Carrying a weapon of any sort brings with it an awesome responsibility."

Some gun-control advocates say I've lost my mind or am trying to stir controversy. A friend suggested that if I am worried about the crime rate where I live, I should move back to my old neighborhood closer to Shaw Avenue "and forget about a weapon."

Call me stubborn, but I'd rather stay put than surrender to the bad guys.

So, after the holidays, I'll hang out with a few experts who have invited me to learn more about guns -- including assault rifles, which I bad-mouthed in the column.

Then I'll buy a gun, enroll in a safety class, fill out the permit and see whether I pass a Fresno County background check.

I understand the argument that more guns will create more pain and havoc. I acknowledge that carrying a concealed weapon probably wouldn't have helped Richard Hernandez, the deliveryman who was shot in the back.

But I've seen ample research backing Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims' contention that society is safer when responsible people bear arms. And, heaven forbid, if I face a life-or-death situation, I don't want to go out a defenseless victim.

I know people who have permits and carry concealed weapons. You can't pick them out of a crowd. They don't brag about it. They take the responsibility seriously. The Second Amendment provides the right to own firearms, and they exercise that right.

Responding to my column, a retired registered nurse with a doctorate in education described what led her to get a concealed-gun permit after moving to an isolated spot in the Madera County foothills. She said that she felt unsafe during her daily walk and driving to choir practice at night.

"I had never held a handgun until I retired five years ago," she said. "I was determined not to give up my independence."

Owning a gun is a personal choice for people with clean records. Carrying a gun in California is decided by the sheriff of each county.

Criminals don't play by these rules. They steal guns or buy them illegally, putting us all at risk. And, unlike responsible gun owners, they don't think much -- or care -- about the consequences of firing their weapons.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
How ironic would it be if he doesn't pass the background check?

Seems most anti gun people are only turned after they or someone close to them is a victim of a bad crime.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
One at a time. Little by little. More and more responsible gun owners. More and more gun friendly legislators. More and more gun rights people in congress. Progress sweet progress.

·
Registered
752 Posts
How ironic would it be if he doesn't pass the background check?

Seems most anti gun people are only turned after they or someone close to them is a victim of a bad crime.
Or if they tell him he doesn't have "just cause" (it is CA he's applying to, I don't recall if the county is CCW friendly or not)

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
He's getting there. One of his readers now needs to inform him that the 2A does not "provide the right" to own a firearm - it merely recognizes a pre-existing natural right.

If the 2A was overturned tomorrow, we would all still have a right to own a firearm - it would just be "illegal.":rolleyes:

The fight goes on...:hand10:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Wow. :shocked:

I'm impressed. He seems to be coming around.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Very impressive, especially coming from California and from a liberal no less!
We shall see what this turns into, but so far it seems very positive and a very nice change of pace.

~Steve

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Man great article, hope he sticks with it. If any follow up articles are written, please post them here, thanks!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I hope when he gets to the range his favorite gun becomes an AR-15...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not to troll..... but I want to make a point about what 10th mountain said.....

Our natural god given right is NOT to own firearms, it is to defend ourselves by any means possible.......
The 2nd Amend. only gives us the right to have arms...... should that be taken away, we would still have the right to self defense by any means possible.

We need to make sure that we don't confuse our god-given rights, with those granted by the constitution. Owning a firearm by itself is not a god-given right, it a constitutional right.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
My American Rifleman mag had an article about a Washington Post writer, Christian Davenport ,who went to his editor and told him that he wanted to go and get training , buy a pistol, etc,etc , all the while, living in D. C.
The higher ups gave them a hard time at first ,but they finally conceeded ,and even paid for the process.

Here is the link for further reading.

NRA-ILA :: Washington DC: Strict regulations make gun ownership difficult

*"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to
pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Unknown

·
Registered
143 Posts
I liked the fact that he quoted some advice and reasons from reasonable-sounding gun owners. That may help others see that concealed carry types aren't Rambos.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've enjoyed watching this unfold. I haven't read his other articles but only read here and online that he is very liberal. I'm helping get the liberal-turned-prospective gun owner story put out there by linking to the article on some other social media accounts.

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
Not to troll..... but I want to make a point about what 10th mountain said.....

Our natural god given right is NOT to own firearms, it is to defend ourselves by any means possible.......
The 2nd Amend. only gives us the right to have arms...... should that be taken away, we would still have the right to self defense by any means possible.

We need to make sure that we don't confuse our god-given rights, with those granted by the constitution. Owning a firearm by itself is not a god-given right, it a constitutional right.
I agree that I don't want to highjack the thread either, but this is an important point.

If you read the writings of the founders of our nation, they quite clearly believed in a God-given natural right to arms, and it is fairly certain to say that "arms" included firearms. They likened "arms" borne by humans to the natural weapons (claws, teeth, etc) given by God to wild animals.

There was a great debate about whether to have the Bill of Rights in the Constitution, or not. One side said "no" because these rights were "self evident" and they feared that any rights not included in writing would be usurped by the government. The other side feared that NOT listing those rights would lead to the same thing.

Bottom line is that our founders believed in a pre-existing God-given right to "keep and bear arms," and those "arms" certainly included firearms. Whether or not that right is included in the Constitution does not invalidate the right - it still exists.

:smile:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
No matter the outcome, whether he decides that firearms and concealed carry are for him or not, I applaud the gentleman for exploring both sides of the debate. If only more folks (liberals, conservatives, and martians alike) approached issues this openly.

And the beauty of it all is he's now got friends/coworkers/readers discussing it as well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
There are lots of liberals from California that believe in gun rights . . .
They are all over the place...... it seems that like this reporter that people I talk with who are most certainly "liberal" are seeing the light in the pro gun debate.

It seems that they've gotten the concept that gun laws only stop law abiding citizens from getting gun. The criminals are obeying no rules to begin with so why would they obey a gun law.....yes I've heard many liberals say this in recent years......

Thing is that most of the libs I know are the type of people that cannot ignore statistics. And the stats clearly prove that more gun laws don't equal less crime.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I am really enjoying this. We moved from that area of Ca. almost 20 years ago because of, well you all know way too many libs and such. Anyway going to be interesting following this. If this guy converts to our side he'll surely be an out cast among his own. Hope not, but we will see. I hope he get's so jacked about it all that he really becomes an advocate for our 2A. We need all we can get these days.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts