Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing a home defense weapon soon as I want to be ready for when things get heavy. The Remmington 870 Marine Magnum really peaked my interest because of it's nickel plating which is supposed to keep it from being damaged by the elements. Can anyone vouch for how effective this really is? I was also wondering if you can somehow paint over the nickel plating as I don't want to give away my position due to it's shininess. Last question is regarding the recoil. I've read that this thing kicks considerably more than the Mossberg 590. I'm a smaller dude so I want a weapon with little recoil for follow-up shots. Thanks in advance guys. :wave:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Unless you live on the beach or plan on keeping the shotgun on a boat, I really wouldn't be all that concerned with the marine mag. Spend the extra cash on a Police model instead.

As far as recoil... no real difference. Shooting the same ammo out of a like weight and barrel length will not create a recoil difference that matters.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
But...it looks so cool....LMAO JK :rofl: I agree with Sixto. Step up to a Police model. They are built a little heavier duty and will stand up to anything YOU will throw at it just as a HD weapon.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
BTW...welcome to the forum from the OTHER Virginia...I have a friend who lives in Woodbridge.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Yep, the Marine 870 nickle finish IS environmentally more durable. But, unless saltwater exposure is expected, a well-maintained factory 870 blued finish does just fine. You can "paint" over either, but why? Recoil difference between a Rem 870 & Mossy 590 is moot. Hogue makes some aftermarket, recoil-reducing stock designs for both if it's an issue. Pro trainers suggest the best way to tame recoil is to push foward (not pull backwards) with your left-hand gripping the pump. Try it, it'll surprise you with the effect on follow-up shots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! I want to paint or coat the nickel areas with something dark so it doesn't reflect as much though I must agree that it does look awsome. I think I'm still going to get the Marine Magnum as you never know when you'll find yourself in a position where you are forced to put your gun through rigorous conditions so I would like to play it safe.

To Jwhite: West Virginia was where I developed my love for firearms. I go there from time to time (Paw Paw) to my friends cabin and we shoot tons of guns as well as off roading :). Great little town with friendly people. They trip when I take off my helmet and see that I'm Asian haha.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
One of my friends is a science teacher at Paw Paw HS. Small world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts