Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had this happen before have any of you??

I've been looking for a scope for a new Ruger RPR and been going back and forth between the Votex Viper PST 6-20x50 FFP MIL to MIL and the Votex Razor HD 5-20x50 (35mm tube) MIL to MIL. Was aiming at the PST mostly due to cost because the Razor HDs were in the $1900 range (about 1K more than I wanted to put into this). Well the Razor HDs have dropped down to the $1699 range, so I put an "offer" in with Scopelist for $1500, which they declined saying $1699 was lowest they could go. By chance I checked out Midway USA, as they had the same scope listed for the same price, so I figured I'd get it from them and have it in a couple days.

Surprise!

Midway had it listed this morning (looked at it last night for $1699) as "clearance", 2 in stock put it in your cart for actual price. When I dumped it in my cart it came up as $1480.49, so I bought it. I immediately sent the link to a friend of mine also looking for a LR scope, but when he checked it out about an hr later, the Vortex Razor's were back to $1699, no longer on clearance and plenty in stock.

This is the link on my invoice:

Vortex Optics Razor HD Rifle Scope 35mm Tube 5-20x 50mm Side Focus

????

I've never seen this before, have any of you? Do they just hang stuff out there once and a while to see if anybody bites? Not complaining, I've got an invoice and a shipped notification, but what gives? Was I actually lucky for once?

Chuck

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
I have bought a lot of gear from Midway. They, like most of the other retailers, have short fuse sales that only last for a day or so. I also buy scopes from Optics Planet, who also have some very short sales. I am not surprised at all.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
There are a few things I know to be true. Midway, although an online retailer, has enough buying power to buy dealer direct and is a distributor for some LGS's. Their sales people have targets to meet. Some will price match and deal with customers while others won't. Understand, some product like Vortex and Leupold can have 40 to over 100% price markups. This allows dealers high profit margins on some low volume goods.

The price you see advertised is the MAP price (Minimum Advertised Price) set by the manufacturer. This means that a dealer can't list the product in print or on a website lower than the MAP price but he can sell it for any price he wishes. When you see something that says Call For Quote, it's because of MAP pricing.

Some manufactures use what is known as Universal Pricing. The manufacturer sets the minimum price. The manufacture sells to distributors. Dealers buying from X distributor must ALL sell at the designated minimum price or they can be cut off from buying from X distributor. Leupold and Nikon are priced Universally for example.

If the dealer has enough buying power to buy manufacture direct, the terms of sale can often be negotiated between dealer and manufacture or dealer and distributor.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understood, looks like for once I got lucky. The Razor HDs have come down quite a bit originally they were MAP of $2400, selling for around $2000 with a wait to get one, now down to $1699, for once I didn't jump on the newest thing at it's high point. Got to love it when the newer model comes out.

The scope and rings arrive Monday, luckily I've got the day off. I've been using a loner scope (Leupold MK4) off another rifle for load development, so it's just an issue of mounting and sighting in, so I should have it sorted out Monday.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
You may have special pricing as a repeat customer. I buy 99% of my guns & ammo on line. That is where the best prices usually are.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
You may have special pricing as a repeat customer. I buy 99% of my guns & ammo on line. That is where the best prices usually are.
Sure, that can help weather you buy online or over the counter.

Another way you might get a good price is from promotions. There are customer promotions and also dealer promotions. All can take advantage of a customer promotion but only dealers participating in a dealer promotion from a distributor or manufacture can take advantage of those cost savings. The dealer then can keep the savings or extend the savings to all customers or only preferred customers.

It is also common for sales associates of a dealer to receive an allocation of a hot item. He can sell it at a designated bottom price and receive a lower margin, sell at whatever price he thinks the market will bear or even barter with another sales associate for another or different allocated item he might need for some other customer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts