Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cell phones - signal and lack of it!! So often we discuss in threads about ''calling in'' events - but you know - I can think of loadsa places I can be round here and get near zero signal. It's crazy - and of course hardly helped by mountains and ridges all over.

For those folks in towns and cities - not too bad but live semi rural as I do - it's grim. One mountain top is about 4 miles away - and I can look and see a mast but - my area down in the plains below if you will - minimal signal. It's time things improved.

Despite any wish to ''call in'' in an emergency, I am afraid I and probably many others may not have that luxury - unless we quickly find a land line nearby. It sucks :frown:

·
Super Moderator
23,584 Posts
Yep - our signal here in TX is weak most of the time. In CO, in the mountains, where we spend too little time, its a lot worse.

Smoke signals anyone?

Anyone here have shortwave?

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
While calling for help is a nice luxury, we carry so we can be self reliant. I keep tools and ect in the truck too, so I can atleast attempt to fix problems.
I consider the cell phone as more of a event recorder, if I have time to call 911.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No signal! But then how are the antis supposed stop crime without their greatest weapon the cell phone!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Rock and Glock said:
Yep - our signal here in TX is weak most of the time. In CO, in the mountains, where we spend too little time, its a lot worse.

Smoke signals anyone?

no shortwave here, but do have amateur radio license. Always have a 2 meter, 70 cm and 6 meter in the car. The advantages are you can call into a "repeater" which sends your sig farther out there. Most area repeaters here in OKC area can reach out there at least 30-40 miles, some even 70-80 miles, depending on height of antenna, terrain, etc.
I have talked to people 100+ miles without the repeater, using simplex with an amplifier.

Anyone that is interested in Ham radio should look into their local area for radio news because this weekend all (or most) of the U.S.A. will be participating in field day, where they will setup a station outside with emergency power, portable antennas and different radios. The general public is welcome to come see what its all about and they will even let you try out the radios (supervised, I'm sure)

I have been a Ham for 4 years now and I enjoy it! (besides, I get the police, emergency freqs on my radios too, a plus!)
one last note, on some repeaters they have what is called an autopatch, which will let you call a landline via your radio!

·
Registered
211 Posts
You could always move down here to south florida where the tallest thing to block signals, other than the buildings, are the landfills. Otherwise it is flat, flat, and flat. I got a signal last weekend in the middle of Big Cypress (Everglades).

·
Banned
189 Posts
RdRaceWannabe said:
No signal! But then how are the antis supposed stop crime without their greatest weapon the cell phone!
By hitting them with it of course! Just like in the commercial where one guy drills the other guy off the head with his cell phone in the locker room claiming it's the theft deterrent.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Rock and Glock said:

Smoke signals anyone?

Well, yes :)

Been listening to shortwave radio since I was 10 years old, and just got my ham license last summer - a month or two before my CCW permit.

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
One of the things I did was make sure that my cell phone would roam on both analog and digital systems. A lot of the newer phones will only do digital now. But, of course even that doesn't garantee a signal when you need it....... Just ups the odds!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The question really is: what do you see as the purpose of 911? Pre-emptively, if you are somewhere beyond signal, you're wasting time calling, anyhow. An assault would be over, a fire would have cooked you, and Aunt Edna will be approaching room temp after choking, if you are waiting on help. Any and all of these situations can, and should be, dealt with by the Responsible Individual On-Scene-YOU.

911 is calling the clean-up crew. Yes, absolutely, you have the legal obligation to report an incident at the soonest opportunity. "Opportunity" is the key word.

Unless you require direction(and expecting this is being REALLY optimistic, in many cases), 911 is a post-incident call.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Look on the bright side.... Without cell phone service, you just can't have any BG's surviving to testify against you. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Stop or I'll . . .

:yup: Come on, now. Cell phones are a very powerful part of the arsenal. Don't forget the deterent factor, the sheer intimidation, of quick drawing your camera phone and saying, "Stop or I'll shoot!" Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey, Moe! Hey, Moe!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Rob72 said:
The question really is: what do you see as the purpose of 911? Pre-emptively, if you are somewhere beyond signal, you're wasting time calling, anyhow. An assault would be over, a fire would have cooked you, and Aunt Edna will be approaching room temp after choking, if you are waiting on help. Any and all of these situations can, and should be, dealt with by the Responsible Individual On-Scene-YOU.

911 is calling the clean-up crew. Yes, absolutely, you have the legal obligation to report an incident at the soonest opportunity. "Opportunity" is the key word.

Unless you require direction(and expecting this is being REALLY optimistic, in many cases), 911 is a post-incident call.
Agree. If you are in an area with no signal, chances are high hat you are a long way from help. Might as well send a letter for what good it will do!

Besides, cell phones are probably on the liberals list of things to ban anyway. Too many people driving and dialling....

Hey, if it saves just one liberal.......

·
Registered
289 Posts
Rob72 said:

Nonsense. Lots of scenarios can be avoided be judicious use of a cell phone. Enraged driver following you? Call cops and have them to the dirty work. Creepy guy loitering in the hallway? Call cops, have them deal with it. Noise downstairs in the house? Well you can clear the house yourself or arm yourself, barricade up in a safe place with the family, call the cops and have the pros do it. (this is of course, assuming reasonable response time)

What you are talking about is the mugging, the immediate rape, kidnapping, etc in which you have little time to react and act, which is fine and then I agree with you, but you have to admit that there are a lot of scenarios in which a cell phone is a great, and I'd say necessary tool.

But that's just me. I have very little Rambo in me and I really want to stay out of the court system.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you have to admit that there are a lot of scenarios in which a cell phone is a great, and I'd say necessary tool.
Totally agree James - IF a signal :wink:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
jamz said:
Nonsense. Lots of scenarios can be avoided be judicious use of a cell phone.

But that's just me. I have very little Rambo in me and I really want to stay out of the court system.
I didn't say cells were unnecessary, just that without a transponder nearby, they are a poor substitute for knowledge and skills. Absolutely, pave the legal path with a proactive notification when possible. Unfortunately, as a society, we have lost most sense of personal responsibility and the ability to judge when to go from "talk" to "kick". This applies to getting out of a burning building, or handling a confrontation in your driveway. Read the after-action assessment of the WTC strike- NYC changed several no-brainer ordinances to allow work-day drills and evacuation of buildings. Realistically, with a plan, 1000 or more people could have literally walked away.

Learn some basic first-aid, some grappling, maybe something about the electrical, gas and water service, in your area. I have no urge to be Rambo, I just like to be prepared.:wink:

·
Registered
289 Posts
You are entirely of my way of thinking. In addition to what you mentioned, a cell phone is an additional tool for (of?) preparedness.

I have in my head a trifecta of defense tools- transport, weapon, communications. In any situation I look to what will bring the least amount of hassle and ugliness down on me while removing the threat. The ability to go from "talk" to "kick" again involves constantly reviewing the threat and if talking ain't getting it done anymore, well then time to kick. :) I.E. if the guy lurking in the hall (phone the police) is no longer lurking, but rather actively trying to breach your door, then talking time is done (time to personally act). I take your point about personal responsibility, however. The cell is really all about dealing with it before you get too up close and personaly involved.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts