Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new member and new carry person ( 2009)

I manage a business that has a no carry policy .

This business has no reguards for safety of employees period.

One of the stores in Florida this month the person was shot

and robbed for the nightly bank deposit that each of us still

must take to bank nightly alone even after this shooting.

My Question is would you deploy your weapon if some one

was trying to Rob you in the business or in parking lot with

the deposit .

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you feel your life is in danger, deploy your weapon if you have the opportunity. Personally, I don't own too many things that I would risk my life over. And I know for certain that my boss doesn't own anything that I would risk my life over. That includes the nightly deposit. Usually, handing over the money is the best way to end a robbery (I realize there are no guarentees). Freeing your hands of up makes it easier to draw anyway. If you lose your job because you handed over the cash instead of fighting for it, you probably haven't lost much.

That's my $.02.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you feel your life is in danger, deploy your weapon if you have the opportunity. Personally, I don't own too many things that I would risk my life over. And I know for certain that my boss doesn't own anything that I would risk my life over. That includes the nightly deposit. Usually, handing over the money is the best way to end a robbery (I realize there are no guarentees). Freeing your hands of up makes it easier to draw anyway. If you lose your job because you handed over the cash instead of fighting for it, you probably haven't lost much.

That's my $.02.
I agree with that 110% take the cash and any other goods we offer

for sure .The thing we are starting to see here is even after

you give them every thing they still are shooting .

·
Registered
42 Posts
It seems to me, you're really asking two questions - 1) would I violate company policy and carry concealed while on the job, and 2) would I use my weapon in SD if/when I had it in my possession on the job.

The answer to the first is, yes. I would carry even in violation of company policy unless to do so would constituted a violation of State law.

The answer to the second question has to be more qualified. I would use my weapon without hesitation in SD or in the defense of others assuming that deadly force was being used or was being imminently threatened; and in the case of the latter that the imminent threat satisfied all elements of the SD triangle (i.e., ability, opportunity, and jeopardy could all be reasonably articulated).

The bottom line in my mind is that a job can be replaced, a life (mine or someone elses) cannot. JMO.

PS This situation seems to come up a lot in FL. Answering part two of the question got easier when legislators revised the Castle Doctrine to apply outside the home - there is no longer a burden on the citizen to attempt to flee from the threat. One can now stand there ground and defend themselves or others in keeping with the threat presented.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
"Stuff" is just that---"stuff". It is usually replaceable and, in many cases, insured. This goes for home "stuff", as well. I lock and secure my bedroom door, which is the only place where my wife and I are (no kids). If my home is being robbed at night, I stay in my bedroom, call 911, activate car alarm, and let them have my "stuff". If they force their way into my bedroom they will die. If you fear for your life--then all bets are off--if it just "stiff" letum have it and stay out of the way. "Stuff" can be replaced--you can't be.

·
Super Moderator
19,799 Posts

I guess I'm just not smart about small businesses. If my company was big enough to have multiple stores, there's no way I would make line employees make bank deposits AT NIGHT. I think there is greater risk overall - and with higher stakes (i.e., safety of people) - than with leaving money in the till or in a back room safe overnight. Send someone out to the bank during the day!

Further, I am aghast that a company that expects its employees to take the risk of making cash deposits at night would also demand that the same employees not be armed. Am I the only one here who thinks this is completely irresponsible of the business and its owner? Let the freakin' boss take that risk!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Me, I couldnt toss the deposit bag fast enough. An optimist will hope the threat splits with the cash. A pragmitist now has his hands free. A pessimist has already anticipated possibly being accosted and has the bag in his weak hand, ready to toss and already has an exit plan/confrontation scenario.

So many scenarios, so little time. When it happens, nothing ever seem to go quite to plan. But its nice to have some options!
Go hit the rangemaster and run some robbery scenarios.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Give them the money....Then if you shot or not matters none....#1 Be Alive.........Turn the tables on the ignorant %(*...... Time for compensation!!!! lets see PTSD, cant work, nightmares etc..all because of a deposit policy endangering employees

Not saying this will happen but............

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i might have a problem with the boss considering your delivering the deposit after hours as being at work even though you are performing a work duty...having a no gun policy on company property or during business hours is his choice...i'm not sure if his choice extends beyond company hours and off premises during those times...

i know there have been cases of employees taking a backup computer tape home at night, getting into an accident and claiming workmans comp becuase they were performing a work duty by taking the backup home (weak but creative)....i just am not certain this scenario is all work related...

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
My daughter has to make deposites at about 9PM when they close,the bank
is 125 yard from the door. I always told my daughter to go to the drive through drop, & FL. employees can't stop you from having a sidearm in your veical ; ) if you have your permitt & she dose. Goosd Luck & stay safe
H/D

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I would do whatever is required to stay alive. Even if I got fired, I can always get another job, but I can't get another life.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I would still carry a gun at that kind of job especially if it involved taking funds to the bank at night. The people that would rob you wouldn't hesitate to kill you to eliminate the possibility of a witness. If that don't work for the company you can always get another job with a company that cares about your safety.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
When I worked at a Radio Shack I made the night deposits whenever I closed. While company policy was no weapons at work, I always had one in my truck. Shortly before closing I would always move my truck up close to the store. The trip from the store to my car was only a few steps and I was armed as soon as I was in it. I'm pretty sure I would have lost my job if I had had to use my gun, but technically I violated no company policy, since I was not on the clock when making the night drop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not), in FL your employer cannot restrict you from having a weapon in your vehicle. Even if you don't carry it on the job, you still can keep it in your vehicle which means that you have it should something happen should take place when making the nightly deposit. Although, if it was as you describe, I'd carry anyway and would probably already be looking for a new job.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Since the BG's seem to be shooting the victims, this one is easy... :yup:
Toss him the bag, when he catches it... shoot him... :image035:

·
Registered
388 Posts
The imbecile....

As a new member and new carry person ( 2009)

I manage a business that has a no carry policy .

This business has no reguards for safety of employees period.

My Question is would you deploy your weapon if some one

was trying to Rob you in the business or in parking lot with

the deposit .
at the company that instituted that policy is asking for serious trouble. Someone with a 'set' at the company needs to question the sanity of such a policy, and using that 'set', if needed, should make an investigation into the statutes that speak to such a policy. OSHA rules come to mind here...... The rules are easily researched. If your business is exempt, then there are perhaps other avenues for help. I find congressional representatives somewhat useful at times.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I agree with that 110% take the cash and any other goods we offer

for sure .The thing we are starting to see here is even after

you give them every thing they still are shooting .
If they are still unhappy after you give them the money then here's is what i would do.... Give them the money and use it as a distraction that is your chance to A.) Escape or B.) Defend yourself.:comeandgetsome:

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Would I break the law concerning CCW? No!
Would I break company policy concerning CCW? In your situation, yes!

Keep in mind, you won't have to worry about company policy anymore if you're dead.:ziplip::dead:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts