Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this Colt Series 80 Combat Elite at a gun show this past weekend. Price was $550.00 cash OTD, no paper trail.

This is the enhanced model, with Colt Accro white outline adjustable rear sight, plain post front sight, duckbill grip safety, undercut frame & beveled mag well. It came with 2 8 round mags.

It has been fired, but not very much, apparently. The action locks up tight, the trigger pull is acceptable, but could use some work, & the safeties all function as designed. It was made about 1995 or '96.

Eventually, I'll replace the wrap-around rubber stocks with something in wood. I may replace the flat mainspring housing with an arched one. The arched housing just feels better to me. I will certainly replace the roll pin that holds the rear sight on the slide with a solid pin. Roll pins have a nasty habit of falling out under recoil.

A range report will be a while yet. Range is still snowed in, so I won't be carrying this pistol until I put it thru its paces. But that gives me time to find a proper carry holster for it. (Leather, of course).

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Looks a nice find Crunch - must say I like those wrap grips, but would agree re arched mainspring housing. Love the beavertail too.

All in all - would seem a pretty nice deal :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
nice find. Is the frame brushed steel or similar? Hard to tell exactly from the pic.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have one of those, bought it new -- must have been in the 1990s sometime. The VZ black blasted canvas micarta grips look pretty good on it. Fair accuracy, nothing spectacular, but mine will just feed anything. Only reason I bought it was because I liked the two-tone look. I've never had a bit of trouble with mine - good luck with yours!

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rocky said:
nice find. Is the frame brushed steel or similar? Hard to tell exactly from the pic.
Sadly, a photographer I ain't!:rolleyes:

The frame is stainless steel, matte finish on the rounds, polished on the flats.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Captain Crunch said:
Range is still snowed in, so I won't be carrying this pistol until I put it thru its paces. But that gives me time to find a proper carry holster for it. (Leather, of course).
Might I suggest the Milt Sparks Executive Companion for IWB carry. I have one and, while I can't say that I don't notice that I am carrying a gun, when I went to the range in NJ, I had to keep telling myself, "Be sure to take the gun off when you leave the range, Be sure to..."

I checked it under a jacket and it doesn't seem to show a bulge even when I bend or lean.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Congrats on the new colt. I actualy prefer the flat mainspring housing and long trigger. We are defently going to need better pics, and a full range report. Don't be afraid to really put it through its paces, its a Colt it'll handle it.:smile:

Gotta love that little prancing pony :danceban:

·
Registered
737 Posts
:thumbsup: Can't go wrong with a Colt! I just got back from putting the 290th round through mine without a failure. Enjoy yours!

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
NICE CATCH ya got there captain!..........Put it thru the torturte test.......it's a Colt..............Takes a likkin and keeps on tickin

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
Nice! :congrats:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts